HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Disk Restore Report (Read 6930 times)
SteveP55419
Ex Member

Disk Restore Report
Aug 24th, 2006 at 5:37pm

I messed up my computer by installing some beta software and figured now would be a good time to test Ghost 10. I have been making weekly full backups since early Spring.

I run Win XP Pro with a RAID1 setup using SATA disks. I had my Ghost images on a separate SATA disk mounted in an Adonics Combo Hard Drive II drive cradle attached to a PCI SATA card.

I initiatated the restore in Windows and Ghost took me to DOS. I had roughly 80GB of data. It took 2 hours and did a perfect job.

The parachute image that Ghost uses on the box is appropriate. You run the program hoping you will never have to use it. Well, I used it and it worked.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Re: Disk Restore Report
Reply #1 - Aug 24th, 2006 at 6:14pm

Quote:
I initiatated the restore in Windows and Ghost took me to DOS. I had roughly 80GB of data. It took 2 hours and did a perfect job.

The parachute image that Ghost uses on the box is appropriate. You run the program hoping you will never have to use it. Well, I used it and it worked.

SteveP55419,

It's a nice feeling when you boot up after a successful restore. I haven't used RAID and I'm a little unclear on what you have done. Did you install Ghost 10 yourself or was it on the computer when it arrived? What is a "parachute image"?

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #2 - Aug 24th, 2006 at 6:43pm

SteveP55419

Quote:
I initiatated the restore in Windows and Ghost took me to DOS.

Hmmm...that sounds like Ghost 2003 and not Ghost 10!

Are you sure?!

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

SteveP55419
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Aug 24th, 2006 at 7:06pm

Yes it is a nice feeling. The box that Ghost comes in has a picture of a parachute on it.

I bought the retail version of Ghost 10 from one of the online stores. It was not on the disk when I bought the computer. I installed the second SATA disk for my RAID setup and set up the RAID myself. I read your forum carefully and would have preferred Ghost 2003 but it looked as though support for RAID from 2003 was iffy so I went with version 10. The docs say that, when you initiate a restore from Windows, if Ghost cannot lock the drive, it will send you to dos and that is what happened.

Ghost is a really great little program.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #4 - Aug 24th, 2006 at 7:15pm

OK. Clear now. Ghost 10 can't restore the OS partition from Windows so save yourself some time and confusion by using the CD first up. It isn't DOS, it's a Windows Preinstalled Environment. Bart makes use of this environment with his excellent recovery CD.

http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #5 - Aug 24th, 2006 at 7:23pm

Brian

Quote:
OK. Clear now.

You got *I closed down Windows, inserted the Ghost Recovery Disk, and booted to the Ghost Recovery Environment* from:

Quote:
The docs say that, when you initiate a restore from Windows, if Ghost cannot lock the drive, it will send you to dos and that is what happened.

That's more *reading between the lines* than I would have been able to do  Wink !

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #6 - Aug 24th, 2006 at 7:49pm

NightOwl wrote on Aug 24th, 2006 at 7:23pm:
That's more *reading between the lines* than I would have been able to do  Wink !

Not really. That's what happens when you try to restore the OS partition from the Windows GUI of Ghost 9/10. It takes you all the way to "Start the restore now" (or something similar) and then says it can't be done and directs you to boot from the CD. I made this mistake in my early days with Drive Image 7.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print