Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Ghost Boot CDs not working at all? (Read 6077 times)
talcite
Ex Member

Ghost Boot CDs not working at all?
Aug 15th, 2006 at 7:03pm

Hey guys. I'm in the process of making ghost images for my entire family. Problem is that one of my systems refuses to boot from ghost 2003 DOS boot disks. The floppy disks don't work, and neither do the boot CDs. The ghost 2003 cd doesn't detect my CD drives.

If I select interactive DOS mode from windows, then it works perfectly.

Is there something wrong with my system? The boot CDs work in every other system.

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Newport Beach, California

Re: Ghost Boot CDs not working at all?
Reply #1 - Aug 15th, 2006 at 7:35pm

re: "
one of my systems refuses to boot from ghost 2003 DOS boot disks
"

you mean the boot floppy? you said 'disks', as in plural. i only need one (singular).

you get an error?

what happens?

you make the floppy(s) yourself?

usually in motherboard bios, there is a setting for boot order, beginning with floppy drive (if your system has one).

old system? new system?

IP Logged

talcite
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Aug 15th, 2006 at 8:25pm

Hey rad, thanks for replying so fast.

Well the thing is I can get the ghost gui running. But no window with the license information pops up. It stays at the hourglass indefinitely.

When i said disks, I meant the several boot floppies and CDs I've created in an attempt to solve this problem heh. I followed all the guides on this site when making them.

It's a relatively old system. It's a P4 s478 2.8ghz.

Is it possible it's an incompatibility with my system? It starts from hard drive from virtual disk though.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #3 - Aug 15th, 2006 at 8:54pm

talcite

What's *different* about this system that does not boot and the ones that do?

Do you have USB mouse or keyboard?  Wireless mouse or keyboard?

One or more USB external HDD's hooked up?  Other USB devices hooked up?

Quote:
If I select interactive DOS mode from windows, then it works perfectly.

That says you should be able to use Ghost on the system--but there's something that's not showing compatibility during Ghost's loading--do you have optical drives?  Do your boot disks load *oakcdrom.sys* and *mscdex.exe*?

If you open the Windows Ghost GUI interface, under the *Ghost Basic* tab--you will see *View Log*.  You should be able to open that log and see how Ghost set itself up to run from the *virtual partition*--what 's in the log regarding setup that seems to be missing from your floppy boot disk?  (There will be a lot of information there--but you are looking for what was included in the config.sys and the autoexec.bat--and any support drivers that were loaded.)  (
Are *oakcdrom.sys* and *mscdex.exe* being loaded
?)

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

talcite
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Aug 17th, 2006 at 12:23am

Hey nightowl.

I tried looking at the log but no luck. It was empty =S.

Yes, I have problems loading even from the ghost 2003 boot CD. Is it possible that I've got an incompatible optical drive?

Everything about the 2 systems is different. They're two totally seperate systems.

Is there any way to make the logs load?

I also think mscdex doesn't load, nor does the oakcdrom. I remember the windows 98 boot disk has problems.

Is there any workaround for this?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print