Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Cloning NVIDIA Striped HDDs (Read 4363 times)
Faolin
Ex Member

Cloning NVIDIA Striped HDDs
Aug 30th, 2006 at 6:27pm

First off, kudos on this forum.  Without having to post, you guys helped me solve my initial ghosting problem (NTFS formatted external hdd wouldn't work, had to make it FAT32).  That was back when I only had to make images of my desktop drives.  Now I've got a laptop, and I'm actually getting the same Ghost error as before (662), but obviously not for the same reason.

I'm using Ghost2003.

So I've been reading around and someone mentioned that Ghost won't clone a RAID setup.  Frankly, I don't know all the insides & outs of these things, but I did purchase this thing with a RAID0 setup and in my specs it's saying something like NVIDIA STRIPE w/ ~150GB.  I know for a fact that it's 2 separate 80GB HDDs that are apparently connected in some fashion for very nice high speed access.  That's pretty much the extent of my knowledge on the matter.

So I tried the same tricks as on my desktop to get this thing to work, but to no avail.  It apparently detects the drives because it reads it as one big ~150GB drive when asking for a source.  The destination is my external hdd as usual, but once I tell it to start cloning, I get the bloody 662 message.  

Any ideas?  Can provide more info if needed, but I'm pretty sure that this RAID thing is what's causing the issue.

Thanks!

Edit:
Almost thought I actually found my solution at: http://us.dfi.com.tw/Upload/Manual/nvraid%20nf3nf45.pdf

But surprisingly, it didn't make any difference.  I'm sure the external drive isn't the culprit.  It works just fine on my desktop using Ghost.  

Exerpt:

Using GHOST with NVIDIA RAID

Problem
GHOST can interface with hard disk controllers by accessing the appropriate memory and hardware locations directly. However, in doing so, this can bypass the RAID enhancements that are provided by the system BIOS. The system BIOS understands the underlying disk and RAID array structures and formats. In order to properly use GHOST to interact with a RAID volume, the user should ensure that the tool is operating in a mode where it does not talk directly to the hardware resources, but rather communicates using the system BIOS.

Solution
In order to use GHOST in a RAID volume, the user must:
• Disable the GHOST Direct Disk Access
• Force it to rely on Extended INT13 to access the disk
To set GHOST to use Extended Interrupt 13h (INT13) access:
a Start GHOST from the DOS prompt. (Not the Windows Command Prompt session)
b Select the “Options” (ALT+O) menu
c Scroll to the “HDD Access” Tab
d Select the “Use Extended Interrupt 13h disk access” (ALT+E)
e Select the “Disable direct IDE access support” (ALT+B)
f Select the “Disable direct ASPI/SCSI access support” (ALT+B)
g Press (ALT+A) to activate the “Accept” button to use the new settings
h Proceed to run GHOST as normal
These steps will then allow the user to use GHOST to copy the disk image through the
RAID array.

Note: Typically, disk cloning software accelerates data transfer through direct disk access, which also allows for overlapping read and write calls, further accelerating the process. Because INT13 calls cannot “overlap”, read and write operations must be performed in series, which causes the disk cloning process to perform slower when RAID is enabled.

IP Logged

MrMagoo
Übermensch

Resident Linux Guru

Phoenix, AZ (USA)

Re: Cloning NVIDIA Striped HDDs
Reply #1 - Aug 31st, 2006 at 12:55am

RAID 0 is basically a way of distributing your files between the two disks so that both disks help in the reading and writing of data.  That is what makes it fast.

I ran a RAID 0 array of 2 SATA drives and had trouble getting Ghost to read it properly. 

http://radified.com/cgi-bin/YaBB/YaBB.cgi?board=general;action=display;num=11299...

The problem is that NVidia RAID isn't true hardware RAID.  The BIOS has some functions to help make the RAID array, but the OS needs some drivers to work with BIOS.  I never figured out how to get those drivers into Ghost.  I eventually gave up and switched to using DriveImageXML from a BartPE CD.

IP Logged

Faolin
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Aug 31st, 2006 at 7:59pm

Thx for the feedback =)

Wasn't really willing to go all out and buy imaging programs at whim until I found one that worked.  But I did find a solution with what I've got.

Rather than ghosting the whole drive, I used Partition Commander to create a small 10gb partition from my 1 current drive.  Then instead of ghosting the whole disk, I ghosted just the main partition, and I made the destination the new 10gb partition.  Worked like a charm.  Even tested a restore and it went off without a hitch. 

I only have one questionable observation.  My past experience with ghost only involves cloning entire disks, not individual partitions.  So when I restore a partition from an image, is it treated any differently than restoring a whole disk from an image?  I ask because when I restore other disks, I usually see the "New Hardware Found" bubbles popping up as soon as I get into Windows.  All the drivers get installed and it asks me to reboot and then everything's normal.  But when I did my test restore via this partition method, I didn't see the same thing happen.  It acted as if I hadn't done anything at all.  I guess this could be a good thing (convenient, no reboot), but I just want to ensure that imaging just my main partition (with OS, boot info & stuff) will actually allow me to restore to a fully operational environment after some complete catastrophe (i.e. hdd purge).  I'm getting nervous that the partition imaging could just be copying files and nothing more.  Of course I have no proof... that's why I'm asking =)

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #3 - Aug 31st, 2006 at 8:08pm

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print