Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Multi-NIC Ghost CD tutorial (Read 11133 times)
bubbaj
Dude

Stickshifts and safety
belts

My big high school...

Multi-NIC Ghost CD tutorial
Sep 1st, 2006 at 3:23pm

This is an update from what was originally published here, http://help.ischool.washington.edu/faqs/12_29_en.html. He isn’t clear on some areas in my opinion, so I’m re-writing the tutorial. This is for a multi-NIC Ghost boot CD only. His single NIC tutorial is just fine.

Create two Ghost boot floppies
First, make a bootable Ghost floppy with NIC support with Ghost’s Boot Wizard. I suppose you can choose any of the templates already made for you, but I selected one for a computer that I already support, a Dell GX520. I suggest going this route. I’m assuming that you already know how to make a NIC-enable boot floppy, so I’m not going to cover that here. I will say that PC-DOS or MS-DOS made no difference in the floppy. Both have worked just fine.

Once that floppy is made, set it aside and create a second bootable floppy, but this time select the CD-Rom boot disk. This is the one meant for reading from a CD-Rom, not writing to. Once done, copy oakcdrom.sys and mscdex.exe to a location on your hard drive. I created a folder on my desktop and called it Multi-NIC CD, just so I could keep all of the needed files in one location.

You need to make sure that you’ve enabled the viewing of hidden files and folder. To do this, open a Windows Explorer window, select Tools from the drop-down toolbar, select Folder Options, and then click the View tab. Select the radio button that reads “Show hidden files and folders”. Click Apply and then OK.

Now eject that floppy and insert the NIC-enabled floppy. Move the Ghost folder from this floppy to the Multi-NIC CD folder. Also, open the Net folder and delete all files BUT netbind.com. You have to leave this file. Now copy oakcdrom.sys and mscdex.exe to the root of the NIC-enabled floppy. Create a file in the root of the floppy and name it mouse.ini. Open mouse.ini and enter the following syntax:

[mouse]
MouseType = PS2

Create NIC-enabled floppies
Save the file and close. Now eject this floppy and set it aside again. Now create a NIC-enabled boot floppy using Ghost’s Boot Wizard for each NIC you want to support with this bootable CD. I’ve only been able to get this to work using the NDIS driver. Once each floppy is created, copy the contents of the Net folder to a folder within the Multi-NIC CD folder. Name this folder in any manner you wish. I named mine after the computers that I support (GX620, for example), or you can name yours after the driver; doesn’t matter.

IP Logged

bubbaj
Dude

Stickshifts and safety
belts

My big high school...

Re: Multi-NIC Ghost CD
Reply #1 - Sep 1st, 2006 at 3:25pm

Folder structure
To keep this from getting confusing, I’m going to stick with how I named my folders, after the computer model. You should now have a Multi-NIC CD folder, and within that folder you should have multiple folders named in the scheme that you chose to follow. Contents of the Multi-NIC folder should now look like the following:

Now open one of those folders. The contents should look like this:

Remember, this is the contents of the Net folder that you copied off. The B57.dos file is the driver and the rest is what allows the driver to work within DOS. Since netbind.com resides in another folder on the floppy (the Net folder, see above) you could probably delete it from these folders. I didn’t because I forgot to.

Adding NIC folders to floppy
Once you’ve copied the contents of the Net folder from all of the NIC-enabled floppies, insert the very first NIC-enabled floppy that you created. This is the one that you remove the Ghost folder from. Go to the Multi-NIC folder on your hard drive and start copying the driver folders (in my case the GX folders) to the root of the floppy. I was able to fit 11 different driver folders on one floppy. You may get more or less depending on the size of the driver. The contents of your floppy should now look like this:

IP Logged

bubbaj
Dude

Stickshifts and safety
belts

My big high school...

Reply #2 - Sep 1st, 2006 at 3:26pm

Editing start-up files
You now need to edit two files so everything will work when booting: autoexec.bat and config.sys. I copied these off to a folder named Originals in my Multi-NIC folder, but you don’t have to. I suggest copying them off for one important reason: you have a back-up of these two files if something goes wrong. Once you’ve copied them off, leave them alone.

Now right-click autoexec.bat on the floppy and select Edit. Open a separate Notepad window and drag and drop config.sys into it. You should now have both files open and ready to edit.

There’s not much editing to the autoexec file. The syntax is as follows, with explanations in bold beneath each line. These explanation lines are not in the autoexec file, but added for your help.

