Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Installing new motherboard help (Read 10895 times)
MacKenrick
Radmeister

Help Stamp Out & Eradicate
Superfluous Redundancy

California, USA

Installing new motherboard help
Aug 25th, 2006 at 12:00am

Hi guys... back again.
This isn't exactly a ghost question but I figured one of you may have an answer for me.  I'm replacing my current motherboard with another one that is similar and was wondering if I can just reinstall the hard drives or do I have to reformat and reinstall all my programs... yuk!

My current board is an Asus P4S533 with the SiS645DX and SiS 961B chipsets.  The new board is an Asus P4S800D-X with the SiS 655FX and SiS 964 Chipsets.

I'm running Windows XP-Hm SP2.  Thanks for the help.

Mac

MacKenrick

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Newport Beach, California

Re: Installing new motherboard help
Reply #1 - Aug 25th, 2006 at 12:35am

new chipset makes it difficult. conventional wisdom has always been you needed to install fresh from scratch when installing new mobo/chipset, but this may not be the case. see these two threads:

http://radified.com/cgi-bin/YaBB/YaBB.cgi?board=general;action=display;num=11364...

http://radified.com/cgi-bin/YaBB/YaBB.cgi?board=general;action=display;num=11460...

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #2 - Aug 25th, 2006 at 12:42am

Mac, good to hear from you again.

In Rad's second link I'd consider this approach.

http://radified.com/cgi-bin/YaBB/YaBB.cgi?board=general;action=display;num=11460...

You have everything to gain and nothing to lose. If it doesn't work then you will have to reinstall Windows.

IP Logged

MacKenrick
Radmeister

Help Stamp Out & Eradicate
Superfluous Redundancy

California, USA

Reply #3 - Aug 25th, 2006 at 3:00pm

Thanks for the reply guys.  It was really good hearing from you again.  I read all the threads and links (wow, lots of informaton).  Seems there is contradictory information on this subject as well as about a zillion ways to try it.  Funny that Symantec says it shouldn't be a problem using Ghost Images (hope that's true).  Even MS says changing motherboards shouldn't be a problem but shows a different way, and Michael Stevens, MSMVP, shows even a different way.

I think I'll try the "Repair Install" method and see what happens.  Will probably try it tomorrow so if anyone has any thoughts on other ways I should try first please let me know.

Thanks for the help.   Mac    PS:  I'm using Ghost 9 and WinXP Hm SP2.

MacKenrick

IP Logged

ben_mott
Nuclear Grade

Reply #4 - Aug 25th, 2006 at 3:03pm

Try This:from another Forum:
question
looking for someone with expertise in swapping hard drives in xp because i've heard that it cant be done. i have about 170gb worth of data i cant afford to lose and am thinking of upgrading my system, a new motherboard, cpu, memory and dvd-writer. i will be using the same psu, case and floppy. if i understand correctly, after installing these components, my hard drive will fail to boot. why is this and is there anything that can be done to overcome this? i also have made a lot of tweaks to my xp configuration, and would hate to have to start again.
Poque's Answer
Well general opinion is that it cant be done but I've done it!
Before attempting it I would seriously consider backing up the data to other media first just in case it doesn't work.
Basically once you have all the hardware setup you boot up off an xp cd and choose the option to install windows. Setup will then see you already have windows on the drive and will ask if you want to run a repair, in which case you do. Now here's where it gets tricky. You'll eventually encounter and error saying "GetIUMs" which it will not bypass no matter what you click on. Hold shift + f10 keys down and a black window will appear. In that window type taskmgr.exe and press enter. The task manager will appear and then you'll see under applications the error window ( can't remember exactly what it is called but looks pretty obvious) . Highlight it and then click end task , then close the black command prompt window and the installation should continue.
Only recommended for the brave and like I said before I would certainly consider backing up the important data on there before attempting.

Regards Ben

Wink

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #5 - Aug 25th, 2006 at 3:19pm

Mac, good luck. I know you have backups just in case of the unexpected catastrophe.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print