Send Topic Print
Ghosting Core 2 Duo (Read 8643 times)
frj11
Dude

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Ghosting Core 2 Duo
Oct 10th, 2006 at 9:33am

Problem:
I just finished construction of a Core 2 Duo box.  Running Ghost 2003 from my CD was not possible with the new Sony DVD burner.  I think I have a workaround for that and am running Ghost 2003 from a USB flash drive. 

The real problem is that while I can see my boot drive (an IDE drive) with DOS FDISK Ghost does not see it.  Well it does and it does not.  The drive numbers start with 2.  So it is aware of the fact that there is a drive there.  It just does not show it.  Therefore I can not backup my boot partition.

My motherboard is: Intel® Desktop Board DG965RY

I can be reached at frj11@yahoo.com

Thanks,

Rick

???

frj11  
IP Logged

Pleonasm
Übermensch

Re: Ghosting Core 2 Duo
Reply #1 - Oct 10th, 2006 at 12:21pm

Rick, have you considered testing Ghost 8.2 (i.e., the Windows version of Ghost 2003)?  The application is found on the Ghost 10.0 recovery environment CD.

ple • o • nasm n. “The use of more words than are required to express an idea”

IP Logged

frj11
Dude

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #2 - Oct 10th, 2006 at 2:25pm

Actually I tried the Ghost 10 free trial download yesterday.  It worked quite well.  My problem is I do not want to load a Windows environment in order to restore a partition.

Intel’s Core 2 Duo site says they decreasing support for IDE type drives.  I am not sure if that is Intel-ese for “I am screwed”.

Thanks for the reply

Rick

Roll Eyes

frj11  
IP Logged

Pleonasm
Übermensch

Reply #3 - Oct 10th, 2006 at 4:13pm

Rick, to clarify, are you saying that Ghost 8.2 does indeed recognize your IDE boot drive?  If so, can you verify images created by Ghost 2003 using Ghost 8.2?  Have you tested a restore of a Ghost 2003 created image using Ghost 8.2?  (Note that we’re talking here about Ghost 8.2 and not Ghost 10.)

Out of curiosity, why are you hesitant to boot into Windows PE in order to perform the restore operation?

IP Logged

frj11
Dude

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #4 - Oct 10th, 2006 at 4:44pm

I am sorry I did not make myself clear.  Let me try again.

I have two systems.  My production system:
CPU Name 
Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.40GHz
CPU Code Name 
Prescott

On this system I have no problem running Ghost 2003 and backing up the boot partition from DOS. 

My new system is a Core 2 Duo:
CPU Name 
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU 6400 @ 2.13GHz
CPU Code Name 
Conroe

On this system I can not run Ghost 2003 to completion.  I can get to DOS and using FDISK I can see the hard drive.  Ghost 2003 seems to be aware of the dive as the numbering starts at 2.  Drive #2 is my USB flash drive.  Not to belabor the point if I can not see the boot partition I can not build an image of that drive.

Both systems are running 32 bit Windows XP.  Both systems are fully operational under Windows XP.  Even the second partition of the first drive is visible and usable on the Core 2 Duo system.  In fact this was to be the target for my backup.  I have a SAT drive on order but it has not delivered yet. 

Sorry to be so dang wordy.

Rick
Embarrassed

frj11  
IP Logged

Pleonasm
Übermensch

Reply #5 - Oct 10th, 2006 at 6:40pm

Rick, thank you for the additional background.

Although it is not a solution using Ghost 2003 proper, several users have reported success in utilizing the Windows equivalent of Ghost 2003 (i.e., Ghost 8.2) to recognize hard disk drives that are problematic with Ghost 2003.  The two applications are essentially equivalent, except that Ghost 2003 runs in DOS (while Ghost 8.2 runs in Windows PE).

One possible functional solution is to try Ghost 8.2.  If it recognizes your IDE boot drive, then you ought to be able to both create images from (and restore images to) it.  Alternatively, Ghost 10.0 might be the answer – since it runs in Windows XP to create the image and Windows PE (i.e., the recovery environment) to restore images of the operating system partition.

Hopefully, NightOwl and El_Pescador will notice this thread and add their substantial Ghost 2003 experience to the discussion.

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Reply #6 - Oct 10th, 2006 at 9:28pm

frj11 wrote on Oct 10th, 2006 at 9:33am:
"... The real problem is that while I can see my boot drive (an IDE drive) with DOS FDISK Ghost does not see it.  Well it does and it does not.  The drive numbers start with 2.  So it is aware of the fact that there is a drive there.  It just does not show it..."

OPERATIVE PHRASE:
"... beg, borrow, or steal..."

EP
Cry

IP Logged

frj11
Dude

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #7 - Oct 20th, 2006 at 11:42am

Follow-up:

The trick to getting ghost 2003 working with a Core 2 Duo systems seems to have more to do with the ROM-BIOS than anything else.  My Intel DG965RY motherboard does not support legacy IDE drives well.  The support for SAT type hard drives is very good.  My solution is to have a copy of Ghost 2003 on my USB flash drive and run it from that drive.  Once you do that all problems go away and you can back up and restore to the SAT drives.

Smiley

frj11  
IP Logged

frj11
Dude

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #8 - Oct 26th, 2006 at 11:43am

Follow-up #2

I am not sure what the heck is going on with the Core 2 Duo system.  Suddenly yesterday my restore rate dropped from ~1300 to ~170.  This caused the restore time to increase from 2:35 to something over 17 minutes.  The restored image is valid it just takes a much longer time.  I have tried ghost.exe –fna –fnu and while this increased the speed of image creation it did not increase the speed of the restore.  I have tried restoring working with a single disk with 3 partitions as well as restoring from a second drive. 

No changes were made to the Intel ROM – BIOS settings.  Image verify runs at twice the creation speed (that is ~3400).  Verify has always run much quicker than other tasks.

Has anyone experienced this problem?  If so do you have a work around? 

frj11  
IP Logged

frj11
Dude

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #9 - Oct 30th, 2006 at 9:36pm

The workaround:

What I have done to solve this problem is two fold. 

1. I put a copy of ghost2003 on my USB flash drive in the root directory.
2. Boot to DOS using a windows98 boot disk.
3. Use fdisk/status to find your USB flash drive.
4. My flash drive was found at F:
5. Type f:ghost to launch ghost.
6. The DG965RY treats IDE drives in a strange manner so you must make some changes to Ghost itself.
7. When you get the main Ghost screen up select Options.
8. Using the tab key select the HDD access tab.
9. Tab down to the box labeled Disable direct IDE support (–fni).  Check this box.
10. Tab down to the Accept button and press enter.

Now you may proceed with a standard Ghost backup or restore.  Both your SAT and PAT drives can be seen and used.

frj11  
IP Logged

frj11
Dude

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #10 - Nov 1st, 2006 at 4:19pm

One final point:

In the same directory where Ghost.exe lives create a file called ghost.ini.  This file has the following switch settings.

span(Spanning)                      = Y
autoname(AutoName)             = Y
fni(DisableDirectIDE)               = Y

Smiley

frj11  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print