Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Hard drive and cd rom on same IDE channel (Read 13762 times)
Mechatronic
N00b

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Hard drive and cd rom on same IDE channel
Aug 8th, 2006 at 12:49am

Hello, I recently found Radified since I'm getting a new hard drive and want to partition it for maximum efficiency. 

I have 2 hard drives, a dvd-rom and a cd burner.  Is it possible to have the Master hard drive connected to the dvd-rom on IDE channel 1 and the other Slave hard drive connected to the cd-burner on IDE channel 2?

Any replies would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks

*I'm still in the process of charting out my two hard drives and looking for the best way to do so.  I recently discovered that I could potentially have a dual boot system so that I could play old games such as Mechwarrior 2.  I still need to look into that.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Re: Hard drive and cd rom on same IDE channel
Reply #1 - Aug 8th, 2006 at 1:05am

Mechatronic

What you may have to look into--older IDE controllers--the faster device on a given channel had to slow down to the slower speed of the two devices--so it wasn't a good idea to have slower optical devices on same channel as the HDD's--which were usually faster.

Newer controllers, I think that is no longer an issue--each device runs at it's rated speed independently--but that's what you need to confirm for your system.

Recent partitioning threads--you may have seen these:

Partitioning Help, Dual Booting

Drive Partitioning for CAD use.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

Mechatronic
N00b

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #2 - Aug 8th, 2006 at 1:12am

Thanks for the quick reply.

I was wondering where I can find that information about my system.  Does it depend on what year it was made?  I have a Dell 4550 made in Dec 2002.

Thanks again

IP Logged

ckcc
Technoluster

South Carolina, USA

Reply #3 - Aug 8th, 2006 at 1:44am

This is what I ran across recently adding a 3rd HD to my system:

Original setup:
IDE channel 1
    60 GB HD- master
    60 GB HD- slave
IDE channel 2
    DVD Burner- Master or single

I added a 160 GB HD to channel 2 with my burner but thinking the HD would be better as master, I switched the burner to slave. Well a few days later when I attempted to backup a DVD movie I found my ripping time (time taken to save to HD)  had pretty much doubled. Well I thought that maybe it was because I was saving to the new HD on the same channel as the DVD drive... so I tried saving to the other drive on channel 1.... same results. Hmmm...so I simply swapped the jumpers to make the DVD drive master and the HD slave and all was back to normal. I don't know the reason for this happening.

I have always kept optical drives and hard drives on seperate channels till now. You just may have to try different configurations to see if any give problems. Personally I would put the HD's together on channel 1 but don't really know if it would make any difference.

If anything can go wrong, it already did, and you just now noticed it.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #4 - Aug 8th, 2006 at 1:51am

Mechatronic

Based on these two references, your system should be okay:

How should I install my DVD-RW hardware?

Is it possible to have 3 optical drives?

But ckcc has a valid point--it seems to all depend on one's particular system--even different HDD's on different controller chips on the same system can perform differently depending on their position and controller--not to mention what file system is in use!

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #5 - Aug 8th, 2006 at 1:57am

ckcc,

Did you happen to notice if the DVD drive was DMA or PIO when it was a slave?

It happened to me. My DVD drive was very slow and I found it was set to PIO. I simply had to turn it ON in the BIOS and then it was DMA. It still worked when it was OFF in the BIOS but at PIO speed.

IP Logged

ckcc
Technoluster

South Carolina, USA

Reply #6 - Aug 8th, 2006 at 10:07am

Brian,

No, I didn't notice the DMA setting at the time. Would it change the setting on its on by just changing from master to slave? It always  worked fine until I added the HD.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #7 - Aug 8th, 2006 at 3:16pm

ckcc,

Are you an experimenting type like me? I'd change it back (HD to Master, DVD to Slave) and check the DMA/PIO mode settings and ripping speed.

IP Logged

ckcc
Technoluster

South Carolina, USA

Reply #8 - Aug 9th, 2006 at 10:04am

Brian,

Yes I am the experimenting type and I may try it... but I have several other "experiments" that I'm working on at the moment.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print