HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
McAfee Issues (Read 3560 times)
jflynnde
N00b

McAfee Issues
Aug 26th, 2006 at 2:31pm

I'm running Windows XP Home Edition Version 5.1 (SP1) and I've been using McAfee Security Center (with Personal Firewall, Privacy Service, and Virus Scan) for a few years without much problem; I get the automatic updates and yearly renewal. A couple of weeks ago, it tells me to go to the McAfee site and download new versions; which I do. Since then, I've been having intermittent problems ( Explorer will crash sometimes, kick me out and then I've seen problems with cookies). This weekend, it seemed to get worse; web-sites I've been into before won't let me in because it states that cookies aren't enabled. I'm sure they still are (Internet Options, privacy is set to medium and in the web-site's "edit" section, these web-sites are set to allow cookies) but I check and they still are. I then check McAfee Perental Controls and find the same thing (all these sites are still set for enable cookies and allowed access). So I try to go on the McAfee web site to get support and IT tells me I don't have cookies enabled. I finally give up (after trying everything I know how to do) and I go into Control Panel, Add/Remove software and uninstall the Privacy Service portion of McAfee - Lo and behold, I can get back into sites I was locked out of, including the McAfee support. So in I go and select the chat with a "technician" because if you want to talk to a real person, it's $2.95 a minute (WOW what a rip-off). So I wait my turn and finally get this guy and for the next 3 hours he tells me pretty much nothing, with long time-lapses in between each response. He wants to tell me how to set up Internet Explorer for cookies (which I try to explain I already know how to do) and then he wants me to re-install his software. I tell him I can't do that because if I do, I'm locked out of his "support" site. This goes on and on until finally I can't stand the frustration any longer and end the session.

At this point, I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced problems like this with McAfee's Privacy Service and if so, do you know any tricks I can use to fix this problem? Or, am I just chucking good money away by sticking with McAfee?

IP Logged

Pleonasm
Übermensch

Re: McAfee Issues
Reply #1 - Aug 26th, 2006 at 3:45pm

Jflynnde, I have no experience with the McAfee Security Center, but if it isn’t working, then you may wish to try Norton Internet Security (which has a 60-day return policy from Symantec).

By the way, my understanding is the 2007 version of Norton Internet Security is scheduled to be released in September, 2006.

ple • o • nasm n. “The use of more words than are required to express an idea”

IP Logged

MrMagoo
Übermensch

Resident Linux Guru

Phoenix, AZ (USA)

Re: McAfee Issues
Reply #2 - Aug 27th, 2006 at 8:18pm

The issue is most likely being caused by the Privacy Service portion of McAffee.  One of the things that this service does it to block cookies from various sites in an attempt to increase your privacy.  You may want to check the setting of the Privacy Service to see what you can find, and disable this service if necessary.

First party cookies are not nearly the threat to privacy that many people have come to believe.  Spyware and Adware are the real threat to your privacy, and your anti-virus and firewall portions of Mcafee should be providing a good defense against those.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print