Send Topic Print
Ghost 9. Image? (Read 6707 times)
Karti
N00b

I love YaBB 1 Gold!

Ghost 9. Image?
Aug 11th, 2006 at 8:37am

Hi,
As a user of ghost for some time, mainly version 8, I have currently moved  on to VMware which will open Ghost 9 and above images as a virtual machine by importing.

My question is this. I have ghost 10 and cannot save the image without creating restore points and installing the software. All I want to do is create an image from a partition I have that must have standard software on it only, that I can do testing on. Does version 9 allow you to create bootable disks and cds like the older versions? so I can just image from dos?

I have ordered  ver 9( which should be arriving soon.....)

Many thanks for any help

K
Wink

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Re: Ghost 9. Image?
Reply #1 - Aug 11th, 2006 at 10:04am

Quote:
I have ghost 10 and cannot save the image without creating restore points and installing the software.

A "restore point" is the terminology for an image in Ghost 10.  Just create what is called an independent restore point, and you will have created a backup image.

There is an undocumented feature in the Ghost 10 Recovery boot CD: Choose "restore from legacy version of ghost" and the boot cd loads version 8.2 (I think that's the number) of Ghost.  However instead of choosing restore, you'll find options to create a Ghost 8.2 image from partition or drive as well--all from the Ghost 10 boot cd without having to previously install Ghost on your hard drive.

Ghost 10 retail box also came with Ghost 2003 cd, which is the dos version of older version of Ghost.  Look on this forum for lots of information on Ghost 2003 if you want to try it.

Ghost4me  Ghost 9, 10, 12, 14, 15.  Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #2 - Aug 11th, 2006 at 10:08am

Ghost4me  Ghost 9, 10, 12, 14, 15.  Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Newport Beach, California

Reply #3 - Aug 11th, 2006 at 10:43am

Re: "
There is an undocumented feature in the Ghost 10 Recovery boot CD: Choose "restore from legacy version of ghost" and the boot cd loads version 8.2 (I think that's the number) of Ghost.  However instead of choosing restore, you'll find options to create a Ghost 8.2 image from partition or drive as well--all from the Ghost 10 boot cd without having to previously install Ghost on your hard drive
."

There's a tasty bit of info.

8.2 is the corporate version of *real* ghost, right? (not pq drive image)

IP Logged

Pleonasm
Übermensch

Reply #4 - Aug 11th, 2006 at 11:14am

Karti, can you kindly say more about your experiences importing a Ghost (version 9 or 10) image into VMware Workstation or VMware Player?  It is quite intriguing, but – based on my research – seems to be excessively complicated by Windows XP activation and the requirement of purchasing a second Windows license.

In advance, thanks for sharing.

ple • o • nasm n. “The use of more words than are required to express an idea”

IP Logged

Karti
N00b

I love YaBB 1 Gold!

Reply #5 - Aug 11th, 2006 at 2:28pm

At work we have a ghost image of Win 2K that we use on all our networked PCs. It was created in ver 8 . The one I have is used for testing software prior to it being put on the network.

Each piece of software is tested on a clean workstation that has only the operating system and other default programs. Once the new software has been tested I reimage the partition with the basic ghost image.

Because the ghost image we use is fixed for our network I cannot add other software to it. In Ghost 8 this is not a problem as we have the bood floppy or boot cds for when we create new images. This is where my problem comes in.

I want to use VMware to assist in my testing. The latest VMware allows you to import ghost images and create host PCs that will make live easier for me.

However it only imports from images created in Ver 9 and upwards. It will not import the old .gho but the newer version (I think its .v2si ?)

I need however image my workstation without the ghost software on it. I could do this with the old boot disks but I need to know if I can do the same vith version 9.

Hope that helps...

K
Wink

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #6 - Aug 11th, 2006 at 4:10pm

Karti wrote on Aug 11th, 2006 at 2:28pm:
I need however image my workstation without the ghost software on it. I could do this with the old boot disks but I need to know if I can do the same vith version 9.

Karti,

I've done this many times.

http://radified.com/cgi-bin/YaBB/YaBB.cgi?board=general;action=display;num=11192...

You make the Ghost 9/Reatogo XPE CD on a computer which has Ghost 9 installed. If you have Norton Anti Virus then you will get a message about a "virus" when you download the plugin. The file is OK with most other antivirus programs.

IP Logged

Karti
N00b

I love YaBB 1 Gold!

Reply #7 - Aug 12th, 2006 at 2:58am

Ghost 9 should be arriving in a day or so and I will try it.

Many thanks, just a pity it wasn't as easy as creating a ghost boot disk like the good old days!

I'll come back to say how sucessful I have been!

K
Wink

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print