Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
2.5” Nootbook?? (Read 10588 times)
mading
Dude

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

2.5” Nootbook??
Aug 27th, 2006 at 8:45pm

What I like to do is install WinXP Pro on my 2.5” HD. And of course would it be nice if it actually would be bootable. In my searches online I actually found a lot of info on how to achieve this. But unfortunately all of them state that you need to have a computer which can enable boot from USB in the bios.
Of course I could try update my bios and follow one of the howto guides. But I like my USB HD to be somewhat like a Nootbook, any ware I find a computer(with USB2) I hook-up my drive and work on my own windows. Even if that computer (like my’n) does not have bios boot from USB support.

I think I already found the solution(by my self)
1)   First I will prepare a WinXP install CD special with USB mega storage support. Following this guide http://www.ngine.de/index.jsp?pageid=4176
2)   I will install windows on a friends machine who has Boot from USB support.

So than I should be set and It should work on all new computers. But not on my computer. And that’s where you guy’s come in.

In NightOwl’s guide (spread over mummers threats in a couple of topics) he explains how to create a Bootable CD with USB support. And this also automatically starts up Ghost.

I like to create a Bootable CD with USB support that automatically starts up my windows on my USB device. Can any one help me tweak NightOwel’s BootCD to do exactly that??

And I you’re inspired by this to make your on USB HD windows. Let me know if it worked (especially if you achieved it in a different way)

IP Logged

MrMagoo
Übermensch

Resident Linux Guru

Phoenix, AZ (USA)

Re: 2.5” Nootbook??
Reply #1 - Aug 28th, 2006 at 3:08am

I pulled this exact thing off using a version of Unix called OpenBSD, but it required me to edit some parameters and then re-complie the kernel that I put on the CD.  Since you can't recompile a Windows kernel, I think this is going to be very tricky.

It is not too terribly difficult to do with Ghost because Ghost is just a program that runs in DOS.  So, NightOwl's CD boots DOS and then launches Ghost.  So, you would have to make a CD that booted Winodws and then looked to your USB drive for file storage.

If it is possible, Bart, the guy who invented BartPE, might have some ideas on how to do it.  The forum for BartPE and a few related projects is here:

http://www.911cd.net/forums/

Almost any computer made in the last 5 years will be capable of a USB boot.  Any computer made in the last 8 or 9 years should be capable of it with an upgrade.  So, amost any computer you sit down at should be able to boot from your hard drive.

IP Logged

OldMan
Dude

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #2 - Aug 28th, 2006 at 7:33am

I am by no means an expert but if I read your intentions correctly, you are expecting to take your 2.5"HD to another machine and use it to boot up instead of the installed OS on that machine, correct?
If that is your intention, WinXP is very picky about being run on a machine that is different than the one it was installed on.  If the hardware is not exactly the same as the one you installed from, it will not like it at all.

IP Logged

MrMagoo
Übermensch

Resident Linux Guru

Phoenix, AZ (USA)

Reply #3 - Aug 29th, 2006 at 2:11am

This is very true.  It is one of the copyright "features" of Windows.  A different system = different system liscense.  Another reason why this project would be much easier with Linux/Unix.  If  you are interested in getting Ubuntu or Fedora to run off this external drive, I can help you do it.

IP Logged

mading
Dude

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #4 - Aug 29th, 2006 at 6:21am

Thanks for your offer to help. I can use all the help I can get.
Well, I would prefer windows. If its possible I would like to give it a shot. But of course better something than nothing, I still have a copy of Fedora core 5 somewhere. I have no Idea of Ubuntu. I would like your recommendation on what is “better” for me(a native windows user(and I am, not because windows is better but because commercial applications are wider available)). How does it work with drivers? From all my hardware I only have the windows drivers. And if I hook up to a new machine do I have to install de driver manually? Ore will it auto detect the new hardware and chance drivers? And how about all my windows applications? I think I heard of ways to install win applications on a Unix machine, but I’m not sure of how.

IP Logged

OldMan
Dude

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #5 - Aug 29th, 2006 at 7:10am

Depending on what you plan to do with this after you get it to work, you could go with a Windows environment instead of the idea you started out to do.  BartPE and Reatogo have many useful items you can do in a Windows like system that will boot from a CD.  I do not know if it will boot from a USB device but I assume someone with the know how can do it.  If you are interested, you can start here.
http://www.reatogo.de/
or here
http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Newport Beach, California

Reply #6 - Aug 29th, 2006 at 10:01am

Re: "
If you are interested in getting Ubuntu or Fedora to run off this external drive, I can help you do it
."

http://radified.com/blog/archives/000273.html

IP Logged

MrMagoo
Übermensch

Resident Linux Guru

Phoenix, AZ (USA)

Reply #7 - Aug 30th, 2006 at 2:40am

Fedora and Ubuntu are both pretty good at autodetecting hardware and adjusting to it.  You shouldn't have much problem moving to a new machine.  Both include modules (drivers) for a very wide range of hardware and I think you will be suprised how many things just work correctly when you turn the computer on.  I was at first. 

I prefer Ubuntu for a desktop computer.  Fedora is the test platform for new things that might eventually be used in Red Hat, so it is sometimes buggy, and geared more toward a coporate envirnment than a personal computer.  That said, my company runs many mission critical servers on Fedora Core 4 with no issues.

Many Windows applications can be run in Linux or Unix using Wine, the Windows emulator.  Many applications have very usefully Linux replacements.  OpenOffice, for example, has much of the same functionality as Microsoft Office.  If you have any applications you absolutly need on the road, let me know and I can probably tell you what the best way to get the same fuctionality is.

