Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Ghost 10 log and "running out of room" (Read 21023 times)
greensteak
N00b

Miles From Nowhere

Ghost 10 log and "running out of room"
Oct 19th, 2006 at 7:04am

Hello.

I'm running a Dell 8200 Dimension w/ 1gb ram, 2.2 Pentium 4, USB 2.0 PCI controller card, purchased in 1-02.

I've had Ghost 10 for almost a year, and fortunately haven't had to restore data from a failed drive (yet). But the program is giving me confusing log messages and other odd behavior.

Here's a scenerio that has repeated at least 4 times in a row, over the last 6 months or so.

I'm imaging my hard drive to a Western Digital 250GB external desktop drive. The hard drive on my Dell is also 250 GB. When the image backup is "allegedly" complete, the WD contains about 180 of uncompressed data from the image, which leaves around 60 GB available. This matches the data on the Dell hard drive.

I say "allegedly" because the log file reads something like this:

6:19:05 AM: Ghost has sucessfully completed the base backup.

6:19:07 AM: Ghost is running out of room for recovery point. Backup failed.

OK, who told it to do a recovery point immediately after the base backup was complete? Or, just what the heck Ghost trying to tell me? That leaves me wondering if the 180 GB of image data in the recovery folder on the WD is valid, or incomplete and worthless.

Additionally, when I shut off the computer this morning, it said something like "do you want to shut down, Ghost is waiting on a responce from you, etc."  But, Ghost was not running.
Apparently, somethere in the computer, something thought Ghost was still trying to create a recovery point and running out of room.

Lastly, if I DID try to do a recovery point immediately after the base backup, there would be few files that were modified if any, so 60 GB would be infinetely more that enough room on the WD for a recovery point.

Thanks for any insight.

GS

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Re: Ghost 10 log and "running out of room&
Reply #1 - Oct 19th, 2006 at 3:30pm

greensteak,

Wow, 180 GB uncompressed image on an external HD. Out of interest, how long does Ghost 10 take to create that image?

We need to know if that recovery point is OK so double click the .v2i file on the external HD. This opens the Recovery Point Browser. From here you can run "Verify". Second last icon at the top. Let us know what happens and how long it takes.

IP Logged

greensteak
N00b

Miles From Nowhere

Re: Ghost 10 log and "running out of room&quo
Reply #2 - Oct 20th, 2006 at 7:43am

It takes several hours, usually around 5.

I'll check .v2i files this weekend.

Thanks,

GS

IP Logged

greensteak
N00b

Miles From Nowhere

Reply #3 - Oct 25th, 2006 at 2:18pm

I started to verify the files last night, but the progress bar indicated it was going to take a considerable amount of time...then I remembered I had the "verify recovery point" or whatever the verification box is checked before doing the base backup. I also opened the last .v2i file that was created, opened a few files and saved them to the desktop, which lets me know the integrity is probably intact for the remainder of the .v2i files.

I'm also wondering why, of the .v2i files created during the base backup, that the last one had a modified time of 2:38 in the morning (the backup ran from approximately 10 pm last Wednesday to 2:38 am Thursday), but the log file messages I mentioned in the initial post said the backup completed at 6:19:05 am Thursday. If Ghost wasn't making any new .v2i files for 4 hours, I wonder what was transpiring.

Maybe I'll boost my tolerance levels to new heights and give the well-meaning but not-always-adequately-informed staff at live chat a try, and see if they can shed any light.

Thanks,

GS

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #4 - Oct 25th, 2006 at 4:06pm

greensteak,

You indicated there were several .v2i files. I thought you only had a single backup.

IP Logged

Pleonasm
Übermensch

Reply #5 - Oct 25th, 2006 at 4:08pm

Greensteak, with a 180GB recovery point, it is clear that you are backing up more than simply your operating system.  I encourage you to make a distinction between a system backup (of Windows and installed programs) and a file backup (of your personal data files).  Ghost is well suited for the former; other tools are better suited for the latter.  Using a single tool to accomplish both objectives in most situations just isn’t the best approach.

For example, I use Ghost 10.0 for system backup, and the Connected DataProtector service for file backup and off-site protection.  There are, of course, many file oriented backup applications in existence to address a wide variety of user requirements.

ple • o • nasm n. “The use of more words than are required to express an idea”

IP Logged

MadtKrandle
Radmeister

Guess which one's the
Dummy.

Upstate NY

Reply #6 - Oct 26th, 2006 at 12:31am

I thought 30 gigs was huge.  180 is unfathomable.  I would go with Pleonasm and keep your buisness away from your pleasure.  Too many things can go wrong with that size of image including, but not limited to: distribution speed.

I'm hardly an expert, but I have had problems with distributing images of less than that girth in the past.

and verifying it...   you better set your alarm clock.

I just scoured the whole freakin net and Google brought me back here!
IP Logged

greensteak
N00b

Miles From Nowhere

Reply #7 - Oct 26th, 2006 at 9:16am

I'm under the impression the purpose of Ghost is to "create a snapshot of the entire hard disk". This necessitates the creation of many, many 4gb (fat32 on the destination external drive) .v2i files. Apparently, this load may be too heavy.

I've read in the manual and elsewhere that partitioning is recommended, so it would now seem that one hard drive partitioned into two drive letters would be the way to go, with the system (xp-sp2 in this case) on one partition and the data on another.

In my case, backing up DATA is accomplished on an "as needed" basis, not exceeding weekly, using an Iomega backup utility that backs up selected folders to three other external drives stored in a media fire safe (not to be confused with the normal paper and document fire safe). By doing this, Ghost need not backup data and can concentrate on the system and program files. But, I will have to partition the hard drive to make Ghost work efficiently it seems.

Thanks,

GS

IP Logged

Pleonasm
Übermensch

Reply #8 - Oct 26th, 2006 at 9:23am

Greensteak, you’re on the right path.  Distinguish “data” from “system/program”, and use Ghost 10 exclusively for the latter.

ple • o • nasm n. “The use of more words than are required to express an idea”

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #9 - Oct 26th, 2006 at 10:25am

greensteak wrote on Oct 26th, 2006 at 9:16am:
This necessitates the creation of many, many 4gb (fat32 on the destination external drive) .v2i files. Apparently, this load may be too heavy.

You should reformat your external hard drive to NTFS to allow larger file sizes and better file integrity and file recovery.  Many of the name brand external drives/enclosures come pre-formatted as FAT32 for compatibility with Windows 98 and DOS, but if you're using Windows XP, I would definitely (when convenient) delete the external hard drive partition using the Windows XP Disk Management and define a new NTFS partition.

(I'm assuming you just have Ghost backup files on the partition.  If you have other data files, copy or back them up somewhere first, since deleting the partition deletes everything.)

Ghost4me  Ghost 9, 10, 12, 14, 15.  Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7

IP Logged

MadtKrandle
Radmeister

Guess which one's the
Dummy.

Upstate NY

Reply #10 - Oct 26th, 2006 at 11:00am

Ghost4Me has the answer with formatting into NTFS to support larger file sizes.  I think the problem probably exists with the multiple 4GB .V2i files.

I just scoured the whole freakin net and Google brought me back here!
IP Logged

greensteak
N00b

Miles From Nowhere

Reply #11 - Oct 26th, 2006 at 2:00pm

Thanks folks.

I'll embark on the project as time permits.

GS

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print