Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Ghost 2003 Restored drive won't boot (Read 4602 times)
RickK
N00b

Dallas, TX - area

Ghost 2003 Restored drive won't boot
Oct 5th, 2006 at 7:06am

For a while, I have been backing up C: to DVD with Ghost 2003. I use "Partition to Image". Then, I check it. No errors.

Now, I have used Win2k Disk Management to partition and format a new drive. The restore went well. (Actually, I had a second "Program Files" on D:, which I Ghosted and restored as well, both with Partition to Image.)

Everything went well until I tried to boot with the new drive, and booting fails. I put the old drive back, and it worked fine.

Both drives are using Cable Select, although I tried the Master setting also.

Any suggestions?
TIA, RickK

IP Logged

Christer
Übermensch

Sweden

Re: Ghost 2003 Restored drive won't boot
Reply #1 - Oct 5th, 2006 at 8:02am

Partition-to-Image does not copy the MBR. On a drive which has previously had an operating system, Partition-from-Image will normally work but not on a virgin drive. Using a Win98 start disk and the command FDISK /MBR will rewrite the MBR and hopefully, the clone will boot after that trick.

Christer

Old chinese proverb:
If I hear - I forget, If I see - I remember, If I do - I understand

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #2 - Oct 5th, 2006 at 8:33am

RickK

In another thread, I think we found that *Partition-to-Image* does capture the MBR--but a *Partition-from-Image* restore to a HDD that has already been partitioned--as you have done--will not restore the former MBR--i.e. the restore will not *disturb* the partitioning, and the MBR that you have already created using the Win2k Disk Management.

Using Win2k Disk Management to partition and format a new HDD from an existing Windows OS--I'm betting the new HDD's restored primary OS partition has not been set *active*.

PartitionMagic, gdisk--the partitioning tool that comes with Ghost 2003, and  
MBRWizard
, a free partition utility--can all be used to look at the status of that partition and change it to *active*, if that is in fact the problem.

If you did a *disk-from-image* restore--then the backed up MBR would be restored and the *partition table* showing that primary OS partition as *active* would be in place--you possibly would have to use Ghost *switches* to control how big that restored partition will be--if you leave Ghost in its *default* mode--*disk-from-image* will fill the destination HDD with a single partition, and leave no unused room on the destination HDD.

Report back with the results of your efforts!

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

RickK
N00b

Dallas, TX - area

Reply #3 - Oct 5th, 2006 at 10:06am

Christer and NightOwl, thanks for your replies.
I'll get back to work on it, and I'll advise.

IP Logged

cazador
N00b

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

London ,UK

Reply #4 - Oct 6th, 2006 at 6:56am

FWIW I had a similar experience about one year ago.
After restoring an image using Ghost 9 and rebooting, Windows would not start because the file hal.dll is missing or corrupt (according to Microsoft this is not an unusual situation). I booted with the Ghost 9 CD to the recovery environment and could see that the file is where it should be. Following Microsoft’s advice I replaced the file, then ran all the Disk doctor tests without success. The same problem happened with older images of partition C: that had restored well in the past, therefore it did not seem to be a problem of the images themselves. (When making an image I routinely verify it by restoring it immediately; if something is wrong I would rather know it sooner than later.) Symantec support were no help at all; they assigned a case number but did not follow up and stopped answering emails. As I use laptops with Windows preinstalled, I do not have a retail copy of Windows that I can use to reboot and run a repair. I had to start again from scratch by running the recovery program. The problem never happened again but it shook me out of a false sense of security. After reading the 'Ghost Guide' I want now to fine tune my procedures by using Ghost 2003 instead of Ghost 9 and storing the images to a FAT32 partition instead of NTFS (on an external USB HDD).
I bought an alternative program but the initial experience was very frustrating so I decided to stick to the ‘devil I know’ and keep my fingers crossed hoping that the problem was indeed a one-time event.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #5 - Oct 6th, 2006 at 8:47am

cazador

Quote:
After restoring an image using Ghost 9 and rebooting, Windows would not start because the file hal.dll is missing or corrupt

That error can occur also when using Ghost 2003--and happens most often when a user has a system that has *hidden* recovery partitions and/or utility partitions--and a person restores images onto a different HDD as a upgrade to a larger HDD, or attempts to eliminate those *hidden* partitions to create more HDD space--it has to do with how Windows assigns drive letters (and remembers them), and how boot.ini uses the ARC path to specify which partition has the boot files on it.

You can learn more about these issues here in various postings in our forum here, and here: 
Fixing Windows 2000/XP Drive Letters

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

cazador
N00b

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

London ,UK

Reply #6 - Oct 6th, 2006 at 9:52am

Thank you for the warning. It accept there is no failsafe method of ensuring that the operating system partition can be restored easily. Although this is a desirable convenience it is not the main objective for me as I can if necessary reinstall the programs and tweaks following a detailed crib sheet. My priority is to preserve the data. Regards

IP Logged

cazador
N00b

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

London ,UK

Reply #7 - Oct 6th, 2006 at 10:58am

> That error can occur also when using Ghost 2003
Would you say that Drive Image 7 with or without upgrade to 7.03 is more reliable that Ghost 9?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print