Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 6
Send Topic Print
Multiple Backups on same HDD (Read 80049 times)
Evereti
Gnarly

Ghost Wrangler

Re: Multiple Backups on same HDD
Reply #15 - Nov 4th, 2006 at 12:57pm

Hi Guys

Two probs.

Reatogo Angry

Installed, did the checklist, cut a CD, fired it up (really slow), and get Internet but no network.  Workgroup Name is set to NONE.  Went into Reatogo builder and see Bootprofiles has Workgroup as NONE, change to MSHOME and save.  Run through settings and it still picks up NONE and undoes my change.

I'm stuck on this one...... ???

Ghost 2003

I have a generic USB caddy with a preloved Fujitsu hard drive in it. Works great for files, Pics, Music, but will Ghost 2003 put an image on there?.....no way.
It seems to find the drive identity OK and assigns "E" then sits and flashes for a while, and then bombs out with "Can't find a device withh that address..etc etc". I have tried it from Windows and from Standard Boot Disk. What is the secret to USB HDD, or is just my dodgy old caddy and drive that Ghost doesn't like.

Cheers Embarrassed

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Reply #16 - Nov 4th, 2006 at 5:44pm

Evereti wrote on Nov 4th, 2006 at 12:57pm:
"... Ghost 2003:  I have a generic USB caddy with a preloved Fujitsu hard drive in it... It seems to find the drive identity OK and assigns "E" then sits and flashes for a while, and then bombs out with "Can't find a device withh that address..etc etc". I have tried it from Windows...

I strongly suspect your USB caddy HDD setup is incompatible with the stock Norton/Iomega USB drivers of Norton Ghost 2003.  CLICK HERE to view using Night Owl's Panasonic Universal USB Driver routine adapted to booting Norton Ghost 2003 from the Windows XP GUI (for booting Ghost 2003 from floppies, click on the URL at the start of the initial post).

EP
Cry

IP Logged

Evereti
Gnarly

Ghost Wrangler

Reply #17 - Nov 4th, 2006 at 7:10pm

Hi El P

Good plan...fell at second fence.

Downloaded and found necessary files, but could not pick MS-DOS.  Tried "Get MS-DOS files", asked me to have a win 95 or 98 formatted disk in drive A..............don't have any of those around any more.

Where would I find the necessary MSDOS files for Ghost to pick?

Thanks Grin

IP Logged

Evereti
Gnarly

Ghost Wrangler

Reply #18 - Nov 4th, 2006 at 7:17pm

Forget last message....dug around and found an ancient win 98SE start up disk which seems to have done the trick....now back to the project....
Cheers

IP Logged

Evereti
Gnarly

Ghost Wrangler

Reply #19 - Nov 4th, 2006 at 7:29pm

OOPS

Me again....thought I had sorted it....buut the MSDOS files from the win98boot disk  made it boot into win 98....funny that....thought I'd seen the last of that boot screen.

So I guess I will remove them and still need to find the correct MSDOS files from somewhere.

Cheers  Embarrassed

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #20 - Nov 4th, 2006 at 10:56pm

Evereti wrote on Nov 4th, 2006 at 12:57pm:
Reatogo
Installed, did the checklist, cut a CD, fired it up (really slow), and get Internet but no network.  Workgroup Name is set to NONE. 

Same here. When you run "Configure my Defaults" it should pick up your Workgroup Name, but it doesn't. I've written to the Reatogo Forum.

Normal startup time for the CD is 4 to 5 minutes.

I ran the "Set up a Home & Office Network" wizard and there were several errors and a "Can't complete.." at the end but my Workgroup name was then present. You can browse your network computers but you can't connect to a computer or Map a Network drive unless you have run winpe-xpsp2-fix.reg on the destination computer. This is in the AUTOHELP folder.

Naturally you would have to run the wizard each time you used the CD. But the Workgroup was created correctly on previous Reatogo versions so we should be able to sort it out.

IP Logged

Evereti
Gnarly

Ghost Wrangler

Reply #21 - Nov 5th, 2006 at 12:33am

Thanks Brian

Looking forward to a fix.

PS.  I still use NG2k3 and have been struggling with getting the NIghtOwl floppy together.  Are you aware of how Ghost 9.0 handles USB Hard Drives?  Is it any better than 2003??

