Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Symantec Recovery Disk problem... (Read 4800 times)
Sunday_Afternoon
Gnarly

Long-time Radified lurker...

Symantec Recovery Disk problem...
Aug 15th, 2006 at 12:11pm

Hi folks,

I am trying to set up a computer using Ghost 10 and am verifying the workings of the recovery environment before I play around with the partitions and generally radify the thing Smiley

Here is the problem:

1. I have successfully created a recovery point on an external Seagate USB drive.

2. I can successfully browse this recovery point using the regular Ghost 10 application - everything is where it should be.

3. I can successfully boot using the Symantec Recovery Disk.

4. I cannot see the USB disk which contains the recovery point mounted with a drive letter in the Ghost 10 recovery environment.

5. HOWEVER, when I select "recover using a legacy Ghost image", I can see and browse the partition which contains the recovery point - it is accessible, but does not have a drive letter.

So, I think my question is - how do I force the Symantec Recovery Disk to assign a drive letter to my USB device when it starts?

Thanks,
Sunday Afternoon

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Re: Symantec Recovery Disk problem...
Reply #1 - Aug 15th, 2006 at 2:22pm

Sunday_Afternoon

I'm betting you have a USB card reader that is left hooked up to the system when you boot to the Recovery Disk.

Simplest solution--disconnect the card reader!

See here: 
Missing External HDD's in Ghost 10's RE

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

Sunday_Afternoon
Gnarly

Reply #2 - Aug 16th, 2006 at 8:16am

NightOwl - you are correct that there is a USB card reader - it is internal and I was able to disconnect it. Still had the problem.

Thanks for the link - I am not surprised there is such a comprehensive analysis of the problem (Not sure why, but my initial search of the rad forums failed to find the thread).

I explored the various options recommended as fixes to the problem, but have not had any success. Options tried are:

1. Disconnect USB card reader
2. Reassign drive letters so that external disk is ahead of card reader letters
3. Sector edit of drive ID
4. Registry keys deletion

Any other ideas?
Thanks,
Sun pm

NightOwl wrote on Aug 15th, 2006 at 2:22pm:
Sunday_Afternoon

I'm betting you have a USB card reader that is left hooked up to the system when you boot to the Recovery Disk.

Simplest solution--disconnect the card reader!

See here: 
Missing External HDD's in Ghost 10's RE

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #3 - Aug 16th, 2006 at 9:12am

Sunday_Afternoon

Using the *Tool* that I outline in the above link in reply #7,
Part 3a:  The Tools for Investigation of the Problem
, find out how your external USB HDD is being shown in the Recovery Environment using Ghost32 v8.2.

Then compare that with how the USB HDD is listed in WinXP.

Post both here--would be helpful to see the list of all devices being mounted in the Recovery Environment under Ghost32 v8.2--might give a hint as to what's going on.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #4 - Aug 16th, 2006 at 1:04pm

Sunday_Afternoon wrote on Aug 16th, 2006 at 8:16am:
Thanks for the link - I am not surprised there is such a comprehensive analysis of the problem (Not sure why, but my initial search of the rad forums failed to find the thread).

Any other ideas?

Sunday_Afternoon, it looks like you've already tried some of the suggestions.  If you haven't already found it, there is a complete section in the FAQ Topicentitled

Ghost 10 Recovery CD Topics:

Take a look at the one-page summary thread which covers a lot of the options:

Simple solutions: USB2/Firewire drives & Ghost

Additionally if/when you delete the DosDevices registry entries, I recommend that you delete ALL DosDevices entries except your internal hard drive entries, then reboot to the Recovery CD and see if that helps.

Finally, although not mentioned anywhere else to my knowledge, check to be sure your computer BIOS is the most current version; if not, update it.

Ghost4me  Ghost 9, 10, 12, 14, 15.  Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #5 - Aug 16th, 2006 at 3:15pm

Sunday_Afternoon, this may not apply to you, but I have read on other support forums that sometimes using a USB keyboard and/or USB mouse has caused other bios USB detection problems.

If it applies, try using a PS2 mouse and PS2 keyboard instead.

Ghost4me  Ghost 9, 10, 12, 14, 15.  Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7

IP Logged

Sunday_Afternoon
Gnarly

Reply #6 - Aug 17th, 2006 at 2:38am

Thanks Ghost4me,

I have exhausted almost everything else - I am currently in email communication with Symantec who are being helpful, but the situation is not yet resolved.

John. wrote on Aug 16th, 2006 at 3:15pm:
Sunday_Afternoon, this may not apply to you, but I have read on other support forums that sometimes using a USB keyboard and/or USB mouse has caused other bios USB detection problems.

If it applies, try using a PS2 mouse and PS2 keyboard instead.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #7 - Aug 17th, 2006 at 3:16am

Sunday_Afternoon,

NightOwl is the expert in this area. Symantec have never shown that they understand the external USB problem with the Ghost 10 RE.

IP Logged

Sunday_Afternoon
Gnarly

Reply #8 - Aug 20th, 2006 at 10:18am

Thanks to everyone for their help. Just occasionally the drive is assigned a drive letter in the recovery environment, but it does it so infrequently that it is difficult to accurately determine any consistent behaviour. As my time with the machine is limited, this software is going to have to go back because it doesn't work with this system...

Pity, as Ghost is a good application.
Sun pm

Brian wrote on Aug 17th, 2006 at 3:16am:
Sunday_Afternoon,

NightOwl is the expert in this area. Symantec have never shown that they understand the external USB problem with the Ghost 10 RE.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print