Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Internet Explorer 7 Has Arrived (Read 27439 times)
Pleonasm
Übermensch

Internet Explorer 7 Has Arrived
Oct 19th, 2006 at 9:29am

ple • o • nasm n. “The use of more words than are required to express an idea”

IP Logged

Pleonasm
Übermensch

Re: Internet Explorer 7 Has Arrived
Reply #1 - Oct 19th, 2006 at 10:08am

Symantec Technical Support says that Norton Internet Security 2007 is completely compatible with Internet Explorer 7.

Webroot has advised that version 5.0 of Spy Sweeper is not compatible, however; version 5.2 of Spy Sweeper can be used with Internet Explorer 7.

IP Logged

texdawg
Technoluster

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #2 - Oct 19th, 2006 at 10:26am

Has MS released their first security patches for IE 7 yet?  Smiley

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #3 - Oct 19th, 2006 at 10:09pm

Pleonasm wrote on Oct 19th, 2006 at 10:08am:
Webroot has advised that version 5.0 of Spy Sweeper is not compatible, however; version 5.2 of Spy Sweeper can be used with Internet Explorer 7.

Spy Sweeper 5.2 may be compatible with IE7, but according to this Wilders Security thread, and this press release, Spy Sweeper 5.2 will include Sophos anti-virus product integrated into Spy Sweeper.

I think that just about ends the arguments and speculation about whether or not Norton AntiVirus is "incompatible" with Spy Sweeper.  Yes, it's not compatible (or won't be shortly).

By the way, I can't find any link to version 5.2 of Spy Sweeper.  Anyone?

Ghost4me  Ghost 9, 10, 12, 14, 15.  Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7

IP Logged

Pleonasm
Übermensch

Reply #4 - Oct 20th, 2006 at 8:24am

Ghost4me, concerning Reply #3, the announcement states that a "technology partnership" has been formed between Sophos and Webroot.  It does not say that the Spy Sweeper product will only be offered with the Sophos Anti-Virus component integrated into it.  My best guest would be that Webroot will produce two versions of Spy Sweeper:  a "standard" version without the anti-spyware capability, and a "premier" version (at a higher price) with the anti-virus feature.

Even if Webroot only offers one version in which the anti-virus capability is integrated into Spy Sweeper, in most such situations the user has the option to perform a "custom install" and select or omit which components should be installed on the PC.  For example, I use the V-COM Fix-It Utilities suite which has an integrated anti-virus and anti-spyware capability.  However, during installation, these elements can be easily omitted.  When installing Norton SystemWorks 2006 Premier, the same story exists:  you can easily omit the installation of Norton AntiVirus even though it is part of the product.

Therefore, this statement just isn't certain:  The announcement "ends the arguments and speculation about whether or not Norton AntiVirus is "incompatible" with Spy Sweeper.  Yes, it's not compatible (or won't be shortly)."

We will need to wait and see, but it certainly is not a forgone conclusion that Spy Sweeper will fail to work on PCs with Norton AntiVirus installed.  From a marketing and sales perspective, it would only make sense for Webroot to allow the user to optionally install the anti-virus component.

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #5 - Oct 20th, 2006 at 9:28am

Pleonasm wrote on Oct 20th, 2006 at 8:24am:
We will need to wait and see, but it certainly is not a forgone conclusion that Spy Sweeper will fail to work on PCs with Norton AntiVirus installed.

That's not what I said.  Once again you got your rhetoric reversed.  You should have said "...Norton AntiVirus will fail to work on PC's will SpySweeper installed."

IP Logged

Pleonasm
Übermensch

Reply #6 - Oct 20th, 2006 at 10:09am

I'm failing to understand your point.  If Product A and Product B are "incompatible," then it is equally correct to say that "Product A is incompatible with Product B" as it is to say "Product B is incompatible with Product A."

If a user has "AntiVirus Product A" installed and then seeks to install "AntiVirus Product B," then (hopefully!) one or both products will issue a warning during the installation process.  Does that make them "incompatible"?  Hardly.  It simply means that a user shouldn't be running two anti-virus products simultaneously - right?

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #7 - Oct 20th, 2006 at 11:21am

When Symantec says in a pop-up window "The programs listed below are incompatible with this Norton product..." was one of the choices to abort the Symantec installation because Symantec was incompatible with the other?

I'm not going to rehash points already discussed in other threads.

Are you sure you're not a Symantec shill in sheep's clothing?

IP Logged

Pleonasm
Übermensch

Reply #8 - Oct 20th, 2006 at 12:30pm

Ghost4me, rest assured that I have no connection with Symantec other than being a satisfied user.

You asked:  "Was one of the choices to abort the Symantec installation?"  Well, yes.  The very same Norton Internet Security (NIS) 2007 installation window that reports "incompatibilities" has the standard "X" in the upper-right corner that if selected would presumably cancel the installation process at that point.

