Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Strategy please 160GB, (2) 320GB and a NAS (Read 7714 times)
DanK
N00b

Strategy please 160GB, (2) 320GB and a NAS
Aug 15th, 2006 at 11:09am

I need a strategy to set up my PC's hardrives. Here is the hardware I am using:

AMD 64 3200+
2GB RAM
Leadtek PX6600 GT
(1) 160GB Western Digital Special Edition IDE drive
(2) 320 GB 7200.10 Seagate drives
(1) ReadyNAS Nv with 4 320GB 7200.10 Seagate drives.(RAID X)

I am planning on using the system for video editing, animation, basic graphics, occasional gaming, personal orginaization, web development etc....  It's pretty much my everything system. The only thing it won't be doing is acting as my web server, email server and testbed for server based software.. I have separate system for that.

This is what I am thinking. The NAS is the hub for storage and backups. The 2 Barracudas I was going to configure in RAID 0 for pretty much anything that requires a large swap space and would benefit from RAID 0 such as PhotoShop, Premier and After Effects. The 160GB drive would be used for OS's and programs and likely contain a partition for sharing files between XP and Linux. I would like to have XP installed on this system(not XP 64 since Vista will replace that), the 64-bit version Fedora 5 to run Maya 8 and Motion Builder on and probably Ubuntu for the fun of it. At some point I would want to install Vista when it is released but as a test OS until they get the major bugs worked out.

I am thinking I would want to Ghost my OS's everytime I made updated drivers or installed programs. These images would be stored on the NAS. I would probably want to back up the Linux/XP shared partition since it is likely to contain working files for animation projects I am working on. The same would go for the data on the RAID 0 array(Do you ghost this too or use some other method of daily backup?) What I also want to be able to do is use my web server to upload files remotely and copy them to the NAS for use on my home network(since my web server is not usually on when I am home.)

Can someone give me some feedback whether this is a logical setup? if it is can I get some guidance on partitioning the 160GB drive and setting up my NAS(I think i need to set up volumes.) Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Newport Beach, California

Re: Strategy please 160GB, (2) 320GB and a NAS
Reply #1 - Aug 15th, 2006 at 1:43pm

maya is up to version 8 already? dang. (i had v4.)

okay this is fun. you have a lot to wotk with. gimme a little time to think about it.

had to look this up:

http://www.infrant.com/products/products_details.php?name=ReadyNAS%20NV

http://www.tomsnetworking.com/2006/03/03/infrant_readynas_nv/

cool stuff.

well, first you want a few partitions on the boot/system drive for various operating systems, such as:

1. normal pc-related functions (windows xp)
2. a separate partition for work-related stuff, to minimize compatibility glitches with non-work-related stuff.
3. a separate partition reserved for windows vista when it finally arrives.
4. i think you mentioned linux

you have seen strategies presented here:?

http://partition.radified.com/

the big question, it seems to me, is whether to raid the two seagate monsters.

raid-0 has both its pro' & con's, but it con's (lack of fault tolerance) seem much bigger than it's pro's (speed)

but if you can back them up yo the nas, then that eliminates it's biggest (only?) negative.

IP Logged

DanK
N00b

Reply #2 - Aug 15th, 2006 at 2:53pm

Considering I am usually work with huge PhotoShop files and will be moving into video editing I figured RAID 0 would be best and you are correct that I would be back up files to the NAS. I had thought about only sticking 1 320GB drive in my system and then saving the other for hot swaping in case I had a drive go down on the NAS but in a RAID X config(which is basically RAID 5 with extra capabilities) It wold be the end of the world if I had to order one and wait for it to arrive. of course there is always the chance a second drive goes down.

