Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
Windows as Secure as Linux (Read 63107 times)
MrMagoo
Übermensch

Resident Linux Guru

Phoenix, AZ (USA)

Re: Windows as Secure as Linux
Reply #30 - Jun 22nd, 2007 at 1:23pm

acosby wrote on Jun 22nd, 2007 at 9:57am:
For something like Windows, though, would a hacker really need all the source code?  That seems like it's overly-complex.  After all, Windows' goal was to use Jobs' GUI to make a user-friendly, and easily accessible system.  In doing that, it seems like they've laid a lot of security flaws out in the open.
It's not that hard to learn Registry functions, Bios tweaks, or (though it seems to be phasing out) Dos hacks for Windows.
No, you don't need the full source code, only detailed knowlege of how the program works, which you can get by decompliling it.

DOS and BIOS tweaks are not quite the type of hacking we are talking about.  We are talking more about the type of remote vulernability which might allow someone to gain full access to a computer they have no permissions on - like SQL injections or IIS buffer overflows.  The type of stuff you see in movies where someone can visit a website and end up taking over the server...

IP Logged

Pleonasm
Übermensch

Reply #31 - Jun 22nd, 2007 at 3:54pm

MrMagoo, note that the “days-of-risk” metric captures the duration of the risk, not whether the risk (vulnerability) actually materialized into a problem (exploit).  I believe you are arguing that more vulnerabilities become transformed into exploits for Windows than for Linux, despite the fact that there are more “days-of-risk” for the latter than the former.  The difficulty, however, is that data are in contradiction to such an assertion.  See the first post in this thread for evidence that regarding “OS vulnerabilities only, Unix, Linux, Mac OS X, and Windows all had about the same amount of exploits, with Windows actually being slightly lower.”

Taking “the opposing point of view with a grain of salt due to the limited insight available to someone who has no idea how Linux works” does not appear to be applicable to Jeff Jones, the researcher who authored the “days-of-risk” analysis.  His biography is impressive, and - as you will note - is clearly someone who has quite a bit of knowledge about how Linux works:

Quote:
Leaving Purdue in 1987, I immediately started working in security at the Computer Security Office of the Aerospace Corporation.  We did Air Force risk assessments, research projects and supported the Trusted Product Evaluation Program (now NIAP) with the NSA.  Nineteen years later, I've worked always in security, learning along the way at Trusted Information Systems (TIS, where I got my first experience with an Open Source product the FWTK).  While at TIS, I also got my first Linux experience when I worked from home on my P66 SLS Linux machine, building and maintaining everything myself.  ...  Since those good old days, I did kernel dev on Trusted Xenix, a lot of research and consulting, thousands of firewall stalls and eventually moved into product management at McAfee/NAI...
Source:  Jeff Jones Security Blog

I sincerely do not intend to be offensive, but your experience with Linux - whether good or bad - only represents a sample size of N=1.  It is not wise to extrapolate from your experience (or mine) to a more general conclusion about the security of Linux versus Windows.  Exploring this issue requires that one have visibility to a larger perspective.  I am confident you will agree that examining “days-of-risk” (or number of vulnerabilities/exploits) across operating systems over a period of years in a systematic manner is far more compelling and carries far more weight in a thoughtful investigation of the issue than the opinion of a single individual based upon her/his own limited experience.

Please do not interpret my comments negatively.  I am simply saying that well-founded and extensive research is much more meaningful than the opinion of any one person (including the opinion of me).  For example, “Mr. Smith” might be absolutely satisfied with his Ford vehicle, but that one experience does not change the truth of the assertion that Ford vehicles are of lower quality than those of Toyota, as demonstrated by independent marketplace research.

Is Linux more secure than Windows?  At the very least, the research referenced in this thread ought to cast considerable doubt on this commonly held perspective.  Time will, no doubt, clarify the case further.

Thank you for continuing to add your viewpoint into this thread.