@echo off
You don’t have to have this, but it keeps the a: prompt from displaying while the boot is taking place.
mscdex /L : D /d:mscd001
Mscdex loads the CD drive and then assigns it the D drive letter. I had to put spaces between /L : D to keep from making a smiley. Don't put those spaces in your syntax.
MOUSE.COM
Self-explanatory really. This is so you can use the mouse while in Ghost.
\net\netbind.com
This is where the NIC driver begins to load. How does it know which to load? More on that later.
echo Loading Ghost...
Really a useless line of code, but it’s there so I kept it. This displays Loading Ghost… on the screen.
D:
Everything before now was loaded from the floppy. This line changes the prompt to the CD that you’ll soon burn.
cd \Ghost
The Ghost folder on the CD is then opened.
ghost.exe –fni
And Ghost is then run. You may or may not need the –fni switch at the end of this line. Try it without it. If Ghost freezes, then you need it; if not, then you don’t. If you have a SATA drive, more than likely you’re going to need this switch.

IP Logged

bubbaj
Dude

Stickshifts and safety
belts

My big high school...

Reply #3 - Sep 1st, 2006 at 3:29pm

The syntax of config.sys is as follows. Again, explanations in bold.

[MENU]
menuitem=GX110, Dell GX110
menuitem=GX150, Dell GX150
menuitem=GX260, Dell GX260
menuitem=GX270, Dell GX270
menuitem=GX280, Dell GX280
menuitem=GX520, Dell GX520
menuitem=GX620, Dell GX620
SUBMENU=More,...Laptops...

menudefault=GX110,60

[More]
menuitem=D510, Dell D510
menuitem=D6_800, Dell D600/D800
menuitem=D6_810, Dell D610/D810
menuitem=D6_820, Dell D620/D820
SUBMENU=menu,...Back to Desktops...

Enter a menuitem line for each menu option you want to have. There will be a menuitem for each NIC that you’re wanting to use. After the = is the computer model or NIC name. For ease, name this the same as the folder name. After the , is what will be displayed in the menu. Quotes aren’t needed. When the menu appears, only Dell GX110 will be displayed on that line. I had to create a submenu because only 8-9 options will appear in the menu. Menudefault is what is automatically highlighted in the menu. 60 is the amount of time in seconds until that option is automatically chosen for you.

[COMMON]
DEVICE=oakcdrom.sys /D:mscd001
LASTDRIVE=Z

[GX110]
DEVICE=\GX110\protman.dos /I:\GX110
DEVICE=\GX110\dis_pkt.dos
DEVICE=\GX110\el90x.dos

OK, I’m only going to go through this once, as each section underneath is the same, with only the folder name changes. The [GX110] line corresponds with the menuitem line. What you put in the menuitem line after the = and before the , must be the same here. Each DEVICE line refers to a folder and file on the floppy. So, each GX110 refers to the GX110 folder on the floppy. The last line is really important. This loads the NIC file into memory. So you have \foldername\drivername. El90x.dos is the driver file for the GX110. This is repeated below for each menuitem in the list.

[GX150]
DEVICE=\GX150\protman.dos /I:\GX150
DEVICE=\GX150\dis_pkt.dos
DEVICE=\GX150\el90x.dos

[GX260]
DEVICE=\GX260\protman.dos /I:\GX260
DEVICE=\GX260\dis_pkt.dos
DEVICE=\GX260\e1000.dos

[GX270]
DEVICE=\GX270\protman.dos /I:\GX270
DEVICE=\GX270\dis_pkt.dos
DEVICE=\GX270\e1000.dos

[GX280]
DEVICE=\GX280\protman.dos /I:\GX280
DEVICE=\GX280\dis_pkt.dos
DEVICE=\GX280\B57.dos

[GX520]
DEVICE=\GX520\protman.dos /I:\GX520
DEVICE=\GX520\dis_pkt.dos
DEVICE=\GX520\B57.dos

[GX620]
DEVICE=\GX620\protman.dos /I:\GX620
DEVICE=\GX620\dis_pkt.dos
DEVICE=\GX620\B57.dos

[D510]
DEVICE=\D510\protman.dos /I:\D510
DEVICE=\D510\dis_pkt.dos
DEVICE=\D510\B44.dos

[D6_800]
DEVICE=\D6_800\protman.dos /I:\D6_800
DEVICE=\D6_800\dis_pkt.dos
DEVICE=\D6_800\B57.dos

[D6_810]
DEVICE=\D6_810\protman.dos /I:\D6_810
DEVICE=\D6_810\dis_pkt.dos
DEVICE=\D6_810\B57.dos

[D6_820]
DEVICE=\D6_820\protman.dos /I:\D6_820
DEVICE=\D6_820\dis_pkt.dos
DEVICE=\D6_820\B57.dos

IP Logged

bubbaj
Dude

Stickshifts and safety
belts

My big high school...

