Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Checking for Program Update Fails Detection (Read 5970 times)
Pleonasm
Übermensch

Checking for Program Update Fails Detection
Aug 15th, 2006 at 9:50am

It could be coincidence, but it seems that several programs on my PC fail to detect the presence of a program update when one is available.  For example, Symantec Live Update doesn’t find and download updates to itself (but all other types of updates are processed okay), and Adobe Acrobat Standard reports “"No updates are available at this time” even when updates do exist on the Adobe website.  In such cases, manually downloading and installing the update is successful.

Any ideas why the "check for updates" option fails to detect the availability of program updates?

Thank you for your assistance.

ple • o • nasm n. “The use of more words than are required to express an idea”

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Newport Beach, California

Re: Checking for Program Update Fails Detection
Reply #1 - Aug 15th, 2006 at 10:49am

i have noticed this peculiar behavior also.

not sure why this is, but i reasoned it away by assuming the manufacturer waits a while after releasing the update, before doing what is necessary to make the update available to the auto-update, cuz once the auto-update goes into effect, there will be relatively *many* folks updating, whereas relatively few with grab the updagtes themselves.

if they get no major complaints (a form of beta testing), then they make the update available for auto-updating.

i'm sure they can control the two different types (manual & auto-updates).

but either way, your observation is common.

IP Logged

Pleonasm
Übermensch

Reply #2 - Aug 15th, 2006 at 3:40pm

Rad, good to know that the annoyance is not unique to my PC.

I wondered if the problem might be caused by – or related to – an out-of-date InstallShield Update Manager or something similar . . . .

ple • o • nasm n. “The use of more words than are required to express an idea”

IP Logged

I_B__Me
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Aug 31st, 2006 at 7:00pm

Hope you're not delinquent like I sometimes am, as in not updating Ghost 2003 soon enough, and now when I try LiveUpdate, the response is somewhat like you describe, "your Symantec software is up-to-date" or some such, and I KNOW my version of 2003 is NOT the last version.

Checked Downloads at Symantec, and learned that they no longer support 2003.  So, their response to 2003 LiveUpdate SHOULD have been "your Symantec software is as updated as it's gonna ever be."  May not apply to your situation, but thought it might be interesting.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print