Smiley

ple • o • nasm n. “The use of more words than are required to express an idea”

IP Logged

MrMagoo
Übermensch

Resident Linux Guru

Phoenix, AZ (USA)

Reply #32 - Jun 22nd, 2007 at 7:41pm

Pleonasm wrote on Jun 22nd, 2007 at 3:54pm:
MrMagoo, note that the “days-of-risk” metric captures the duration of the risk, not whether the risk (vulnerability) actually materialized into a problem (exploit).
Exactly my point.  Just because there is a vulnerability doesn't mean (as an article you reference stated) that millions of script kiddies can exploit it.Pleonasm wrote on Jun 22nd, 2007 at 3:54pm:
I believe you are arguing that more vulnerabilities become transformed into exploits for Windows than for Linux, despite the fact that there are more “days-of-risk” for the latter than the former.
Not at all.  I would venture to say almost all vulnerabilities eventually have exploits available.  What I'm saying is that a vulnerability could be discovered and patched before an exploit is created.  Many Windows vulnerabilities are discovered by hackers and exploits are written before the vulnerability is publicly known or exposed.  In contrast, Open Source OS vulnerabilities are often found by people auditing the source code, and are patched before an exploit is written. 

I am not discrediting Jeff Jones.  I trust his study.  My point is that it is not the whole picture.  My comments about taking people's opinion who haven't tried Linux with a grain of salt were directed toward you.  Just as you don't mean your comments negatively, I mean you no disrespect, but I do feel that you would have a better perspective on this discussion if you would try Linux for 30 days.  And you did not respond to my challenge.

IP Logged

runlevel
Ex Member

Reply #33 - Jun 22nd, 2007 at 9:49pm

@Pleonasm

IF your windows is just as secure or whatever you seem to believe.. then I challenge you to the following:

1) install a default Win XP Pro OR Home - No add-on software just a default install and hook it up to the network, do the EXACT same for linux, any distro, you have MULTITUDES of distro's to prove me wrong on.
2) leave both boxen directly connected UNFIREWALLED/UNVIRUS PROTECTED for 30 days.
3) Come back and lets see what box got owned first.
4) actually do it.
5) dont reply to me with some circle talk, just do it.

I on the other hand run the following:
- Arch Linux - Main Desktop
  Windows XP on another Small partition on my Main Desktop for gaming only.
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5 on the following:
  4 Identical 500mhz boxen running various services such as DNS(DDNS),DHCP,Sendmail,     LDAP and a few others.
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5 on my OPERATIONS BOX, runs my website via Apache 2.2 w/ssl, vsftpd w/ssl, master LDAP directory, and a few other services.
- OpenBSD thin client I put together running on a Mini-itx 800mhz board, installed on a 512mb CF Card (only uses 250mb, lets see windows do that), this system is my firewall, has 3 NIC's and filters my network and also connects my network to another network so we can be awsome at computers....together.
- 1 win2k3 box (does absolutely nothing at the moment cuz i can accomplish everything I need on my linux servers,tho it does seem to churn its HDD .... ALL THE TIME... wtf is it doing? ... )
- 1 WinXP Pro Laptop - Cuz i wanna game remotely somtimes, GAMING ONLY no web browsing.
- 1 Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5 Laptop: This is my Installation server/testing box for new services im studying. Runs DHCP, TFTP, and NFS for Remote PXE installation to my servers on demand. All i have to do is turn on a new box on the network.. and come back in 30 mins and login to the new box, windows can do that right?

and various other linux boxen.

The reason i listed those is:
1) my windows XP laptop for gaming... had to be reimaged.. now for the 4th time... in 1.5 months, this box is only used for C&C Generals... has Windows Firewall ON, and is used.. maybe MAYBE 2 times a week for a 1-2 Hour C&C Generals Gaming. How did this box get spyware/virus' ??? Why did it suddenly grind to a halt after only a little bit of use? It was running Arch Linux but after a year of not getting to game on it, i installed WinXP.

2) my Main Desktop' windows XP partition needs a re-install as well, though i admit.. i have surfed a site or two while waiting for my buddy to start C&C Generals up. WTF?

3) you get the point im making with the windows boxen.

4) ... this may come as a surprise to you, but, (everyone wait for it.. wait for it.... wait... ) I havnt had a single attack/virus/spyware/system malfunction.. on any.. ANY, of my linux boxen.. (of course im just lieing im sure.. :rolls eyes:   )  also i might add that im a bad linux admin, i dont run firewalls on any linux box except my OpenBSD FIREWALL box but thats kinda implied, no A/V, hell, i dont even set root passwd's half the time.. why? cuz who's gonna get in? , Oh and check this out.. can windows do this?

