Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
ng2003_en7xx.x86 update files (Read 3779 times)
Anthony
Ex Member

ng2003_en7xx.x86 update files
Oct 30th, 2006 at 11:21am

SadI am a new member, I came across the forum because I have had to re-install my pc and re-install ghost 2003.  Unfortunately symantec seem to have taken the updates for ghost 2003 off their live update and I note from doing a search that there used to be files that could be downloaded to keep that would give you the updates to keep, but the two update files for ghost 2003 build 789 and 793 have gone.

I can't see, I have to use a screen reader, what I liked about ghost 2003 was I could make a boot disk in windows with the appropriate parameters so if my pc did not start all I had to do is put the backup dvd in the drive and everything was automatically restored to the point where I have a working system with speech with no interaction on my part.  The newer versions of ghost all require some interaction with a user interface to tell ghost 9 or 10 what to do and because there is no speech at this point they are totally useless.

I know I can still use ghost from the origional cd but I would like the updates so I can use the latest version of the ghost software and hopefully extend the life and hardware compatibility of ghost 2003.  

p.s. if this post is too long or in the wrong place I apologise.

Many thanks
Anthony

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Re: ng2003_en7xx.x86 update files
Reply #1 - Oct 30th, 2006 at 8:35pm

Quote:
"... I have had to re-install my pc and re-install ghost 2003..."

Check your Private Messages.

EP
Cry

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Reply #2 - Oct 31st, 2006 at 8:13pm

Quote:
"... I would like the updates so I can use the latest version of the ghost software and hopefully extend the life and hardware compatibility of ghost 2003..."

One alternative to consider is acquiring a retail boxed copy of Norton Ghost 10.0 (CLICK HERE to view explanation of the legacy Norton Ghost 2003 CD being included as "lagniappe"!).  Not only will you have the latest release of Ver 2003, you can simply boot from the Ghost 10 installation CD itself into a Windows XP Preinstalled Environment.  Then, immediately engage the legacy Backup/Restore or Clone "cold-imaging" procedures by following the path
'Recover > Recover Data on My Computer > Recover using a legacy Ghost image'
with the side benefit of bypassing both USB mass-storage device and SATA HDD glitches frequently encountered with DOS-dependent Ghost 2003.  In essence, this procedure uses
restoreghost.exe
(an alternate name for
ghost32.exe
) to allow either cloning or the immediate creation of legacy Norton Ghost Backup images concomitant with Recovery of such images that are in fact totally compatible and interchangeable with those *.gho/*.ghs files created with the
ghost.exe
of Norton Ghost 2003 -
but not with those created with Ghost 9, Ghost 10.0, or Norton Save & Restore during "hot-imaging".

As long as you do not go over to the "dark side" to dabble in the "hot-imaging" technology of Norton Ghost 10 (a derivative of PowerQuest Drive Image 7.n), there is neither need nor requirement IMHO to use the 25-character Product Key to register the Ghost 10 product.  CLICK HERE to view my preferred - but admittedly convoluted - "path-less-traveled" of using
ghost32.exe
on a BartPE-XPE (reatogo edition) CD to generate Ver 2003-compatible files
independent of DOS

EP
Cry

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Reply #3 - Nov 1st, 2006 at 10:39am

Quote:
"... I know I can still use ghost from the origional cd but I would like the updates so I can use the latest version of the ghost software and hopefully extend the life and hardware compatibility of ghost 2003..."

Check your Private Messages

EP
Cry

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Reply #4 - Nov 2nd, 2006 at 9:17pm

Quote:
"... I would like the updates so I can use the latest version of the ghost software and hopefully extend the life and hardware compatibility of ghost 2003..."

Beginning in roughly a fortnight, keep a daily watch on your "Snail-Mail" (the postal clerk declared the CD a LETTER rather than a PARCEL, which fortuitously reduced the fee about 85%!)Grin

EP
Cry

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print