Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
repartion from XP on new HDD (Read 52930 times)
Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Re: repartion from XP on new HDD
Reply #45 - Sep 3rd, 2006 at 3:17pm

Out of interest, here are the RE instructions for Ghost 9. I'll make some Ghost 10 instructions soon.

Boot to the Ghost CD
Set the Time Zone
Advanced Recovery Tasks
System Restore
dot in Restore drives          ,Next
dot in Single drive            ,Next
Browse to your image file      ,Next
Select a destination           ,Next
tick Verify backup
tick Check for file system errors after restore
tick Resize drive to fill unallocated space (Y or N) Will be greyed out if partition is correct size
tick Set drive active (for booting OS)
tick Restore original disk signatures
tick Restore MBR (for a new HD)
Next
tick Reboot after finish
Finish

IP Logged

dcgilbert
Gnarly

I luv a steep learning
curve!

Reply #46 - Sep 3rd, 2006 at 5:40pm

Hello Brian,  I have a confession to make, Deborah has been runnig this project from the background.  She's the one who suggested we check MS updates.  The . NET SP1 was suggested there. 
I have reread #22 and will do it tomorrow.
My copy skills are limited to Rt. click, copy, Rt. click, paste.  Wish you could do that to a whole partition.  By the way, how do you cancel a copy command, or clear the clipboard, when you make a mistake. 
The mental fog is starting to set in, I'm getting a beer and calling it a day.  Thanks again for the aid.       David

IP Logged

dcgilbert
Gnarly

I luv a steep learning
curve!

Reply #47 - Sep 4th, 2006 at 12:47pm

Good Afternoon, Spent the morning reading up on Ext. HDD connections, got the Maxtor hooked up, followed #22,(which worked like a charm) and now I'm trying to figure out the procedure to copy the two files on drive G, to the folder I set up on drive F. Then we can see if the R.E. can see them on F drive.
Could it be as simple as "copy this folder", even if it has 8GB of info on it?  Everyone has to start somewhere.  In my case it's at the very beginning.      David

Update 12:57 " Copy folder" works .  Took 8 min. both .v2i and .sv2i are now on F drive, but the "NG Recovery point storage.ini"  1kb configuration sub-file didn't make it .  Is this a problem?

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #48 - Sep 4th, 2006 at 3:41pm

dcgilbert wrote on Sep 4th, 2006 at 12:47pm:
but the "NG Recovery point storage.ini"  1kb configuration sub-file didn't make it .  Is this a problem?

You don't need to copy this file to your F drive.

I'm staying with friends for a few days and I'm using a Dell 4550 at present. I'll check out the BIOS.

Today is your RE day. That will be interesting.

Hi Deborah.

IP Logged

dcgilbert
Gnarly

I luv a steep learning
curve!

Reply #49 - Sep 4th, 2006 at 4:17pm

Hello Brian,  I've been waiting for you to check in.  Deborah says Hi! back atcha.  Can I assume your guide for RE Ghost 9 is close enough to G10 that we should not get confused?  We'll find out.  By the by, copying from My computer is easier than I thought.  I'll report back soon.    David

Update: 5:02PM CST  I Realized that it was not neccessary to go thru the complete RE procedure and the goal was just be able to see the files on F drive, was able to boot to the CD and all proceeded to main recovery menu.  I hit "recover my computer" and every thing froze.  I believe they call it  Crash and burn.  Any ideas?  I'll try again tomorrow.  Gonna get a beer.    David

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #50 - Sep 4th, 2006 at 5:03pm

No, the Ghost 10 RE is significantly different to Ghost 9. Follow the userguide instructions but only go as far as finding the recovery point on the external HD. See Reply #44.

I won't have access to Ghost 10 for a few days but I'll write some instructions when I get home.

IP Logged

dcgilbert
Gnarly

I luv a steep learning
curve!

Reply #51 - Sep 4th, 2006 at 5:20pm

Hello again, I didn't see your reply before I started my update on my previous post.  See above .  Have a good day.  David

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #52 - Sep 4th, 2006 at 5:45pm

dcgilbert wrote on Sep 4th, 2006 at 4:17pm:
  I hit "recover my computer" and every thing froze. 

That shouldn't happen. Try again.

IP Logged

dcgilbert
Gnarly

I luv a steep learning
curve!

Reply #53 - Sep 5th, 2006 at 2:33pm

Good Afternoon Brian,  I've been thinkig about my experience in the Recovery Environment yesterday, and I don't think I
handled it well.  I don't know which section on the menu page to open for this test.  I noticed a GMT time reference in the lower right side of the menu page.  Should I try to change it?(Time or Zone).  Also the Maxtor has a rather elaborate "USB and power supply booting" sequence of its own.  I was wondering if until the R.E. CD is workable, (can't be my fault Smiley  I look for the v2i and sv2i files on drive G.  When I can pull that off, then connect up the Maxtor and try to find them on the F drive.   Hope you're having fun,  David

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #54 - Sep 5th, 2006 at 4:14pm

dcgilbert wrote on Sep 5th, 2006 at 2:33pm:
I was wondering if until the R.E. CD is workable, (can't be my fault Smiley  I look for the v2i and sv2i files on drive G.  When I can pull that off, then connect up the Maxtor and try to find them on the F drive.   

Sure.

I found a Ghost 10 CD here. This is how I do it.

Boot to the CD
Choose your time zone
Click Recover My Computer
If you see a message about “No recovery points found…” click OK and then click Open another location
Browse to your recovery points
Select the recovery point and click Recover My Computer
From the Recover My Computer wizard, put a dot in “Custom”, OK
Next
For Recovery Destination, make sure that the correct partition is selected.  Most likely it will be the OS partition.
Next
Put a tick in
• Verify recovery point before restore
• Check for file system errors after recovery
• Set drive active (for booting OS)
• Restore original disk signatures
Only tick Restore MBR if you are restoring a recovery point to a new HD
Next
Put a tick in Reboot when finished
Finish

The Recovery Environment shouldn't freeze but response to clicks may be slow.

IP Logged

dcgilbert
Gnarly

I luv a steep learning
curve!

Reply #55 - Sep 5th, 2006 at 4:59pm

Hello Brian, I'll give it lots of time, and take it to"browse".
We've copied your guide.  I'll let you know what happens.

I was watching the US Open Tennis and one of the announcers quoted Authur Ashe who said; "You can make a living with what you have. and you make a life with what you give".
When I heard that, I thought of you and the folks on this forum for what is given here.  again thank you,     David

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print