[root@opsbox ~]# uptime
13:43:25 up 53 days, 38 min,  2 users,  load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00

Thats when it completed its first boot after its PXE install ( obviously i cant prove this )
youll note that the load average is quite low, this is due to the following:

httpd running
vsftpd running
NFS mounts being used to share out my awsome "Friends" episodes Wink

I could go on.. but you probably stopped reading by now.. and if not.. ill remind you of the challenge that i foresee NOT happening:

1) install a default Win XP Pro OR Home - No add-on software just a default install and hook it up to the network, do the EXACT same for linux, any distro, you have MULTITUDES of distro's to prove me wrong on.
2) leave both boxen directly connected UNFIREWALLED/UNVIRUS PROTECTED for 30 days.
3) Come back and lets see what box got owned first.
4) actually do it.
5) dont reply to me with some circle talk, just do it.

DO IT!

init 0

IP Logged

Pleonasm
Übermensch

Reply #34 - Jun 23rd, 2007 at 3:54pm

MrMagoo, thank you for clarifying your point.  However, may I ask:  on what basis do you assert that "Many Windows vulnerabilities are discovered by hackers and exploits are written before the vulnerability is publicly known or exposed" whereas "Open Source OS vulnerabilities are often found by people auditing the source code, and are patched before an exploit is written"?  Is this your informal impression, or are there data to support the statement?

I do agree that Jeff Jones' study (or, in general, any one study) is not "the whole picture."  When seeking to understand a situation, it is helpful to try to obtain "convergent validity" – i.e., several sources and facts that collectively all point to the same conclusion.  That is what we are beginning to see here, and it is the reason why I do not believe it is prudent to forcefully argue that "Linux is more secure than Windows".  The hypothesis may, in fact, be true.  But, given the evidence on the table, it is – at the very minimum – quite questionable and far from completely certain.  To be specific, I would be much more comfortable if Linux users were just a bit more humble and asserted "Linux may be more secure than Windows - but the situation is not clear" rather than exhibiting an unjustified level of bravado, in my opinion.

On this point, MrMagoo, what probability (0 < p < 1) would you assign to the hypothesis that the statement "Linux is more secure than Windows" is true?  Would you say that the probability is 1.0?  or 0.9? …  or 0.5?

With respect to Linux, I do intend to try it – but am waiting until I purchase a better PC (probably latter in 2007 or early 2008) in order to run it in a virtual machine.  However, whether you or I like or dislike Linux really has no relevance to the discussion at hand, since the opinions from a sample size of N=2 (you and I) carries little weight as compared to thoughtful, well-executed industry research.  (In years past, I did use SCO Xenix quite a bit, by the way.)

Wink

IP Logged

MrMagoo
Übermensch

Resident Linux Guru

Phoenix, AZ (USA)

Reply #35 - Jun 23rd, 2007 at 6:27pm

Pleonasm wrote on Jun 23rd, 2007 at 3:54pm:
MrMagoo, thank you for clarifying your point.  However, may I ask:  on what basis do you assert that "Many Windows vulnerabilities are discovered by hackers and exploits are written before the vulnerability is publicly known or exposed" whereas "Open Source OS vulnerabilities are often found by people auditing the source code, and are patched before an exploit is written"?  Is this your informal impression, or are there data to support the statement?
That's really the only way Windows vulernabilities can be found.  MS only has so many people they can pay to work on security - and most of the stay busy *fixing* issues and don't have much time for looking for them.  No one else has access to the source code, so decompiling it is the only option.  Decompiling code is time intensive, so only people who have a LOT to gain by finding holes do it - and this mostly means industrial hackers, spyware writers, ect...

Pleonasm wrote on Jun 23rd, 2007 at 3:54pm:
With respect to Linux, I do intend to try it – but am waiting until I purchase a better PC (probably latter in 2007 or early 2008) in order to run it in a virtual machine.  However, whether you or I like or dislike Linux really has no relevance to the discussion at hand, since the opinions from a sample size of N=2 (you and I) carries little weight as compared to thoughtful, well-executed industry research.
I'm not saying anyone's opinion matters.  I'm saying without experience it is difficult to interpret and discuss the results of studies like this.  As far as any trend you think you are seeing, I could find just as much information contradictory to the studies you are posting as you have found supporting it.  It just depends on what you look for. 

