Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
repartion from XP on new HDD (Read 52588 times)
dcgilbert
Gnarly

I luv a steep learning
curve!

repartion from XP on new HDD
Aug 27th, 2006 at 11:55am

Hello All  My name is David and I define the word noob.   I recently tried to copy my old C drive to new second drive with WD tools on the WD dos boot disc.  the new drive, I assume was formatted and partitioned, and was being copied to, when the message came up: error can not complete( not exact words)  Wd support  said  probably an issue with Dell, try ghost.  I ordered it, shoukld be in my hands 8-30.  Will ghost 10 deal with this second new drive with the partial copy on it, or should I do somrthing about it before I load G10?  Second question: off topic Why can't I download a pdf. copy of the manual off Symantech site?

Regards David

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Re: repartion from XP on new HDD
Reply #1 - Aug 27th, 2006 at 3:57pm

David,

I think you will enjoy Ghost 10. Firstly, the manual..

ftp://ftp.symantec.com/public/english_us_canada/products/ghost/10/manuals/Ghost_...

To prepare your slave HD for copying...
Right click My Computer, Manage, Disk Management. 
Right click the partition on the slave (new) HD and delete the partition. You need it blank. Unallocated Space.

Now..

http://radified.com/cgi-bin/YaBB/YaBB.cgi?board=general;action=display;num=11482...

Let us know the outcome.

IP Logged

dcgilbert
Gnarly

I luv a steep learning
curve!

Reply #2 - Aug 27th, 2006 at 4:40pm

Thank you Brian for the help.  I went to disk man. and now the only drive showing is C drive, the slave; F is gone.  there are 2 (unlettered) partitions above C on the list that both have 31mg and 27mg free (EISA).  Are these CD-ROM and CD/R/RW?  I clicked on the symantec link, you so graciously provided, and got what I always get "server not found", but thanks anyway.     David

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #3 - Aug 27th, 2006 at 5:11pm

David,

Right click on that Symantec link, "Save Target as" for IE, "Save link as" for Firefox.

Have a look at the graphic in Disk Management. Those two small partitions are Dell partitions and should be on Disk 0. Do you have Disk 1 in the graphic as well?

Which Dell model do you have? SATA HD?

IP Logged

dcgilbert
Gnarly

I luv a steep learning
curve!

Reply #4 - Aug 28th, 2006 at 9:58am

Good morning Brian,   I opened Disk Man. and in the bottom half of the window found:   
disk0=C: 31mb FAT healthy,   27.9gb NTFS healthy.
disk1=basic 31mb FAT healthy,  111.76gb (unallocated)healthy.
So it appears disk 0 and 1 both have that eisa partition.

The dell is model 4550 from the fall of 2002,  BIOS A01 EIDE/ATA.

I will try the "save target as" IE and see what happens, I have never done this step before and will google it for explanation.  Thank you again for your expertise.  I feel progress is being made.        David

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #5 - Aug 28th, 2006 at 10:31am

dcgilbert

Quote:
I clicked on the symantec link, you so graciously provided, and got what I always get "server not found",

The link opens fine on my system--if you are getting *server not found*, I'm suspecting some sort of improper setting--*security setting?*--that is blocking access.  You may have to allow at least certain *cookies* to access that site.

If you can not access that website directly by clicking on the link, you may find the same issue when you try the *save target as...* function as well--so you may have to review your settings for clues as to the problem!

Also, I have found that if you click on a direct link to a *pdf* file and it opens in Acrobat, I can not then save the file to my local system--only the *save target as...* function allows me to save the file to a local HDD for later viewing.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

dcgilbert
Gnarly

I luv a steep learning
curve!

Reply #6 - Aug 28th, 2006 at 10:45am

Hello again,   I tried -save target as-, The download window opens and the little file do-hicky starts flying, then a message box opens saying   "IE can not download ghost_10_User_Guide pdf from ftp.symantec.com    The operation timed out."  I have service pack2 and I'm assuming I have service pack1 installed.  Is there a file I can download from somewhere else?   Thanks again,   David

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #7 - Aug 28th, 2006 at 1:31pm

David,

It seems you are not alone.

http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=443630&sid=b99d5ac6f99071225d812a8...

See if you can find some help there. Do you have two versions of Acrobat Reader installed? Have you tried the Firefox browser to see if it views .pdf files? The above link is mainly for Firefox but some people had Internet Explorer issues.

http://www.mozilla.com/firefox/

Disk Management indicates that the 31 MB Dell diagnostic partition has already been copied and the remainder of the disk is Unallocated Space. That's good. When Ghost 10 arrives your disk is ready to go with the copy. Well, almost. We can talk about C: drive size when Ghost arrives.

Your BIOS is out of date and I suggest downloading B4500_A04 and following Dell's instructions. There could be relevant updates.

http://supportapj.dell.com/support/topics/topic.aspx/ap/shared/support/en/produc...

Choose Inspiron 4500 or enter your Service Tag, then go to Drivers and Downloads, Find Downloads, FlashBIOS Updates.

IP Logged

dcgilbert
Gnarly

I luv a steep learning
curve!

Reply #8 - Aug 28th, 2006 at 2:27pm

Thank you NightOwl,  At your suggestion, I changed settings in IE tools to allow all cookies and the security to low, still no luck.  I ordered the retail version of G10 from Viosoftware last week.  hopefully I'll have a manual Weds.  I appreciate the help.    David

IP Logged

dcgilbert
Gnarly

I luv a steep learning
curve!

Reply #9 - Aug 28th, 2006 at 2:36pm

Hello again Brian,  Forgive me, but I can't think of anything having to do with upgrading, that is scarier than switching the BIOS.  I wouldn't want to create an expensive door stop, but if it's neccessary, I'll try it.  Mind if I wait till the new HDD is installed     David

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #10 - Aug 28th, 2006 at 3:27pm

dcgilbert wrote on Aug 28th, 2006 at 2:36pm:
Mind if I wait till the new HDD is installed

Leave it until you feel comfortable.

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #11 - Aug 28th, 2006 at 3:32pm

dcgilbert wrote on Aug 28th, 2006 at 10:45am:
Hello again,   I tried -save target as-, The download window opens and the little file do-hicky starts flying, then a message box opens saying   "IE can not download ghost_10_User_Guide pdf from ftp.symantec.com    The operation timed out."  I have service pack2 and I'm assuming I have service pack1 installed.  Is there a file I can download from somewhere else?   Thanks again,   David

Trying downloading and installing the latest version of Acrobat Adobe Reader.  I believe it is 7.08.  After updating Reader, then try the ftp link again.

http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep2.html

Ghost4me  Ghost 9, 10, 12, 14, 15.  Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #12 - Aug 28th, 2006 at 3:57pm

David,

While you are waiting, could you read this.

http://www.goodells.net/multiboot/notes.htm#13

It will give you a better understanding of what should be done with the new HD. I suggest a C: drive for your Operating System and a D: drive for your data. You will also have your current HD as the second HD in the computer to store backup images from Ghost 10.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #13 - Aug 28th, 2006 at 7:22pm

IP Logged

dcgilbert
Gnarly

I luv a steep learning
curve!

Reply #14 - Aug 29th, 2006 at 10:10am

Brian wrote on Aug 28th, 2006 at 7:22pm:

Brian   You are amazing. Talk about an obscure site, but I am now the proud owner of The Ghost 10 User manual.  Thank you   David

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print