Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
repartion from XP on new HDD (Read 52887 times)
dcgilbert
Gnarly

I luv a steep learning
curve!

Re: repartion from XP on new HDD
Reply #15 - Aug 29th, 2006 at 11:51am

Been reading the G10 user man. and Brian's notes in (Advanced).  I'm sure my questions have been answered somewhere in these notes, but I'll ask anyway. 1. In the install section, it suggests connecting the USB drive before install.  I'm going to be using my new Maxtor 100gb Basic for back up later, should I ignore that selection, as my first operation after install will be "copy my hard drive",or does this mean a re-install later?
2.  The current C drive is a 30gb, the destination drive is a 120gb.  Should I resize to fill unallocated space? 3.  In the drop-down list should I select C as the name of the new drive, as that is what I want it to be, when the old drive has been removed and the computer is rebooted?      thanks   David

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #16 - Aug 29th, 2006 at 3:39pm

Quote:
In the install section, it suggests connecting the USB drive before install.  I'm going to be using my new Maxtor 100gb Basic for back up later

I need to clear this in my brain. You have a 30 GB master HD, a 120 GB internal slave HD and a 100 GB external USB HD. Correct?

With your 30 GB HD, how much free space is showing under the Free Space column in My Computer?
In the C drive, roughly how many GB of video, jpeg, music, documents do you have? That is, files you have added, excluding installed programs.

Quote:
In the drop-down list should I select C as the name of the new drive, as that is what I want it to be, when the old drive has been removed and the computer is rebooted?

You need to follow this to the letter.

http://radified.com/cgi-bin/YaBB/YaBB.cgi?board=general;action=display;num=11175...

I know it says Ghost 9 but it's the same as Ghost 10. It will finish up as C: drive.

What I'm trying to decide is how large to make your C: drive and the remainder will be a data drive. Don't worry about trashing your computer as we'll only be working on your 120 GB HD. If you make a mistake then we just do the exercise again. The 30 GB HD won't be changed or damaged by our efforts.

Quote:
Talk about an obscure site

That userguide was mine.

IP Logged

dcgilbert
Gnarly

I luv a steep learning
curve!

Reply #17 - Aug 29th, 2006 at 5:40pm

Good to hear from you again.  Your posting from  5/2005 answered my questions and I feel confident I can pull this off.
By the way my G10 package is in New Orleans and will be delivered tomorrow.  The 30 gb current C drive containing 19.7 gb free, is over 4yrs old, and will be retired to a box in the closet.  It will become the last chance backup.  I picked up the Maxtor for $50 on sale at office depot in Hammond.  It will be the off site storage for pics. and other stuff that is now on the old C drive.  My better half has become very interested in video and video editing; thus the new 120 gb HDD and a new LG DVD burner soon.  I'm not sure whether the burner will be int. or ext.   More research I love it!      David

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #18 - Aug 29th, 2006 at 7:29pm

OK. A 30 GB C: drive will be plenty large enough and the remainder will be your data partition. Roughly 80 GB. This in combination with the second HD will be good for video editing. Faster. HD to HD is faster than just using a single HD. So don't retire your 30 GB HD. After we have the new HD working you can delete the partition on the 30 GB HD, format again and use it as a second HD. We have better ways of keeping a "last chance backup".

This is what I'm proposing. Let me know if you don't like it but I think it's a good idea and although initially it may look frightening, it can't hose your computer. We aren't changing anything on your 30 GB HD.

I’ll make it easy for you.

Open Disk Management and we’ll work from the graphic section. You currently have the Dell partition and Unallocated Space. We don’t touch the Dell partition.

Right click in the Unallocated Space and click New Partition
The Wizard commences, click Next
Select Primary partition, Next
Choose 30,000 MB, Next
Put dot in Assign the following drive letter and accept the letter, Next
Put dot in Do not format this partition, Next
Finish

Now you have the Dell partition, a primary partition and unallocated space. Now we will create a data partition.

