Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
problem accessing USB HDD with ghost 10.0 recov CD (Read 17181 times)
easytherm
N00b

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Switzerland

problem accessing USB HDD with ghost 10.0 recov CD
Oct 24th, 2006 at 1:11pm

Hello everybody! I spent a couple of hours searching why the recovery cd of my ghost 10.0 didn't find my external USB HDD.

All is brand new: compaq nc8430 - HDD samsung 400GB in a new external USB case...

The diagnostic was: the USB harddrive was almost never recognized, a USB flash stick was almost allways recognized.

I didn't find any solution in this or other forum, neither in the norton search library.

Then I explained my problem to symantec at NIC_drivers@symantec.com and they suggested me to disable the  USB legacy support in my Bios.

This solved my problem and may help other people!

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Re: problem accessing USB HDD with ghost 10.0 reco
Reply #1 - Oct 24th, 2006 at 2:07pm

Easytherm,

Thanks for the great tip.  I just added your comments and this thread to the FAQ !

Ghost4me  Ghost 9, 10, 12, 14, 15.  Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #2 - Oct 24th, 2006 at 3:45pm

easytherm,

That is interesting. Do you think this long and interesting thread applies to you? Your recovery technique was novel.

http://radified.com/cgi-bin/YaBB/YaBB.cgi?board=general;action=display;num=11441...

IP Logged

easytherm
N00b

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Switzerland

Reply #3 - Oct 25th, 2006 at 2:27am

Brian,

I think it deals with the same problem, which, I repeat, was fully solved by disabling the USB leagcy option.

By the way, Symantec advised me to check 4 things before any further investigation:

1- Verify that the power is on for this USB drive
2- Verify that the USB drive is plugged in to an USB port that is integrated into the motherboard before starting your computer
3- Verify that in Windows (on the same machine) you do not have the following drive letters assigned to the USB drive: A,B,C,X,Z
4- In the BIOS make sure "support legacy USB is disabled.

advise 1 is obvious
advise 2 is also obvious (USB subsystem must be controlled from the PC's chipset)
advise 3 is also clear as A,B,X and Z are setup and used by the PE
advise 4 was new for me. Apparently while booting or in the PE mode, by enabling USB legacy support, the system does not consider the USB ports as a pure USB system, but rather as a mx of USB and PS/2 port, which caused my problem.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #4 - Oct 25th, 2006 at 2:40am

easytherm wrote on Oct 25th, 2006 at 2:27am:
1- Verify that the power is on for this USB drive
2- Verify that the USB drive is plugged in to an USB port that is integrated into the motherboard before starting your computer
3- Verify that in Windows (on the same machine) you do not have the following drive letters assigned to the USB drive: A,B,C,X,Z
4- In the BIOS make sure "support legacy USB is disabled.

I don't have that option in my BIOS. What do you lose with disabling USB legacy support? Possibly unable to use a USB keyboard and mouse in DOS?

My optical drives are Y: and Z: and they work in the Ghost 10 RE with an USB external HD. I have trouble if I plug in a USB flash drive before plugging in the external HD. Then the external HD won't show in the Ghost 10 RE.

So for me, points 3 and 4 don't apply. Aren't computers strange.

If you are a brave man I wonder what would happen if you cleared your [MountedDevices] entries and enabled legacy USB support. We have all tried this. Want to take a turn?

IP Logged

easytherm
N00b

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Switzerland

Reply #5 - Oct 25th, 2006 at 2:56am

Brian,

I think I'm a brave man, but I'm quite overbooked until friday. I'm interested to test that later.

Where can I find information, how to clear my[MountedDevices] entries?

Did you check at NIC_drivers@symantec.com ?

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #6 - Oct 25th, 2006 at 3:23am

easytherm,

No hurry. When you are ready. NightOwl discussed the reasons in the above link. Also..

http://www.goodells.net/multiboot/partsigs.htm ;  but not related to cloning. Method #2.

Quote:
Did you check at NIC_drivers@symantec.com ?

No. My typing is too slow.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print