The actual verbiage on the Norton Internet Security (NIS) 2007 installation window says, “The programs listed below are incompatible with this Norton product."  You seem to be arguing that it would be huge improvement if Symantec had said, "This Norton product is incompatible with the programs listed below."  Are you serious?  If so, would it have been a further improvement if Symantec had used a larger font for the text "Norton" than for "programs listed below"?

At this time, we do not know if the new anti-virus feature of Spy Sweeper will result in a separate and new version of the product (e.g., "Spy Sweeper Premier") or, if not, whether the user could disable the installation of the anti-virus component of Spy Sweeper either upon installation or thereafter.  Thus, my comments in Reply #4 remain:  it is premature to declare that anything about the relationship between NIS 2007 and Spy Sweeper has changed.  Therefore, it clearly isn't true that this "ends the arguments and speculation about whether or not Norton AntiVirus is 'incompatible' with Spy Sweeper."

However, in the worst case scenario in which the anti-virus capabilities become integral to and inseparable from Spy Sweeper, then Spy Sweeper – as a consequence of Webroot's own action - would become "incompatible" with all other anti-virus applications, including ZoneAlarm ANTIVIRUS.  Would you therefore criticize Zone Labs for attempting to maliciously "crush" the competition in this case, as you seem so willing to do with Symantec?

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #9 - Oct 20th, 2006 at 4:59pm

Pleonasm wrote on Oct 19th, 2006 at 10:08am:

According to Webroot/SpySweeper:

http://support.webroot.com/ics/support/default.asp?deptID=776

I am using Internet Explorer Version 7 and I am getting a registry error.

If you are installing Internet Explorer 7, it will attempt to modify the registry value:
HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main\Default_Page_URL

Spy Sweeper 5.0’s Hijack Shield with the default settings silently denies this modification. This causes the installation of IE 7 to fail. The IE 7 application that attempts to make this modification is: Update.exe

In order to allow the installation, please disable the Hijack shield in Spy Sweeper, then install Internet Explorer Version 7.  In order to disable your Hijack shield in Spy Sweeper 5.0, go to Shields tab in Spy Sweeper, click on IE Hjack Shield, then uncheck the box next to it.

In Version 4.5, go to Shields in Spy Sweeper then click on the Internet Explorer tab.   From here you will be able to disable the IE Hijack Shield.  

After the Hijack Shield is disabled, install Internet Explorer 7, then after the installation is complete, please re-enable the Hijack shield.  

Thank you for chosing Webroot Software.

IP Logged

Pleonasm
Übermensch

Reply #10 - Oct 21st, 2006 at 11:38am

Nice detective work, Ghost4me.  Webroot didn't tell me how Spy Sweeper 5.0 was "incompatible" with Internet Explorer (IE) 7 – only that it was.  They also said that version 5.2 was to be released before Fri. 20 OCT 2006 – but, obviously, that has not occurred.

Another (simpler) option for users to consider is just to disable (shut down) Spy Sweeper during the installation of IE 7.

Otherwise, I have not seen any of my Internet-enabled applications (e.g., Total Net Shield) troubled by the use of IE 7.  All appears to be working well.

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #11 - Oct 21st, 2006 at 3:36pm

I've updated/installed IE7 on three PC's so far, all without problems:

1. Dell desktop with Spy Sweeper 5.0.  I shut down (stopped) Spy Sweeper before installing IE7.  No problems.

2. Dell laptop with ZoneAlarm (ZA firewall+ZA antivirus).  I didn't shut down anything prior, and installed IE7.  No problems.

3. Generic Pentium 4 PC with Asus motherboard and with Norton AntiVirus 2007.  I didn't shut down anything prior, and installed IE7.  No problems.

And yes I do like Norton AntiVirus 2007.   Grin  It seems to be an improvement over NAV 2006 and NAV 2005.

IP Logged

Pleonasm
Übermensch

Reply #12 - Oct 25th, 2006 at 10:08am

Version 5.2.3 (build 2120) of Spy Sweeper was released 24 OCT 2006.  The product is available in two configurations, as was predicted in Reply #4:  (1) the traditional anti-spyware tool, and (2) the former combined with anti-virus capabilities (for an additional fee of $10).

IP Logged

MadtKrandle
Radmeister

Guess which one's the
Dummy.

Upstate NY

Reply #13 - Oct 26th, 2006 at 12:41am

Don't feel the need to defend lest plug, oh knowledgable Pleonasm, for I use Norton as well without complaint. ...  except that I had to manually remove a trojan through safe mode last week....  but I guess that's to be expected once in a while.  At least it notified me that it's arms were tied.  Smiley

I just scoured the whole freakin net and Google brought me back here!
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print