Right click in the Unallocated Space and click New Partition
Select Extended partition, Next
Leave the partition size alone as it should be the remainder of the drive, Next
Finish

Now you have a partition with a green band above and it is called Free Space
Right click in this space and click New Logical drive
Dot in Logical drive, Next
Leave the partition size alone as it should be the remainder of the drive, Next
Put dot in Assign the following drive letter and accept the letter, Next
Put dot in Format this partition, Accept NTFS, Default Allocation Unit size, Type in a Volume name eg DATA
Next
Finish
Wait for it to format

Now we’ll delete the Primary partition to create a space for your impending new C: drive

Right click in the 30,000 MB primary partition and click Delete partition
Click Yes
The space is now Unallocated Space

Don't worry about messing it up. It's easy to do again and again

You are almost ready for the final stage. Ghost 10.

IP Logged

dcgilbert
Gnarly

I luv a steep learning
curve!

Reply #19 - Aug 30th, 2006 at 11:19am

Good Morning Brian, 8:30AM  I've read your instructions 4 times and I believe I get it.  I will be giving it a try as soon as I finish this post.  One question, what is that better "last chance backup" you eluded to, instead of the old C drive?     David

PS:    2:25PM   Disk 1= (31mg Dell) (29.29gb unallocated)(G 82.46bg NTFS) All healthy.  Your instructions were on the money.  I almost  broke my arm, patting myself on the back,
congradulating my ability to monkey see, monkey do.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #20 - Aug 30th, 2006 at 3:51pm

I think you do need a pat on the back. It's scary stuff on the first time.

Quote:
One question, what is that better "last chance backup"

What you were proposing was keeping a "clone". Most (if not all) of us prefer to keep an image. Dan summarises the case (reply #7)...

http://radified.com/cgi-bin/YaBB/YaBB.cgi?board=general;action=display;num=11329...

In my instructions for "Cloning partitions with Ghost 9" you will need to make one change. You will need to tick “resize drive to fill unallocated space” as your Unallocated Space is slightly larger than your current C drive. That was expected when we chose 30,000 MB.

IP Logged

dcgilbert
Gnarly

I luv a steep learning
curve!

Reply #21 - Aug 30th, 2006 at 5:09pm

Thank you Brian, Your change to "resize" is noted.  I'm waiting for UPS to show up with G-10.  I've now read Dan's explanation of the difference btw clones and images, now i need to read about Restoring from images.   Thank you again for your kind attention, I'll post after I boot from the new drive.

David

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #22 - Aug 30th, 2006 at 5:50pm

David,

While you are waiting for Ghost 10 to arrive, go to your G drive, create a new folder and call it Ghost 10 backups.

After you install Ghost 10, when it starts for the first time you will see an Easy Setup window. Don't connect your USB hard drive. Ignore the Complete System Backup, remove the tick from "Run backup now to...", put a dot in "Define a new custom backup". Click Ok.

click Next in the Define Backup Wizard
select the C drive as the drive to backup. Next
put dot in Independent recovery point. Next
browse to the location for the backup image, which will be G:\Ghost 10 backups. Next
Compression Standard (recommended). Tick verify. Untick Limit the number of ... Ignore Advanced. Next
dot in Manually
tick Create Recovery point now
Finish

When it has completed you should have two files in that folder. A .v2i and a .sv2i file.

You are ready to do Copy My Hard Drive. Again, if you mess it up, no problem. If you have a power blackout during the copy, no problem. It doesn't damage your C drive. Just do it again into Unallocated Space.

Remember, after you have completed the copy you won't be able to see the OS on the new HD because it doesn't yet have a drive letter. Shutdown, remove the old HD and put the new HD on the end connection as Dell prefers cable select. I'd imagine your jumpers are for cable select but if they are master/slave then that's OK too.

IP Logged

dcgilbert
Gnarly

I luv a steep learning
curve!

Reply #23 - Aug 31st, 2006 at 1:18pm

Good afternoon,  Well here we are.  What a morning, Loaded Ghost, (didn't check forum so I did not see your last post 8-30) registered with Symantec, and proceeded to copy my hard drive, used the setup you gave (worked great by the way)  and hit finish.  20 mins later it was done with possible errors.  info 60BB0031: partition past cylinder 1024may not be bootable.  I have no idea what that means, but I changed the 40 pin cable, removed the old HDD, and attempted a boot.  Got to pre-screen from Dell.  It stopped there.  I hit F-2 and went into the boot screen.  I had no idea what to do so I exited and windows began to boot successfully.  went to "My computer" and there was the new Drive C & G.  So far so good.
I went to the short cut for my ISP and received another error " Your connection software has been corupted reinstall"
Called the ISP no help other than sending a new CD.
Deborah to the rescue!  She noodled around and found a back door to the ISP software.  We had one of the access #s and it worked.  Updated ISP sw. and we are back in business.
I have rebooted and still cannot go past the Dell screen without going into setup.  The last time I highlighted C drive instead of normal and it booted to Windows.   Are there some settings I need to change?         David

