Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Problem with Ghost9.0 CopyOneDrive (Read 25568 times)
jcimarron
Gnarly

Problem with Ghost9.0 CopyOneDrive
Sep 16th, 2006 at 4:49pm

It is a very long story.  I hope it is proper to refer you to two threads on another forum.
http://www.windowsbbs.com/showthread.php?t=57516
http://www.windowsbbs.com/showthread.php?t=57602
In summary, whereas I was able to successfully CopyOneDrive using Ghost 9.0 (installed from NortonSystemWorks Premier 2005) for about a year, all of a sudden it would no longer work.  
I am trying to copy from my harddrive to an external USB drive.  I did have a problem with the Windows Paging File about the time the problem started, but this now seems fixed.  
Depending on what fix for Ghost9.0 or the external hard drive I try, I get many different error messages (and at different times in the procedure) as shown in the above links.  
I still can make successful Backups using Ghost9.0.  
Of course, if you need more information, please let me know.
P.S.  I have uninstalled Norton Save&Restore as well as NortonSystemWorks Premier 2006 (which has Ghost 10.0) CD's.  Maybe I should just uninstall and forget Ghost9.0?

Jim

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Re: Problem with Ghost9.0 CopyOneDrive
Reply #1 - Sep 16th, 2006 at 9:23pm

jcimarron wrote on Sep 16th, 2006 at 4:49pm:
"... I am trying to copy from my harddrive to an external USB drive..."

This evening I am updating the Ghost Ver 8.2 on my BartPE-XPE reatogo edition with the executables found on my new Norton Save & Restore CD.  I do not know yet if you can manage to use Save & Restore to backup and restore with legacy Ghost files in a Windows XP Preinstalled Environment like you can with a Ghost 10.0 system CD.

EP
Cry

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #2 - Sep 16th, 2006 at 10:20pm

jcimarron,

I've read all the links but my brain has been concussed by all the information so I'll just concentrate on a few aspects.

Have you changed your DEP settings at all since installing Ghost 9? For example...

Quote:
Modifying the Data Execution Prevention policy   

On the Windows taskbar, click Start > Control Panel.

Double-click System.

On the Advanced tab, under Performance, click Settings.

On the Data Execution Prevention tab, click Turn on DEP for all programs
       and services except those I select.

Click OK to save the change.

Which setting of DEP are you using? Some computers run Ghost 9 better with the first setting and others run better with the second setting. For example, I can't do a manual backup if I choose the second setting. So, whatever your setting, change to the other one and see if you can do a Copy Drive.

I think that you have a Dell. You mentioned not being able to boot from the NSW CD. Try again by pressing F12 when the computer starts and choose the CD boot. Try the same with your Save and Restore CD. Do you have two optical drives? If so try both drives.

Lots more questions later.

IP Logged

jcimarron
Gnarly

Reply #3 - Sep 17th, 2006 at 2:13pm

Brian--I appreciate your trying to wade through the long story.  The number of different error messages I got was very frustrating.
Concering DEP, I have the " On the Data Execution Prevention tab, click Turn on DEP for all programs  and services except those I select"  setting. (No programs are selected for exclusion.)   I will try the other setting.  I see at the bottom of that window "Your computer's process does not support hardware based DEP..."  I do not know if that is standard language or specific to my PC.
I do have the CD-ROM as the first for the PC to try as a boot disk.  As mentioned my Ghost9.0 came from NSW.  I suspect NSW is not a bootable disk, as perhaps a dedicated Ghost9.0 disk might be. (I do have a NSW System Recovery Disk and can boot from it.  But I cannot figure out how to run Ghost CopyOneDrive from it.)   I can boot fine from the Ghost2003 boot disk I am now using to make Clones.
I have not yet installed either Ghost10.0 (from NSW Premier 2006) or Save & Restore.  I plan to install the first in about a month when my present NAV subscription runs out.

Jim

IP Logged

jcimarron
Gnarly

Reply #4 - Sep 17th, 2006 at 2:36pm

Brian--Regrets.  Changing the DEP setting. rebooting and trying to run CopyOneDrive produced the "Unable to update settings.  The selected destination is too small to hold the data. The parameter is incorrect." error message mentioned earlier.   It should be noted that the partition chosen had had a Ghost9.0 Backup of the exact same source and size of data as the CopyOneDrive attempt would have produced.  (Of course I reformatted the partition before attempting the CopyOneDrive.)

