Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
OFF GHOST......what to go for?? (Read 3703 times)
Ivanov
Gnarly

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

OFF GHOST......what to go for??
Aug 25th, 2006 at 10:45pm

Hi there,

My gf was intereted in buying a versatile high performing note book/ desktop...whether Intel OR AMD Athlon 64 bit.....any suggstions??

Hoping to hear from you smart people!

Regards!

Ivanov.

Ivanov.

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Newport Beach, California

Re: OFF GHOST......what to go for??
Reply #1 - Aug 26th, 2006 at 12:28am

a reader is working on posting a guide here on how to buy a laptop. he's still working on it, but so far, it looks something like this:

How to Buy a Notebook (Laptop) Computer

Before buying any computer you need to know what you will be doing on the computer. That is, what type of work you want to accomplish or which games you want to play. This will in turn dictate the Programs that you want to run on your computer, the Operating System (i.e. Linux, Mac OS, or Windows) and system specifications. By choosing the programs first (instead of the Operating System) you can be sure to get a computer that will be able to do what you want it to do. This guide is written for someone that will be doing general computing tasks such as browsing the World Wide Web, sending and receiving email, listening to music, playing games etc. In other words, it’s written for a general home computer user. This guide was written with Windows XP in mind but most of the recommendations also apply to other operating systems.

(1)    Before you buy a computer you need to decide what your needs are. The first decision is whether you want to buy a Desktop Computer or a Notebook Computer. If you've already decided on getting a notebook computer, then you need to decide on the type of notebook computer. There are 3 main types of notebooks:
A) All-Purpose Notebooks (these are the middle of the road type, not too big or too small, not really heavy or really light
B) Desktop Replacement Notebooks (these are bigger and heavier than the All-Purpose type notebooks, Desktop replacement notebooks have the biggest screens and keyboards but are somewhat heavy, not something you'd want to be carrying around every day).
C) Ultra portable Notebooks: These are the lightest and most portable type of notebooks. They are designed for people that carry the notebook with them almost every day. The disadvantages are the screen can be hard to read and the keyboard can be cramped. Also, the price for these can be a bit higher for the similar features. This is because the portability of these light notebooks is highly prized by many people.

(2) I used to always buy a desktop computer because for a given amount of money you could buy a faster computer or one that stored more information by buying a desktop instead of a notebook. Portability was not a factor for me until I moved overseas. It was impractical to bring a desktop computer from the US, so I decided to buy a notebook computer. Since I would not be moving the notebook often, I chose to get a desktop replacement notebook. The ability to pick up the whole computer and put it in a carrying case has appealed to me. Plus even on a desk they take up less space. So, I really enjoy the notebook type and am not sure if I'd switch back to a desktop. One disadvantage to the notebook's portability is that it's also easier to get stolen.

(3) For you, if you've decided you'd prefer a notebook instead of a desktop computer, I suggest you think about how often you will be moving the computer. If you'll be moving it often, then you should buy an Ultra portable Notebook. If you know you won't be moving it often, then buy a Desktop Replacement notebook. If you are not sure how often you'll be moving it, then I'd suggest an All-Purpose Notebook.

(4) After you've decided which type of notebook you want, then I'd decide on Brands that you want. I like Dell and once I switched from Apple computers in 2000, I've only owned Dell computers. IBM’s notebook division had the best reputation among business users. IBM’s notebook division was sold to Lenovo. Lenovo will have to work hard to keep the reputation that IBM built over many years. Sony is often considered to have the most stylish and best looking notebooks (behind Apple). Hewlett Packard and Toshiba also make some solid notebooks but are nothing special in my book.

(5) After deciding which brand, then you need to decide the specifications that you want for the notebook.

(A) Display Size: First and foremost is the LCD screen. I'd recommend a 15.4" display for a desktop replacement notebook, a 14.1" display for an All-Purpose Notebook and a 12.1" display for an ultra portable notebook.

(B) Display Resolution: Higher Resolution is generally better for text, movies and pictures, but some web sites look strange on high resolution computers. Here's what I recommend for most people: for a 15.4" display 1280x800 resolution, for a 14.1" display 1024x768 resolution, for a 12.1" display either 1024x768 or 1200x768 resolution. If you will mainly be viewing text, graphics and movies but few websites, then you’d like the highest resolution available: for a 15.4” display 1920x1200, for a 15.0” display 1600x1200, and for a 14.1” display 1400x1050.

(C) Processor: the processor gets way too much emphasis by most people and the media. I think you want parts that work well together. Any Intel Pentium M processor is good. Intel Celeron M processors are good too but don't have the battery saving aspects of the Pentium M. Intel's latest processors, the Core Duo and the Core Solo are a little faster than the Pentium M varieties but are overkill for most people. AMD has a processor called the AMD Turion 64 which has received good reviews.

(D) Memory: I recommend at least 512 MB of memory for using windows XP. For most people, myself included, I think that's enough. 384 MB is the bare minimum that I recommend with Windows XP. Do NOT plan to use a computer with Windows XP with only 256 MB of memory. 256 MB is not enough to keep Windows XP and even 1 program in memory. Your computer will be very slow and you will be frustrated. The rule of thumb here is at least 512 MB. As with everything in computers, and especially memory, more is better. When Windows Vista is launched it will probably need at least 1,024 MB to run smoothly.

(E) Hard Drive: 40 GB or more is sufficient for most people. If you will be storing LOTS of video files, MP3s or JPG files then you may need a higher capacity drive. Another specification often overlooked is the revolution speed of the hard drive. Typical speeds are 4200 RPM, 5400 RPM and 7200 RPM. 4200 RPM drives can seem a little sluggish. I just got a 7200 RPM drive and it is a little more responsive, but they cost more. For most people, a 5400 RPM strikes a good balance between price and performance.