Out of all of this the real complexity of this setup is the 160GB drive IMHO. It's going to have XP and Fedora 5 on it for sure. I'll probably want to try out Vista when it arrives and I would want to try out Ubunto and maybe even a couple other Linux distros but I won't get overzealous about that right now since I am a Linux noob. So at the bare minimum I want to run XP and Fedora 5. I play games from time to time so I am guessing, according to your strategy page, that I should probably have a partition for them. Then I would need a FAT32 partition to share files between Linux and XP. My question is how much space to give each partition and the procedure to set them up for optimal performance. I've used Partition Magic once and I have never used a Ghosting software so I really don't know where to start. I'm also a bit clueless on how you would setup the NAS. I imagine you can partition that as well. I think the term they use is "volume" but again I don't know for sure.

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Reply #3 - Aug 15th, 2006 at 2:59pm

regarding linux partitions, here is email i got recently from magoo:

( http://guides.radified.com/magoo/guides/wireless/wireless_networking_01.htm )

http://radified.com/blog/archives/000273.html

Swap size depends on how much memory you have and what you will be using the computer for. On my desktop, I have 768 or RAM and a 1 GB  swap and it is MORE then enough.  In fact, I hardly ever use any swap space.

If you are putting everything else on one partition, I wouldn't make it much less than 5GB.  You can make it as big as you want, of course.

Personally, I prefer to break my file system into a few different partitions.  It makes backup/recovery and upgrading much easier.

Something like 5GB for root (/), 1GB for home (/home), and 500MB for TMP.  Most people also make /var separate.  1GB is more than enough for that.

RiserFS is the best, or even Riser4, if your distro has it available. If you are worried about allowing things like Ghost to read  your partitions, you need to stick with ext3.  If you want Windows to be able to read the partition, Fat32 is your only choice.  If you want to encrypt your data (for security on something like a laptop that might get misplaced) then use ext2.

/var holds most of the logs and some of the configuration data for programs that run inside of secure zones (called "jails" or chroots.)

Because it holds the log files, it is nice to have a separate partition so that the root file system doesn't fill with logs.  This also helps keep your jailed applications where they belong.

update: i copy-n-pasted his comments in a web page:

http://partition.radified.com/partitioning_linux.htm

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Reply #4 - Aug 15th, 2006 at 3:16pm

so it looks like you're going to have to plan your partitions, especially if you wanna run two different versions of linux.

good news is, you have the space.

IP Logged

DanK
N00b

Reply #5 - Aug 15th, 2006 at 4:02pm

"so it looks like you're going to have to plan your partitions, especially if you wanna run two different versions of linux. "

That's my quandry. Where do I start? Install XP first on its own NTFS partion then set up all of the other partitions using Partition Magic? How big would you make the OS partitions for XP, Fedora, Games etc.. on a 160GB drive?

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Reply #6 - Aug 15th, 2006 at 4:24pm

around here, the word 'dank' has very specific connotations. =)

1. wxp for work stuff/programs, sinced that is prolly where you'll be spending the most time: 30-GB

2. wxp for all normal (non-work) relate functions: 30-GB

3. reserved  for ms vista: 30-GB (you can store other stuff here until vista is released, or try some of the beta versions floaing around.

4. that leaves you with 70-GB. see magoo's guidance for linux for partitioning the rest.

you could put the linux partitions first, if that would be easier for you.

you could either partition the 1st 30-GB section, and install XP and partition the rest later (with windows), or ...

..do everything with fdisk at the beginning (which is what i always do):

http://fdisk.radified.com/

IP Logged

DanK
N00b

Reply #7 - Aug 17th, 2006 at 7:54am

Another twist to this saga. Actually a couple of twists. First off Fedora hangs right in the beggining of install. It finds the video card and then goe to a screen with green stripes and then to another garbled screen. Nvidia driver problem?

But here is the new glitch. I created the GB partition for XP and installed it. Installed MS office, MS project, Firefox, Thunderbird, Dragon NaturallySpeaking, Yahoo! Music Jukebox, Partition Magic 8.0, the NAS utility software and all my drivers. That took up something like 13GB. Then I went to install Adobe Production Studio Premium. Check out the requirements at the end of this post for this bad boy! I've highlighted the relevant HD requirements. This obviously puts me over 30GB and I haven't even installed FLash, Dreamweaver, Fireworks, CF 7 and probably another 10 programs. What would you suggest for a partitioning strategy? I would prefer not to break up programs categories into seprate partitions since I'm an ADD(Attention Deficit Disorder) inflicted multi-tasker and like to have instance access to whatever I need immediately. 