Jim

IP Logged

jcimarron
Gnarly

Reply #5 - Sep 17th, 2006 at 2:53pm

El Pescador--Thanks for your post, but I am not  sure what info you wanted to give me.  
I went to the other thread.  Antman's final success is similar to mine (although his starting problem was different)--a Ghost2003 boot disk makes a Clone on the external hard drive.  In my case however it takes 10 hours, whereas, when the Ghost9.0 CopyOneDrive worked, it took only 15-20 minutes.  
That is the frustrating thing.  Ghost9.0 CopyOneDrive worked fine for a year until about the time I got the paging file message from Windows.  I now have the C:\  drive Page File size set as 1533MB, initial and maximum.  Windows seems perfectly happy with that.  The Page File setting for each partition on the external drive is now set as System Managed Size.  (That was set automatically when I deleted and recreated all the partitions a few days ago, as mentioned in the earlier threads.)
I cannot be sure that Windows' PageFile problem was the cause of the Ghost9.0  problem since I do not use Ghost that often.  It was only the "Page File" error message the next time I used Ghost after getting the Windows Page File message that suggested there might be a connection.  
But, again, I have no problems making a Ghost9.0 Backup to these partitions on the external drive.

Jim

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #6 - Sep 17th, 2006 at 3:47pm

jcimarron,

Bad luck with the DEP change.

Quote:
But I cannot figure out how to run Ghost CopyOneDrive from it.

You can't run Copy Drive from the recovery CD. Only from Windows or a BartPE CD.

Maybe it's time to uninstall Ghost 9 and install Save and Restore. See if you can do a "Copy my hard drive" with that app. Let us know what you decide.

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Reply #7 - Sep 17th, 2006 at 8:26pm

El_Pescador wrote on Sep 16th, 2006 at 9:23pm:
"... This evening I am updating the Ghost Ver 8.2 on my BartPE-XPE reatogo edition with the executables found on my new Norton Save & Restore CD..."

The updated Norton Ghost Ver 8.2 executables from the Norton Save & Restore CD seem to work identically to those derived from the Norton Ghost 10 CD.  I expected this, but it felt "warm-and-fuzzy" to confirm it.

El_Pescador wrote on Sep 16th, 2006 at 9:23pm:
"... I do not know yet if you can manage to use Save & Restore to backup and restore with legacy Ghost files in a Windows XP Preinstalled Environment like you can with a Ghost 10 system CD..."

Tonight, I booted from both the Norton Ghost 10 CD and from the Norton Save & Restore CD.  It certainly appears that either product readily allows one to boot into a Windows XP Preinstalled Environment to immediately engage the legacy Backup/Restore procedure by following the path
'Recover > Recover Data on My Computer > Recover using a legacy Ghost image'
.  Unlike the Ghost 9 Recovery Disk, this allows both immediate creation of Ghost Backup files or the converse Recovery of such files that are in fact totally compatible with those *.gho/*.ghs files created with Norton Ghost 2003 - but not those created with Ghost 9 or Ghost 10.

jcimarron wrote on Sep 17th, 2006 at 2:53pm:
"... El Pescador--Thanks for your post, but I am not  sure what info you wanted to give me..."

A clarification that Norton Ghost Ver 8.2 can function in several Windows XP Preinstalled Environments, and with emphasis on those Recovery Disks from Symantec mentioned above.  This results in a product that functions in a like manner to my beloved Ghost 2003 initiated from bootable media, and yet appears to me to be even more robust and trouble-free for its lack of dependence on DOS as there seem to be no SATA HDD conflicts nor USB host/device controller issues.

EP
Cry

IP Logged

jcimarron
Gnarly

Reply #8 - Sep 18th, 2006 at 2:28pm

Brian--I have not yet made up my mind what to do--install Ghost10.0 (from SystemWorks 2006 Premier) or Save&Restore.  I already have the CD's.  The local office supply stores often "give" these programs away--almost free after rebate--I only pay for sales tax and a 39 cent stamp.
Whichever I do, could you advise what I should do about uninstalling Ghost9.0?  Anything other than Control Panel|Add/Remove? 
Actually, since Ghost9.0 was installed from Norton SystemWorks Premier, I have to uninstall NSW as a whole, which includes Norton AV.  That is fine since I only have about a month to go on my present virus update subscription.

