Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Norton Ghost Recovery, Boot from harddrive? (Read 11306 times)
mewtwo064
N00b

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Norton Ghost Recovery, Boot from harddrive?
Aug 23rd, 2006 at 11:03pm

I was wondering, I've been using Norton Ghost 9.0 for a while now, and I must say,
it has saved me too many times to count. One bad thing, booting from CD into the
Recovery Environment is -slow-.

I would like to be able to make my secondary harddrive partition bootable, so I can
copy the recovery related files on to the hard drive and boot into the ghost recovery
environment, so i dont have to use the slow CD method.

My goal is to beable to boot into the recovery environment without the CD, because
it takes forever to boot into it, so basically running the recovery environment off
the harddrive; kind of like the Comaq computer deal, where you boot into their custom
recovery environment off the 2nd partition to reinstall windows.

My reasoning for doing this is I use Ghost more or less so I can safely experiment
on my computer with new things... If something messes up then all I gotta do is restore
from Ghost. So as you might have guessed, restoring from Ghost off a CD 3 or 4 times
a day gets slightly tedious  Undecided lol.

Is this possible? Thanks in advance!

IP Logged

mewtwo064
N00b

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Re: Norton Ghost Recovery, Boot from harddrive?
Reply #1 - Aug 23rd, 2006 at 11:08pm

I apoligize if a similar question has already been asked >.<;

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #2 - Aug 23rd, 2006 at 11:38pm

mewtwo064,

Sorry, you will have to continue booting into the CD Recovery Environment if you want to restore your WinXP. How long does it take? Mine takes three or four minutes.

You could avoid using the RE completely. You could install a second Win XP in another partition (hidden) and do your experimenting on that WinXP. When you want to restore your baseline image you can do it from your normal WinXP using Ghost 9 from Windows. So your normal WinXP rarely if ever needs to be restored from the RE. That's how I run my computer.

http://www.goodells.net/multiboot/index.htm

Another alternative is using a Virtual Machine but you need to buy the software and another WinXP license. What I outlined above is "free" if you already have partitioning software.

There is lots of help here if you want to go ahead.

IP Logged

mewtwo064
N00b

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #3 - Aug 24th, 2006 at 1:48pm

Ahhh ok... Oh well lol; was worth a shot =P. It takes my laptop about 30 minutes total from booting to restoring so its kinda slow. I already tried the dual boot option, it worked... until I had to restore my main windows installation... then replaced the boot.ini file with the updated one that worked with the dual boot... booted in to the "guinea pig" windows and it blue screened =\ so I figured it's more trouble than it's worth.

But what about having it boot from a flash drive then? Is that possible/faster? And would it fit on a 512 Meg drive, provided I got rid of unnecessary files?

Thanks for all the help!

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #4 - Aug 24th, 2006 at 4:11pm

mewtwo064 wrote on Aug 24th, 2006 at 1:48pm:
But what about having it boot from a flash drive then?

I haven't heard of anyone doing this. I have heard of BartPE being used from a USB flash drive but I've no experience using it that way. There is a Ghost 9 plugin for BartPE.

It doesn't sound like your dual boot was set up correctly. Shouldn't do that.

IP Logged

ben_mott
Nuclear Grade

Reply #5 - Aug 24th, 2006 at 4:12pm

here is How to do it:  (the way IBM /Lenovo do  by pressing F10,F11
function key on boot up)

http://www.911cd.net/forums//index.php?act=ST&f=2&t=14127&st=23#entry104967

Above Link Views 11,570  (25 August2006) so it is worth Browsing through there are also few useful tips about Ghost Bootable Cds the way similar to How E-machine and Advent used To do their recovery
cds .
regards Ben

IP Logged

mading
Dude

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #6 - Aug 25th, 2006 at 8:00am

well equally I also found this frustrating. (as temp. solution) I found so far =
I used Gosth23.exe(8.2) to make image.gho
I created a (small, a couple of MB is enough) Primary partition(at the beginning on my HD
I copied Ghost.exe(8.2) to this partition.
now I use a Dos starup cd, but you could also use FDD or something.
withes in comparison boots-up rather quickly than type:
c: then type ghost.exe and you ready to go.
but I hoping to find an even faster solution. you might want to check up on my post@ http://radified.com/cgi-bin/YaBB/YaBB.cgi?board=Extra_Rad_Forum;action=display;n...

IP Logged

mewtwo064
N00b

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #7 - Aug 27th, 2006 at 5:34am

Ahhh cool =P thanks for the tips everyone, ill try them out ^-^

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print