Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Been fiddling with unattended XP installs.... (Read 3993 times)
MadtKrandle
Radmeister

Guess which one's the
Dummy.

Upstate NY

Been fiddling with unattended XP installs....
Oct 24th, 2006 at 10:33pm

Fiddling is definitely the word,

Sorry I've been away for so long...  I get lost sometimes and can't find my way back to reality/sanity.

Intrigued by unattended installations, I did some homework and tried comparing the process to restoring an image....  where they differ dramatically:

Unattended installations are less reliable than any image restoration process I've used in the past.  Granted I've been screwed by Ghost 9 and trying to restore from multiple spanned DVD's but recently helped a friend restore her more complex system with Ghost 9 and a BartPE bootable (compliments of you folks here) that I created and an image that I put on a seperate partition on her same hard drive.  She called me in a panic and told me what I had given her (since I couldn't remember-still in the experimental stages with BartPE and Ghost 9 then) and I told her to try it...  it worked beautifully for her.  So evidently it is more reliable to restore an image from something other than DVD (as Ghost 10 is now claiming that DVD is not reliable media).

But Unattended installations?  At the moment, trying to slim down your personal favorite programs and implement active switches, creating .cab files, implementing product ID keys and losing your ability to uninstall some of them is really frustrating....  however I must say the concept itself...  revolutionary.

I love the idea of a clean XP install.... who doesn't?  I can't say that I love having to reinstall my ever growing wealth of programs though... who does?

Just wondering if anyone has been fiddling with them or knows more than I do about the topic.  I love the idea, it still needs to be significantly refined if you ask me though.

I just scoured the whole freakin net and Google brought me back here!
IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Re: Been fiddling with unattended XP installs....
Reply #1 - Oct 24th, 2006 at 10:44pm

MadtKrandle

Have you seen this website--whole nother world out there...

Unattended Windows--Introduction

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

MadtKrandle
Radmeister

Guess which one's the
Dummy.

Upstate NY

Re: Been fiddling with unattended XP installs....
Reply #2 - Oct 25th, 2006 at 12:22am

No first time I've seen that one.  Very interesting resource consider it bookmarked.  Thanx.

I haven't completed anything revolutionary yet, but I have made four separate unattended installs that included all post SP2 hotfixes, tweaks, programs (being my main hang up is getting my software all on one DVD and working right), patches applied (even to an extracted winlogon.ex_.... pre burn status, don't ask) and some really other cool things as well including a WGA fix.

Credit is due to many others for these findings as I am merely a compulsive reader of previously discovered information and an amateur in every sense of the word.

It's so hard to cover all bases when you fly by the seat of your pants.

I just scoured the whole freakin net and Google brought me back here!
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print