Are there any particular reasons to choose Ghost10.0 rather than Save&Restore (or vice versa)?

I see from El Pescador's post that he can boot from Ghost10.0 and Save&Restore CD's.  As you know I cannot boot from the NSW CD. Since Save&Restore is free standing, perhaps I can boot from it if that is what I install.

Jim

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #9 - Sep 18th, 2006 at 3:41pm

jcimarron,

I suggested Save And Restore because it is stand alone. Ghost 10 and S&R are almost identical in their imaging functionality. Try this. See if you can boot to the S&R CD just to make sure you are able. You should be able. Then I'd uninstall your current Norton apps with

Uninstall

Now install S&R and work out your antivirus app later. Does Copy Drive work?

IP Logged

jcimarron
Gnarly

Reply #10 - Sep 19th, 2006 at 2:53pm

Brian-Many thanks for your advice and the Uninstall info.  Do you agree that I should run Control Panel|Add/Remove first and then the Norton Removal Tool?  Or just the Tool?
Yes, the Save&Restore disk is bootable.  Apparently it incorporates the Symantec Recovery Disk function as well as the S&R installation files.
I am pretty busy these next few weeks, so please forgive me that I do not install S&R right now.  When I do, I will post back in this thread and let you know the outcome with CopyOneDrive.

Jim

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #11 - Sep 19th, 2006 at 3:13pm

jcimarron wrote on Sep 19th, 2006 at 2:53pm:
Do you agree that I should run Control Panel|Add/Remove first and then the Norton Removal Tool?  Or just the Tool?

Just the tool. We'll hear from you in a few weeks. Good luck.

IP Logged

jcimarron
Gnarly

Reply #12 - Oct 21st, 2006 at 5:26pm

Since I have plenty of time recovering from a minor operation, I uninstalled Ghost9 and installed Save&Restore.  The manual is quite thick so I have not even started to understand it, but it looks like I was able to back up my C:\ drive successfully to my USB external hard drive.
Functions are in different places in S&R.  The main controls are from Norton SystemWorks or from a Systray icon, not from Start/All Programs.  And the functions seem different depending on source, but that may be a lack of experience.
S&R allows differential and incremental backups.  (I never did find that in Ghost9.)  Individual files can be backed up.
I do not believe there is anything like Clone (Copy Drive) in S&R.  But you can Browse (and use) the files in the compressed (and encrypted?) Backup.  Once the Backup folder is opened by just clicking on it, it functions as if you were using the Windows My Computer tree directory.  Favorites, for example, can be accessed and used.
So I guess Clone (or Copy Drive) as a separate entity is gone, unless someone can lead me to it.
The installation disk is also an "emergency boot disk".  I do not know if that functions the same as a Symantec Recovery Disk which ships with Norton SystemWorks ( but I have that, too).  The Symantec Recovery Disk is mentioned several times in the parts of the S&R manual I have read, so for the sake of those who buy only S&R I hope they are the same.
I suspect I am not telling you anything you did not already know.
As I said, the manual Is pretty thick (170 pages), so it will take some time to digest. 
P.S.   I still have Ghost10 from NSW but I have not installed it.  There probably is no need to with S&R.

Jim

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #13 - Oct 21st, 2006 at 6:02pm

Copy Drive is still in Ghost S&R (Chapter 11, page 125) of the User Manual.

Ghost Save & Restore is essentially Ghost ver. 11 with a new name and file/folder backup added as a new feature.

You should definitely boot from the install CD which is also the System Recovery CD, and test restoring a small folder.

Ghost4me  Ghost 9, 10, 12, 14, 15.  Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #14 - Oct 22nd, 2006 at 3:52am

jcimarron wrote on Oct 21st, 2006 at 5:26pm:
S&R allows differential and incremental backups.

jcimarron,

Sure about that? I haven't used S & R but there is no mention in the userguide of "Differential". Incremental Recovery Points are available.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print