If you decide to go the Linux route, let me know and I will get you a list of steps to get started.  I've been meaning to write up how I did this anyway.

IP Logged

mading
Dude

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

boot USB-OS without “ Boot from USB supp.” in BIOS
Reply #8 - Aug 30th, 2006 at 6:31pm

OldMan,
I already have a Preinstalled Environments on CD and I’m sure I don’t wane go in the route for my project. But do you think that the boot files of those PE’s could be useful??
The thing is I already fingered out how to install windows on my external HD. And it would be bootable on the newer computers. I’m just trying to find a workaround for the missing “boot from USB- inside bios function” so basically I’m looking for a boot-CD that can install the missing USB support and than boots the primary partition.

Rad,
Thanks for the link. Nice info, but I did not find any suggestion for my missing workaround.

MrMangoo,
After reading Rad’s link and doing some additional research I narrowed my choice down to http://www.kubuntu.org or Fedora, the new Core 6 beta version had a lot of positive reviews. But I’m gone take your word for it and start with the KDE packages of Ubuntu. (read in different recourses that the KDE compared to the gnome packages are much easier for windows users to get started). I also been reading about wine and Crossover Office it seams that most (big) products are able to work, I think I should just see how fare I can come.(But fore instants do you think my favourite IME would work on Ubuntu? Which you normally would install from out the control panel?
http://www.microsoft.com/globaldev/handson/user/IME_Paper.mspx)
Can any one tell me about there experience with the windows emulator? How is the speed(reaction time) of programs like Photoshop when having to do some big calculations?

I guess I will be able to manage the Ubuntu installation. But all with all I’m still left with my first question. After the install of the OS, how to boot a *OS/the first partition of my HD* from a USB storage device without having “ Boot from USB support” in my bios?

IP Logged

MrMagoo
Übermensch

Resident Linux Guru

Phoenix, AZ (USA)

Reply #9 - Aug 31st, 2006 at 12:42am

The Microsoft IME won't work in Kubuntu, but there is strong language support in Ubuntu.  KDE is slightly more Windows-like, but Gnome isn't hard to learn and I like it a little better (partially because it IS slightly different.)

The Windows Emulator (Wine) does not impact the performance of the application.  You will hardly notice the difference except for the fact that a few functions might not work.  I don't know about Photoshop specifically because I use The GIMP, which is a graphics program written nativly for Linux.  It has all the power of Photoshop but does require some re-learning of the editing functions.  Franks Corner gives simple instructions on how to get Photoshop CS working, but I do encourage you to try the open source GIMP.

http://frankscorner.org/index.php?p=photoshopcs

As far as creating the CD goes, you will need to compile a custom kernel.  That will allow the computer to boot from the CD, load the kernel (which has USB support), then look to the USB device for the root file system.  Its not too tough but does require a few steps that I don't have listed right off hand.

I would recommend that you first install Kubuntu onto that drive and play around with it.  Make sure you are happy with it.  When you are satisfied, I can help you make the CD.  That way you can try Kubuntu and make sure it fits you.  You may decide that you don't like Kubuntu and want to try Ubuntu or Fedora or Slackware or SUSE or something.

If you have any issues or questions about Linux, let me know and I'll get you and answer or point you to the right place.

IP Logged

OldMan
Dude

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #10 - Aug 31st, 2006 at 6:15am

While I do not have an answer to your last question about using PE's boot records for your project, WinXP will not work on different hardware other than a near identical setup to the one from which you installed.  Will the PE's setup will work on most different hardware, if you can't do what you want from inside the environment it creates, then I would say you need to pursue the suggestion from Mr. Magoo.  It sounds like he has a handle on it and just needs to convince you it will do what you intend to do, but in a Linux environment.

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Reply #11 - Aug 31st, 2006 at 10:41am

OldMan wrote on Aug 31st, 2006 at 6:15am:
"... Will the PE's setup will work on most different hardware..."

I created a BartPE-XPE (reatogo edition) CD on my Dell Dimension 8100 set up with the Ghost Ver 8.2 aspect from Norton Ghost 10 plus Partition Magic 8.  For whatever it is worth, I then used the CD to boot numerous other brands of deskstop PCs and one notebook PC without encountering a single glitch (the respective operating systems involved were XP Home like my own PC or else WIN 98SE).  As a test, I used Ver 8.2 to successfully perform Integrity Checks on Ghost 2003 Backup files previously created on each of the respective PCs.

EP
Cry

IP Logged

mading
Dude

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #12 - Sep 13th, 2006 at 3:21am

I decided to go with the Ubuntu. but before I go and install it on my portable HD I like to be sure every thing is going to work. meaning I like to find a answer to my first question before continuing.

After the install of the OS, how to boot the *OS/the first partition of my HD* from a USB storage device without having “ Boot from USB support” in my bios?

IP Logged

MrMagoo
Übermensch

Resident Linux Guru

Phoenix, AZ (USA)

Reply #13 - Sep 13th, 2006 at 6:40am

mading wrote on Sep 13th, 2006 at 3:21am:
I decided to go with the Ubuntu. but before I go and install it on my portable HD I like to be sure every thing is going to work. meaning I like to find a answer to my first question before continuing.

After the install of the OS, how to boot the *OS/the first partition of my HD* from a USB storage device without having “ Boot from USB support” in my bios?

You will have to make a bootable CD.  I can help with that.  Let me know when you are ready.
Quote:
As far as creating the CD goes, you will need to compile a custom kernel.  That will allow the computer to boot from the CD, load the kernel (which has USB support), then look to the USB device for the root file system.

Quote:
I would recommend that you first install Ubuntu onto that drive and play around with it.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print