I don't think assigning a number to the probability that Linux is more secure is nearly as scientific as it sounds.  My overall point is that I feel that the design of the OS and the control the administrator has in Linux makes it much more secure, and none of the studies you have shown here have had an impact on that.  There are things in windows (like administrative shares, where any Windows computer with Windows file sharing turned on shares the root of all hard drives - other Windows computers can't access those shares but Linux computers can read and write to your hole drive!...) that are major design flaws.  Linux is much more modular, and provides an administrator complete control over every line of code in the system.  Microsoft tries to decide what is best for every user and they can't get it right all the time.  Vista seems to be only an incremental improvement in security design, and I think only a major security philosophy change at MS will ever bring it up to the level that Linux is already at.

IP Logged

Pleonasm
Übermensch

Reply #36 - Jun 24th, 2007 at 9:37am

Quote:
I could find just as much information contradictory to the studies you are posting as you have found supporting it.

That is my point, MrMagoo.  The situation is quite murky and unclear, with evidence on both "sides" of the issue.  Under such circumstances, I fail to see how an intellectually honest person could boldly make the assertion that "Linux is more secure than Windows" (or, the reverse).  I think the more reasonable conclusion is that there exists significant doubt on whether or not Linux is more or less secure than Windows.

Since you offered, can you kindly post links to top three empirical studies you believe demonstrate a higher level of security for Linux as compared to Windows?

Quote:
I don't think assigning a number to the probability that Linux is more secure is nearly as scientific as it sounds.

My objective was simply to better understand how strongly you believe in your position that "Linux is more secure than Windows":  whether you consider this statement as "gospel truth," "urban legend" – or, something in between.

Quote:
That's really the only way Windows vulnerabilities can be found.  MS only has so many people they can pay to work on security - and most of the stay busy *fixing* issues and don't have much time for looking for them.

Actually, unless one of us has experience working in the software security department of Microsoft, I do not believe that either you or I could claim that Microsoft does not spend "much time" looking for vulnerabilities.  We don't know, and shouldn't say otherwise.  In contrast, we do know that the Linux kernel developers spend no time looking for vulnerabilities, as reported in Reply #23.  Personally, I find that quite troubling.

Quote:
I'm saying without experience it is difficult to interpret and discuss the results of studies like this.

I fail to see how one's familiarity with Linux helps or hinders the interpretation of Jeff Jones' research.  It's not complicated, it doesn't involve any "advanced statistics" beyond counting and basic arithmetic, and it is all based on publicly available data.

Quote:
My overall point is that I feel that the design of the OS and the control the administrator has in Linux makes it much more secure

This is like saying "I feel that the design of <insert your favorite vehicle name here> and the control the driver has in it makes it much more safe."  It is purely a subjective assessment.  I don't doubt that your viewpoint is based upon a thoughtful consideration, but you ought to realize that others may see the same situation quite differently.  For example, Windows file sharing is viewed by you as a security flaw; by others, it is viewed as very beneficial feature.  The fact that it can be misused, in my opinion, does reflect on the inherent security of Windows – rather, it highlights the fact that a user of any operating system has the responsibility to understand the consequences of their configuration decisions.

Wink

IP Logged

MrMagoo
Übermensch

Resident Linux Guru

Phoenix, AZ (USA)

Reply #37 - Jun 25th, 2007 at 12:40am

Pleonasm wrote on Jun 24th, 2007 at 9:37am:
In contrast, we do know that the Linux kernel developers spend no time looking for vulnerabilities, as reported in Reply #23.  Personally, I find that quite troubling.
No, the kernel developers don't spend much time looking for vulnerabilities, but since it is open source, many other people who are willing to volunteer their time to Linux can and do spend a significant amount of time on it.  This is how Linux has been built - by the community for the community.