Reply #4 - Sep 1st, 2006 at 3:30pm

Burning bootable CD
Hopefully you know how to create a bootable CD. There are too many applications, versions, etc, to really be helpful on this topic. If you don’t know how, consult the Help files within your application or visit the application’s website.

The contents of the CD are simple. Remember copying the Ghost folder with the Ghost.exe file to the Multi-NIC folder? Add this folder to the contents of the CD. That’s all that’s needed.

Additional info
I was bummed at the fact that you cannot add the driver folders to the CD. For some reason you have to have these folders on the floppy. I’ve tried putting them on the CD and then making the necessary changes to config.sys, but it never worked. It’s quite a waste of a CD (although they are cheap), but you could fit a ton of drivers on the CD. But because you have to do it this way you’re limited to the size of the floppy. I’ve also tried moving various files to the CD to make even more room on the floppy, but that didn’t work either.

Since this CD is now at its limit for supporting NIC’s, I thought of another way of making a second CD even easier. I downloaded WinImage from www.winimage.com and used it to create a self-extracting file that puts all of the necessary files on a floppy for me. Then all I have to do is modify the config.sys with the appropriate names and drivers. I then put this file in the root of the CD.

IP Logged

bubbaj
Dude

Stickshifts and safety
belts

My big high school...

Reply #5 - Sep 1st, 2006 at 3:33pm

Hopefully this will help someone else. I've wanted something like this for years and now I've finally found something that works. This may not be useful in home environments, but at businesses that have multiple computers models this should be a great help.

All credit really goes to the link I gave in the first post. I've just clarified it for myself, and hopefully others. Thanks also go to NightOwl for pointing me in the right direction.

IP Logged

bubbaj
Dude

Stickshifts and safety
belts

My big high school...

Reply #6 - Sep 1st, 2006 at 3:34pm

Oh, if anyone wants, I can provide the self-extracting exe for floppy creation. Everything on there is freely available on the Net for download. Ghost isn't on the floppy, so no worries there.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Re: Multi-NIC Ghost CD tutorial
Reply #7 - Sep 1st, 2006 at 4:03pm

bubbaj

Excellent!!!

I'll contact Rad to see if he wants to host the self-extracting floppy!

Just to tweak your interest--with WinImage, you can change to a 2.88 MB boot sector--if your burning program supports placing that on a CD--you could add quite a few more NIC drivers!

(This is slightly off-topic--but I have two systems--each has a Linksys PCI NIC card--one is v4 and the other v5--I have tried everything, but the supposed DOS NDIS driver for either will not function in DOS--it will not recognize the card's MAC address, so a network can not address those cards.

Any ideas on what could be wrong--I've tried two *Universal DOS Network* boot disks, and Barts old CD boot disk for DOS networks--all say they support this brand/model--but always the same problem  Sad  !  

They work fine in a Windows environment--Win98se and WinXP!)

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #8 - Sep 1st, 2006 at 4:31pm

NightOwl, A little off topic too but do your NICs work in the Ghost 10 RE?

http://radified.com/cgi-bin/YaBB/YaBB.cgi?board=general;action=display;num=11367...

ie Using Ghost 8.2 from the RE and networking.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #9 - Sep 1st, 2006 at 4:50pm

Brian

Yes!  I used Ghost32.exe in the RE to set up a *master*/*slave* network relationship that would be the DOS equivalent, and everything worked great--was able to send an image creation across the network through the router--no problems--just had to depend on the *Windows* networking provided by the RE environment!

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

bubbaj
Dude

Stickshifts and safety
belts

My big high school...

Reply #10 - Sep 5th, 2006 at 7:42am

Unfortunately NightOwl, I don't have the foggiest idea. Let me know if Rad wants to host the file.

IP Logged

Interlith
Ex Member

Reply #11 - Jan 17th, 2007 at 4:16pm

I have the solution to all your Ghost multi-nic boot CD problems...
Its free!!!!! Its my little community service Wink

Go to http://www.ghostbootdisk.com

I have created a Multi-NIC Ghost boot CD. You may download it for free. You must supply your own ghost.exe v8.x

Cheers

Jason

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Newport Beach, California

Reply #12 - Jan 18th, 2007 at 4:45pm

bubba, what file are you talking about?

long as it isn't copyrighted, i'm glad to host.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print