Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
ghost2003 partion image to CD/DVD problem (Read 4605 times)
ggyy1221
Ex Member

ghost2003 partion image to CD/DVD problem
Aug 27th, 2006 at 11:09am

I would like to make one Bootable CD that can backup the winxp system without floppy drive. This is what I want to do next. Bootable CD start to A:ghost.exe
local-->partition-->to image-->save to CD/DVD.
if I want to make it bootable then I have to insert boot disk in drive A. Is there any way that I can copy drive A data to bootable CD and then my recovery CD/DVD can bootable and automaticly restore to c:
How can I write the AUTOEXEC.bat and Config.sys
-->my autoexec.bat
@echo off
SET TZ=GHO-08:00
MOUSE.COM
echo Loading...
CD GHOST
GHOST.EXE -auto -bootcd -sure -ghostoncd -split=650M -cns -z2 -clone,mode=pcreate,src=1:1,dst=@cd2 -sure
It wroks not well because it only copy ghost.exe and sys.gho in CD/DVD. How can I write the autoexec.bat and and make the CD automaticly to restore the systerm.

IP Logged

ggyy1221
Ex Member

Re: ghost2003 partion image to CD/DVD problem
Reply #1 - Aug 27th, 2006 at 11:20am

maybe my explain make you guys confusing. Simply, I would like to make one bootable CD/DVD and burn the CD/DVD in ghost. Afterward, the first sys.gho CD can auto boot and recovery the system. How can I wrote the autoexec.bat.
Hope everybody can help me to solve this problem.

IP Logged

AchingBack
Dude

Virginia, USA

Reply #2 - Aug 27th, 2006 at 8:45pm

From what I have read, if you create the CD/DVD via the Windows GUI setup, Ghost 2003 is supposed to automatically make the CD/DVD bootable.  However I tried three times with 3 different combinations of settings and none was bootable.  All 3 tries were from the Windows GUI.

See the posting entitled "Error accessing DVD after ejected & reinserted"  for the details of what I tried.  (The URL is http://radified.com/cgi-bin/YaBB/YaBB.cgi?board=general;action=display;num=11560... )

-- AchingBack - Running Ghost 2003 on XP-Pro

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #3 - Aug 27th, 2006 at 11:44pm

ggyy1221

What you want to do is probably possible--but not exactly the way you state.

You can not have a single bootable optical disc that will first automatically (unattended) create a Ghost image to the disc--and then have it be able to restore that image automatically (unattended)--because you can not have both options in the same autoexec.bat--unless you create a *menu* from which you select either create an image, or restore an image--and once the menu item is selected--that procedure will be carried out.

If you attempt to use Ghost's built-in ability to create a bootable optical disc using Ghost's Windows GUI to set it up, you will not be able to add you own *custom* boot files (i.e. autoexec.bat and config.sys)--Ghost has it's own boot image file that it uses to create the bootable disc--and it loads Ghost, but you will have to perform all Ghost tasks manually once Ghost is loaded.

If you want an automated restore CD, you would need to create the Ghost image, create the custom boot files, and then create a bootable optical disc with your custom boot files + adding the Ghost image file(s) to the data portion of the disc--see here for a basic outline: 
Creating Bootable CD/DVD's Without A:\Floppy Drive
.  You can make the config.sys and autoexec.bat to be whatever custom files you wish, and simply use the Guide for how to create the bootable disc.

If Ghost did not burn the Ghost image files directly to the optical disk, you must load DOS drivers (such as *oakcdrom.sys* and *mscdex.exe*) that mount optical drives and assigns them DOS drive letters in order for Ghost to access those image files.  If Ghost did burn the images initially to optical discs, I have successfully copied those Ghost files to a HDD, and then burned them to new optical discs--and Ghost will now access those image files without the DOS optical drivers--so the critical variable is that Ghost must have created those image files to optical disc initially!

But, if your Ghost image files are going to span multiple CD discs, then it's not really going to be an *automated, unattended* restore anyway!

You may want to review the purpose of the switches you have placed in your image creation autoexec.bat command line--using *-sure* twice is probably unnecessary, your *dst=@cd2* probably needs a file name, *-bootcd* simply suppresses Ghost asking if you have placed a floppy disk in drive A:\, *-ghostoncd* places a copy of *ghost.exe* in the data portion of the CD--but you will have access to that file only if you load DOS drivers that give you a DOS drive letter to access the optical disc's data.

*Restore* autoexec.bat assuming the Ghost file name is *sys.gho*--and you can only use the *@cd2* if Ghost burned the image files directly to optical discs--otherwise you must use the optical drive's DOS drive letter:

@echo off
SET TZ=GHO-08:00
MOUSE.COM
echo Loading...
CD GHOST
GHOST.EXE -clone,mode=prestore,src=@cd2:sys.gho:1,dst=1:1 -sure

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Reply #4 - Aug 28th, 2006 at 1:45pm

NightOwl wrote on Aug 27th, 2006 at 11:44pm:
"... If you attempt to use Ghost's built-in ability to create a bootable optical disc using Ghost's Windows GUI to set it up, you will not be able to add you own *custom* boot files (i.e. autoexec.bat and config.sys)--Ghost has it's own boot image file that it uses to create the bootable disc--and it loads Ghost, but you will have to perform all Ghost tasks manually once Ghost is loaded..."

Could the built-in autoexec.bat and config.sys files mentioned above be tweaked for using within Ghost's Windows GUI by employing the tactics demonstrated in the initial post at the URL below (such definitely works for the config.sys file):

EP
Cry

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #5 - Aug 28th, 2006 at 5:04pm

El_Pescador

Quote:
Could the built-in autoexec.bat and config.sys files mentioned above be tweaked for using within Ghost's Windows GUI by employing the tactics demonstrated in the initial post at the URL below (such definitely works for the config.sys file):

The time I tried to add DOS drivers using the *User files*--the DOS drivers were loaded into the *virtual partition* and functioned for that Ghost session--but, those drivers were nowhere to be found if you saved your image to optical media and told Ghost to make the optical disc bootable!--the only thing I got was the same boot up files that Ghost places in the optical disc's boot sector that would be there if you had not added any DOS drivers to those *User files*!  So, if you wanted those DOS drivers to be on your bootable CD--they would not be!

However, if you have a floppy disk drive--you can put whatever custom boot files you want that fit on a floppy disk--and if you are booted to DOS and you are saving an image to optical disc--now when Ghost asks for the floppy disk in the A:\ drive--you can put in whatever boot disk you have created and that's what will be placed on the optical disc's boot sector!

And, if you move *ghost.exe* out of the boot sector, and place it in the root directory of the optical disc (if you start Ghost with the *-ghostoncd* switch, Ghost will place the *ghost.exe* there for you!), load DOS drivers (oakcdrom.sys and mscdex.exe) that can access the files in the data portion of the optical disc, point your load command to the DOS drive letter of the optical drive in order to start Ghost--and now there's *lots* of room on the floppy disk for DOS drivers of many kinds to load into the boot sector using Ghost's routine of reading the floppy boot disk in DOS of create a bootable optical disc!

But for the above, you need to use a system with a floppy disk drive to take advantage of that!

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print