Pleonasm wrote on Jun 24th, 2007 at 9:37am:
This is like saying "I feel that the design of <insert your favorite vehicle name here> and the control the driver has in it makes it much more safe."  It is purely a subjective assessment.
No, it is not a subjective assessment at all.  A better designed braking system (like ABS vs standard brakes, for example) and the option for the driver to choose several different steering modes (one for high speeds, one for traffic, etc.) could give a car an edge in safety.  It's the same with Linux.  The superior permissions system, along with the option to choose to disable or enable modules as you need them or as your security threat dictates gives Linux an edge in security.  There are services in Windows (such as the administrative shares I mentioned earlier) that cannot be disabled that either are security loopholes or could be at some time that cannot be disabled by the computer administrator. 

As far as providing the links to surveys you have requested, I have provided a few earlier in this thread.  Anyone who wants more could start with Google.  I don't think I could change your mind with a thousand links, and all of your links have been unsuccessful in changing mine.  I don't feel you and I going tit-for-tat with every survey we can find would be productive right now.  Instead, I encourage any reader of this thread who does have an open mind about this issue to do their own research, become throughly familiar with both OS's, and make their own well-informed decision.

IP Logged

Pleonasm
Übermensch

Reply #38 - Jun 25th, 2007 at 4:32pm

Quote:
A better designed braking system ... could give a car an edge in safety.  It's the same with Linux.

There is no argument that “better design = better product,” of course; the point you are raising is whether Linux has a better design than Windows.  That is an important question, but one that I hope you will admit is open to interpretation.  For example, some would say that a Toyota Camry has a better design than a Honda Accord; others, however, would say the opposite.  There is not a ‘right’ or ‘wrong’ perspective on “better design” - it is somewhat a case of “beauty is in the eye of the beholder,” so to speak, dependent upon the features/benefits that are of most importance to the person making the conclusion.

I understand that you personally believe that Linux has a better design than Windows, but you should understand that your assessment of the situation is not “gospel truth” - it simply represents your honest opinion of the situation, and others who are equally skilled with both operating systems could have an equally valid opinion favoring Windows.  In short, your assessment isn’t a statement of “truth,” but only of “truth” as you see the situation - and others can look at Linux and Windows and come to a different conclusion.  I am confident that you have enough intellectual curiosity and openness to agree.

Quote:
I don't think I could change your mind...

Actually, I have tried to indicate in several posts that my position on the issue is far from being solidified.  Based upon what I have read, I believe that Linux might be more secure than Windows (or the reverse?), but the situation is sufficiently unclear so as to make that statement quite questionable.  In contrast, I perceive that your position is closed:  namely, you have no doubt that Linux is more secure than Windows, divergent evidence not withstanding.  My hope is that you will subject your belief to the criticism of the alternative viewpoint, and allow for the possibility of changing your stance.  My experience is that, with regret, too many Linux users refuse to openly and honestly consider the other side of the equation, sadly and snuggly secure in a worldview from which they will never, never deviate for any reason.  I pray that I may never be so confident about my own judgments.

Quote:
As far as providing the links to surveys {that support the security advantages of Linux over Windows} you have requested...

Interestingly, I have assumed that empirical studies exist that support the hypothesis that Linux is more secure than Windows.  My search of the web, however, has so far failed to find any that specifically and empirically show that the user experience of Linux is more secure than that of Windows.

All the best,
Pleonasm
Smiley

IP Logged

Pleonasm
Übermensch

Reply #39 - Jun 26th, 2007 at 9:56am

A thoughtful, empirical and independent study from Purdue University says . . .

Quote:
Software selection is an important consideration in managing the information security function.  Open source software is touted by proponents as being robust to many of the security problems that seem to plague proprietary software.  This study empirically investigates specific security characteristics of open source and proprietary operating system software.  Software vulnerability data spanning several years are collected and analyzed to determine if significant differences exist in terms of inter-arrival times of published vulnerabilities, median time to release patches, type of vulnerability reported and respective severity of the vulnerabilities.  The results demonstrate that open source and proprietary operating system software are each likely to report similar vulnerabilities and that open source providers are only marginally quicker in releasing patches for problems identified in their software.  The arguments favoring the inherent security of open source software do not appear to hold up to such analysis.
Source:  Vulnerabilities and Patches of Open Source Software:  An Empirical Study

IP Logged

MrMagoo
Übermensch

Resident Linux Guru

Phoenix, AZ (USA)

Reply #40 - Jun 26th, 2007 at 2:30pm

Still interesting that the results of this study seem to be in conflict with your "Days of risk" study, with Purdue giving Open Source a slight advantage.  I'm impressed to see that they show Open Source with a slight advantage considering most Open Source devolpers are volunteers.