(F) Optical Drive: there are 4 things that an optical drive can potentially do: 1) read CDs 2) make CDs 3) read DVDs 4) make DVDs. The advantage of making CDs and DVDs is that it's an easy way to backup your data. I recommend getting either one that can do #1,2,& 3 (called a CDRW/DVD Combo drive) or one that can do all four (usually called a DVD Burner). DVD Burner drives have fallen in price recently and often don’t cost much more than Combo drives.

(G) Internal Wireless Internet Card - I recommend getting a notebook with a wireless Internet card. Although any one is fine for accessing the Internet, for transferring files over a wireless network 802.11G is noticeably faster than 802.11B.
But for most people, I wouldn't pay extra for the G version.

(H) Modem - I recommend getting a notebook with an internal modem. Any modem is fine.

(I) Video Card - a separate video card is NOT necessary for most people but if you do get one it's a plus. Games are one area where a good video card is necessary to play the latest and greatest games. If you plan to play graphic intensive games, you’ll want to be familiar with the video card requirements of the games you want to play, latest video card models, specifications and prices.

(6) Next you need to decide about how much you want to pay and if you can reasonably purchase a notebook that has the specifications that you want for the price you want to pay. If you can buy a new notebook with those specifications for that price, then great. If not, you’ll either have to buy a used notebook or you'll have to buy one with lower specifications.

(7) The internet is a great place to buy a new notebook. Be sure to buy from a reputable company and use a credit card to protect yourself. For used notebooks, online auctions are a good place to look. With online auctions be sure to deal with a reputable seller, read the description carefully, confirm what the shipping costs will be, and ask any questions that you may have. A good seller will respond to all questions. Happy notebook hunting.

IP Logged

MrMagoo
Übermensch

Resident Linux Guru

Phoenix, AZ (USA)

Reply #2 - Aug 28th, 2006 at 3:11am

I have a finished guide on my web site detailing how to shop for a computer.  It is mostly geared toward desktops and building your own computer from scratch, but it should give you a good idea on what to look for.

http://magooswisewords.com/MagoosBook/shopping/buycomp1.htm

IP Logged

Ivanov
Gnarly

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #3 - Sep 2nd, 2006 at 11:44am

Thanks Rad & Mr Magoo for  sharing your expert views.

We ordered a M1710 cause she didnt like mine 2010 as it weighs alot.

Lets see how does it perform........

Regards!

Ivanov.

IP Logged

Ivanov
Gnarly

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #4 - Sep 2nd, 2006 at 11:51am

Item Number  Quantity   Item Description 
222-4623  1   XPS M1710, Intel Core 2 Duo Processor T7600 (2.33GHz/667MHz/4MB) 
320-4756  1   17 inch UltraSharp TrueLife Wide-screen WUXGA with Red LCDCover, for XPS M1710 
311-5892  1   2GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM 677MHZ,2 DIMM, for XPS M1710 
320-4758  1   512MB NVIDIA GeForce Go 7900 GTX, for XPS M1710 
341-3346  1   100GB 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive for XPS M1710 
420-4775  1   Microsoft Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2 English 
420-4928  1   Windows Media Player 10 
463-2282  1   Dell Owners Manual installed on your system,click on icon after system set-up to access 
313-4210  1   Dell Resource CD with Application Backup,w/Tools for XPS M1710 
420-4830  1   DELL SUPPORT 3.0 
420-5460  1   Complimentary courses: Look for EU icon 
420-5476  1   Dell Direct Download 
420-5924  1   Icon Consolidation Application 
420-5769  1   Internet Search and Portal 
412-0689  1   Image Restore 
430-1277  1   Integrated 10/100/1000 NetworkCard and Modem for Inspiron 
412-0917  1   Adobe Acrobat Reader 7.0, for Inspiron 
313-4079  1   8X DVD+/-RW Drive, for XPS M1710 
420-5791  1   Roxio Creator Basic/MyDVD Basic 
420-5783  1   Sonic Cineplayer 
313-4217  1   Integrated High Definition Audio, for XPS M1710 
430-1931  1   Intel PRO/Wireless 3945 802.11a/g Mini Card (54Mbps) for XPS M1710 
420-5645  1   Trend Micro PC-cillin InternetSecurity, English, 3-Year Subscription 
312-0422  1   80 WHr 9-cell Lithium Ion Primary Battery, for XPS M1710 
412-0787  1   AOL for Broadband 
420-3224  1   Broadband Icon for Inspiron 
412-0687  1   NETZERO ISP 
412-0915  1   Microsoft Works 8.5 Plus Office Trial, for Inspiron 
950-9797  1   No Warranty, Year 2 and 3 
950-3337  1   1 Year Limited Warranty 
412-0360  1   Soft Contracts - Banctec 
983-8447  1   Dell Hardware Warranty PlusOnsite Service, Initial Year 
970-2180  1   Type 3- Third Party At Home Service, 24x7 Technical Support, Initial Year 
960-8710  1   Warranty Support,Initial Year 
970-5927  1   Inspiron XPS, Specialized Support 
310-8314  1   Intel Centrino Core Duo Processor 
465-2211  1   Thank you for choosing Dell 
465-4663  1   Windows Vista Capable 
310-8314  1   Intel Centrino Core Duo Processor 
412-0865  1   Basic digital Music,Photo and Game experience 

Ivanov.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print