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #24 - Aug 31st, 2006 at 3:14pm

David,

So close. At least we know that your OS boots and that you can see the G drive. But there are problems. That error message at the end of the Copy and getting stuck on the Dell screen at bootup. It sounds like a BIOS issue. I’m not familiar with the Dell 4550 BIOS but could you enter Setup and find the IDE Configuration. Make sure the new HD is showing as the Primary IDE Master and then press F10 (may be different) and click Yes for Save changes and exit. Make sure you don’t have any USB memory sticks or the external HD attached to the computer and see if it boots.

Are your HD jumpers set for Master or Cable Select?

I’d appreciate other advice.

IP Logged

dcgilbert
Gnarly

I luv a steep learning
curve!

Reply #25 - Aug 31st, 2006 at 4:29pm

Hello Brian,  Nice to hear from you.  The answer to your last question is my dell appears to be cable select.  the old drive is configured that way, and both drives were set that way for the transfer.  The BIOS appears to be a phoenix A01.  I'm unsure what to look for in the BIOS, I did see there are primary drive 0 and 1.  I believe 1 is hard drive and 0 is unknown. The start process ends with progress bar under the Dell logo turnig all white.  At that point I hit F12 or F2 which opens the BIOS menu.  I don't have to change a thing just arrow key up and down, hit escp. and Windows boots to login, which is new since loading Ghost, and I hate it.  Never had to log in before as I am the only user.   Sorry to say I'm in a little over my head, but the water's warm.  What does IDE mean?   Sorry to be so crabby.  I'll get over it.   David

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #26 - Aug 31st, 2006 at 4:38pm

dcgilbert wrote on Aug 31st, 2006 at 1:18pm:
20 mins later it was done with possible errors.  info 60BB0031: partition past cylinder 1024may not be bootable.  

Have you ever updated your BIOS for your Dell 4550?  The fact that you have a 30gb drive and that model Dell is several years old makes me suspect that the BIOS doesn't support larger hard drives, or at least needs updating.

Go to www.dell.com and look for bios updates for your model and/or service tag number.  Read the instructions carefully before proceeding.

Was the 120gb drive blank before using it, or did you format it?  It's better if it is blank.  So, after updating the bios, I would recommend deleting all partitions on the drive and starting over.

Also, run chkdsk c: /f on your 30gb drive before copydisk.

Is your 30gb FAT32 or NTFS?

Ghost4me  Ghost 9, 10, 12, 14, 15.  Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #27 - Aug 31st, 2006 at 4:55pm

David,

I think I’ve found your BIOS. Try this after pressing F2 to enter Setup.

Right arrow to Advanced, down arrow to IDE Configuration, Enter. Let us know what words are to the right of Primary IDE Master. Press F10. Choose Yes for Save configuration changes and exit now (Press Enter).

Does it boot properly now? If not, download that BIOS update we talked about on the previous page and report back.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #28 - Aug 31st, 2006 at 5:54pm

I think I misled you earlier. Your BIOS upgrade is a different file.

I chose a 4500 instead of a 4550 Dimension. So the upgrade is A08. File R67246.exe. It's an upgrade from the HD, not a floppy.

Double check.

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #29 - Aug 31st, 2006 at 6:32pm

dcgilbert wrote on Aug 27th, 2006 at 4:40pm:
I went to disk man. and now the only drive showing is C drive, the slave; F is gone.  there are 2 (unlettered) partitions above C on the list that both have 31mg and 27mg free (EISA).  

When you retry the Ghost copydisk procedures, you should run the copydisk 3 times.  Also, copy them in the order that they are listed in the disk manager.  (I think you are saying above that you have two partitions besides C and should copy the first two above your C drive first.)

Ghost4me  Ghost 9, 10, 12, 14, 15.  Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print