IP Logged

Pleonasm
Übermensch

Reply #41 - Jun 26th, 2007 at 5:07pm

Greetings, MrMagoo.  I too like the fact that the Purdue study demonstrates a slight advantage for open-source operating systems - it suggests that the authors are really being “fair.”  It is good to note, though, that the research found a “lack of statistical significance on several measures,” meaning that the observed advantage for open source is not reliably different than what one would expect on the basis of chance.

I wouldn’t use the Purdue study to argue that Windows is more secure than Linux (or the opposite), but it might cause a thoughtful reader to at least question the merit of adopting an unwavering “Linux is more secure than Windows” position.

IP Logged

Pleonasm
Übermensch

Reply #42 - Jun 27th, 2007 at 2:12pm

Red Hat Linux was just awarded a top United States government security rating in June, 2007, which is very impressive (see here).  It now appears that Linux has matched the security rating of Windows, which was earned earlier in December, 2005 (see here).

As a consequence, from the perspective of a United States government security rating, both operating systems are equally secure.

IP Logged

MrMagoo
Übermensch

Resident Linux Guru

Phoenix, AZ (USA)

Reply #43 - Jun 27th, 2007 at 4:13pm

Red Hat actually achieved the same EAL4 rating a long time ago.  What everyone is excited about is that this rating also included the Labeled Security Protection Profile.  From the article:

Linux had already been certified at the EAL4 level, but this is the first time that the operating system has received the Labeled Security Protection Profile (LSPP) certification, which relates to its access-control features.

SE Linux was developed by Red Hat for Linux by request of the NSA.  About 5 years ago, no operating system met their criteria for security and user permissions.  They approached Red Hat about the issue, and Red Hat developed SE Linux to meet the NSA's needs.  So, while Windows does have an EAL4 rating, Red Hat with SE Linux is the only thing the NSA will use for their own most sensitive systems. 

This is why whenever someone shows me a study about how Windows or some other operating system is better secured than Red Hat, my first questions is always "Was SE Linux turned on for the Red Hat systems studied?"  The answer is "no" about 10% of the time and "The study didn't mention that" the other 90%.  Its almost like me turning my Windows firewall off and then doing a study about how fast someone can hack into the machine.

IP Logged

Pleonasm
Übermensch

Reply #44 - Jun 27th, 2007 at 5:17pm

Very interesting, MrMagoo!  I do wonder, however, about the statement that “Red Hat with SE Linux is the only thing the NSA will use for their own most sensitive systems.”  How do you interpret the following from the NSA itself?

Quote:
Security-enhanced Linux is only intended to demonstrate mandatory controls in a modern operating system like Linux and thus is very unlikely by itself to meet any interesting definition of secure system.
Source:  http://www.nsa.gov/selinux/info/faq.cfm#I13

And . . .

Quote:
This is out of context, and yet another irresponsible post by a linux fan boy that just hurts the penguin's street cred.  As a contractor with many years experience working in and around the NSA, I can tell you for a certainty that the NSA maintains custom builds of many OS's - not just Linux.  And internally, Linux isn't perceived as any more secure than windows - just easier to create a custom build of a known secure configuration, and deploy it easily.  The NSA's primary server software, last time I checked (less than a year ago) was still Windows Advanced Server 2000, with a smattering of Windows DC Server.  Also, note that the NSA uses MS Exchange 2003 and SQL Server 2000 (I don't think these run on Linux, do they?) in their SI {Signals Intelligence - foreign adversaries' communications} division - I know, as I was part of the team that set them up.

Love the linux, but don't spread the word without the correct context; just because they're using a secure variant they came up with in their research area doesn't meant they're using it across the enterprise; and when they issued docs on securing Windows 2000 and started using it internally, it wasn't even news.  What does this tell you?

That when you secure an enterprise OS, no one is surprised. When you secure Linux, it's news.
Source:  http://digg.com/linux_unix/NSA_chooses_Linux

Let’s continue the conversation . . .

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print