• Intel® Pentium® 4 1.4GHz processor for DV (Pentium 4 3.4GHz processor for HDV; dual Intel Xeon™ 2.8GHz processors for HD; SSE2-enabled processor required for AMD systems)
  • Microsoft® Windows® XP Professional or Home Edition with Service Pack 2
  • 512MB of RAM (1GB required when running multiple applications and when using Adobe Dynamic Link; 2GB required for HDV and HD)
  • 21GB of available hard-disk space for installation (additional 10GB recommended for After Effects disk caching)
  • Dedicated 7,200RPM hard drive for DV and HDV editing; striped disk array storage (RAID 0) for HD
  • 1,280x1,024 video display with 32-bit color adapter
  • DVD-ROM drive required for installation
  • DVD+-R burner required for DVD creation
  • CD-RW drive required for audio CD creation
  • Microsoft DirectX-compatible sound card (multichannel ASIO-compatible sound card required for surround sound support)
  • OHCI-compatible IEEE 1394 video interface card for DV and HDV (AJA Xena HS for HD)
  • QuickTime 6.5 software required to import/export QuickTime files
  • For Adobe PostScript® printers: PostScript Level 2 or PostScript 3™
  • Internet or phone connection required for product activation and Internet-related services
  • Broadband Internet connection required for Adobe Stock Photos (The Adobe Stock Photos service may not be available in all countries, languages, and currencies and is subject to change. Use of the service is governed by the Adobe Stock Photos Terms of Service. For details, visit www.adobe.com/adobestockphotos.)
  • For OpenGL support: Adobe After Effects supported OpenGL 2.0 card (Nvidia recommended). For a current list, visit www.adobe.com/products/aftereffects/opengl.html.
  • Adobe-recommended graphics card required for GPU-accelerated playback (see complete listing at www.adobe.com/compatiblehardware).

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Reply #8 - Aug 17th, 2006 at 8:46am

i always put prgms that are larger than a few hundred megs (more than what can fit on a cd) on a separate partition. this way my back-up ghost images remain relatively small.

either, you have to off-load those monsters to another partition, or make the windows system partition bigger (such as 50 or 60 gigs).

do you have any other prgms that require lots of space?

it's not a problem to install prgms to another partition. windows will remember where they are located. you don't have to remember.

there are tricks to trimming the partition size, such as minimizing system restore size, but you shouldn't haver to, with so much space.

IP Logged

DanK
N00b

Reply #9 - Aug 17th, 2006 at 9:14am

Before I rebuilt this sytem I used to have one partition for XP and any programs that forced themselves on that partition and then a separate partition for all of my other programs. Is there wisdom in doing it this way? Ghost backup size is not going to be an issue for awhile since I'll have nearly a terabyte of space on my NAS to store them on.

How would you handle the "addtional 10GB for AfterEffects disk caching"

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Reply #10 - Aug 17th, 2006 at 2:18pm

like i said, i like to install all my prgms to my windows (system) partition (default), cuz that means i only need to take one image & i get both the system (windows) & all installed prgms, .. *except* for multi-cd prgms, which i install to a different partition, so my images stay small, and it takes LESS TIME to create back-up images.

http://ghost.radified.com/

if you install yer prgms to *another* partition, you need to image/back that up also (separately) .. need 2 stones to kill the back-up bird.

last time i used after effects, i believe it offers you the option of designating the scratch disk manually, so you can change that to the raid stripe, which would be faster.

maybe create a partition at rhe beginning of the stripe specifically for scratch disks. (like 50-GB??)

personally, i would not install 20-GB and 10-GB prgms to my windows partition (for reasons already mentioned), but this is all personal preference.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print