Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Created a Bootable CD but it freezes (Read 2828 times)
Jessie
Ex Member

Created a Bootable CD but it freezes
Aug 18th, 2006 at 7:37am

I followed all your steps in Project 1 to the tee (actually did it twice) to create a bootable dvd as we do not have a floppy drive in the notebook.  We used Nero to burn the dvd.  Used a dvd as the ghost image file was too large for a cd and didn't want to split it between several cd's.

When we boot with the cd we see "Loading Windows 98" then it freezes.   That's all we get.   

Why is it loading Windows 98...I thought this was a dos boot cd.

Where did we go wrong. Undecided

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Re: Created a Bootable CD but it freezes
Reply #1 - Aug 18th, 2006 at 8:52am

Jessie

Quote:
Why is it loading Windows 98...I thought this was a dos boot cd.

That question is *easy*--we're using the DOS that came with Win98--which still depended on DOS loading before the OS would operate--Microsoft embedded that loading label in the DOS boot files.

Quote:
Where did we go wrong.

That's a *harder* question  Wink !

Do you have the Ghost installation CD?  It's bootable to DOS--try that and see if it boot okay.

There are other boot CD's that boot to DOS--try *bootdisk.com*--and there are other sites that can be found through Google--basically need to troubleshoot to see where the problem might be.

Can you try the boot DVD on another computer--same result?

Can you try a boot CD instead of a DVD--any difference in the response?

When booting--before you get the "Loading Windows 98", but just after the system goes through its POST, hit F8 and select *step-by-step confirmation* of the boot files--report which command causes the freeze.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

Jessie
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Aug 18th, 2006 at 10:07am

Thanks for your quick reply.   We do not have the original Ghost CD so it does not boot.   We did not try the DVD in another computer.  

We ended up borrowing an external floppy drive and using a dos bootable floppy with CD support, used nero to burn to a dvd and using the floppy's boot image.  Added Ghost.exe and the .GHO file as data.  The PC will boot to dos, using this dvd.  We just have to load ghost and the image file manally which works for us for now.

Only issue with this dos boot dvd is that you can't see the c: drive as it's ntfs.   Your boot disk would be more valuable for supporting harddrive issues.

I will try tonight when I am home and using F8, try to see where it stops and let you know.

IP Logged

ben_mott
Nuclear Grade

Reply #3 - Aug 21st, 2006 at 3:01pm

Dos (FAT16 orFAT32)can not see NTFS
but Ghost.exe can (ie if it is ghost 7 or 8 ) earlier one's could not see NTFS either
to see NTFS you need to make a BART PE  CD and then you need
the Ghost32.exe and that is not available on ghost 2003 only
on enterprise version.
here is a link how to make a bootable Cd and how to automate it

http://www.911cd.net/forums//index.php?showtopic=14127
http://www.911cd.net/forums//index.php?showtopic=14127&st=20

Regards Ben
Wink

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print