Cheers Grin

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #22 - Nov 5th, 2006 at 1:13am

Ghost 9 has no problems with USB hard drives.

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Reply #23 - Nov 5th, 2006 at 1:11pm

Evereti wrote on Nov 4th, 2006 at 7:29pm:
"... OOPS..."

As I recall, you need only to contribute the MS-DOS files from the WIN 98SE diskette to your Norton Ghost 2003 setup one time and it is captured for all future operations -
but it is a good idea to specify such in the Options dropdown while in Windows
.  And yes, you will see the WIN 98SE Splash screen leading up to Ghost operations.

EP
Cry

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #24 - Nov 5th, 2006 at 2:44pm

Evereti wrote on Nov 5th, 2006 at 12:33am:
Looking forward to a fix.

http://www.911cd.net/forums//index.php?showtopic=18815

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #25 - Nov 5th, 2006 at 7:42pm

Evereti

Quote:
Is it possible to create a series of backups on one HDD......father, grandfather, you know...!  Delete the oldest after a new one etc. AND still use the drive for other stuff

I do this all the time!  My second HDD is partitioned first as an extended partition for the whole drive, then the first *logical drive* is my *Swap* file partition, the second partition is for all the Windows *Temp* files, and the third partition is my *Bkup* partition where I place my Ghost image files. 

I use a new sub-directory for each new image--using a two digit month and day for the sub-directory name--so today would be *1105*--and then the Ghost file name is also that same two digit month and day. 

But, I have also place Utility programs in their own sub-directories (if it's a DOS accessible file system--i.e. FAT32) such as PartitionMagic, MasterBoot Wizard, etc., so I can access those if I need to in an emergency.

I delete the whole sub-directory when an image file is outdated to make room for the next most recent Ghost image.  Have never had a problem.

Quote:
I tried this once with a USB external enclosure, managed one backup but Ghost would not use the drive once other stuff was on there.

I've done the same with an external USB HDD as I have done above for my second internal HDD--again no problems with multiple uses and files of different flavors sharing with the Ghost sub-directories!

Quote:
buut the MSDOS files from the win98boot disk  made it boot into win 98....

When using the MS-DOS boot files from the Win98se boot disk on a floppy drive--it says *Loading Win98...* when it first reads the floppy disk, but it is just booting to the DOS A:\ prompt--or it will start Ghost in DOS if it's the Ghost boot disk--you don't really get Win98 loaded up!

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

Evereti
Gnarly

Ghost Wrangler

Reply #26 - Nov 5th, 2006 at 9:02pm

Hi Brian

Redid a CD with the workgroup specified in the .ini and Reatogo now looks for the correct name but still doesn.t find my networked PCs.
Old BartPE CD can find other PCs on network OK.

Also, "Network connections" never shows anything, and browser is really reallly slow, and goes into "not responding" ans task manager can't kill it.  Tried running network wizard and it just never appeared.

Maybe I missed something when I went through autohelp...on the networking plugin area??

Ghost 9.0 is coming via snail mail courtesy ebay.

Cheers ???

IP Logged

Evereti
Gnarly

Ghost Wrangler

Reply #27 - Nov 5th, 2006 at 9:06pm

Hi Nightowl

The MSDOS files from the 98SE startup disk cause PC to display 98SE flash screen and sticks right there, never goes on to Ghost.

My father in law has a 98SE machine so I will format a floppy with the system files on that and then feed that to NG2k3 and see how we go from there.

Cheers Tongue

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #28 - Nov 5th, 2006 at 9:18pm

Evereti wrote on Nov 5th, 2006 at 9:02pm:
Redid a CD with the workgroup specified in the .ini and Reatogo now looks for the correct name but still doesn.t find my networked PCs.
Also, "Network connections" never shows anything,

Ghost 9.0 is coming via snail mail courtesy ebay.

Did you run "Create Driver plugins" during the build and get drivers for your NIC? Can you see the NIC in Device Manager? Did you run winpe-xpsp2-fix.reg on the destination computers. Without this fix you can see your other computers but you can't browse them.

I was using My Network Places\Entire Network\Microsoft Windows Network\"My Workgroup"

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #29 - Nov 5th, 2006 at 9:55pm

Evereti,

In case you missed this, :\REATOGO-240\plugin\AUTOHELP is the folder to open and run autoHelp.exe.

"Everything" can be accessed from this file.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 6
Send Topic Print