Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Send Topic Print
Multiple Backups on same HDD (Read 80061 times)
Evereti
Gnarly

Ghost Wrangler

Re: Multiple Backups on same HDD
Reply #30 - Nov 5th, 2006 at 10:27pm

Hi Brian

I think I detected NICs but did not click create....done that now and cut new CD...will test later.

Is Reatogo machine specific?  ie if I take this CD and plug it into another PC will it have NIC problems? 

Also how do I run through the plugin picking routine again, I think I picked "Manual Network Services Start" or something like that and might want to unpick it.

Cheers

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #31 - Nov 5th, 2006 at 10:47pm

Quote:
Is Reatogo machine specific?  ie if I take this CD and plug it into another PC will it have NIC problems?   

It should work in all but very old computers. I have a P3 450. Reatogo 235 boots but 240 doesn't. You can "harvest" NIC driver plugins from other computers and put them in :\REATOGO-240\plugin\DRIVERS_AutoHelp. I used to do it with 235 but haven't thought how to do it with 240 yet.

Did you get the Net Driver Pack plugin? This should cover all NIC driver issues and you shouldn't have to manually harvest drivers. It should have covered your earlier situation .

Quote:
think I picked "Manual Network Services Start" or something like that and might want to unpick it.

I can't recall that one. Redo the whole setup from scratch if you are concerned.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #32 - Nov 5th, 2006 at 11:01pm

To harvest drivers, use this folder. :\REATOGO-240\plugin\AUTOHELP\Files\autoDriver

Copy the folder onto a flash drive (or floppy) and run autoDriver.exe while plugged into your target computer.

IP Logged

Evereti
Gnarly

Ghost Wrangler

Reply #33 - Nov 6th, 2006 at 4:28am

Hi Nightowl

I am going crosseyed trying to make this work.  It seemed to be stopping on the 98SE flash screen, but a quick esc key uncovered that it was just stuck before it got to Ghost.

I used F8 to get it to step through each stage and eventually discovered that it was the HIMEM.SYS that was stopping it.  I used any old HIMEM.SYS that I found lying around my XP system....do I need a special HIMEM?

Anyway, I removed this file and statement and tried again, went a bit further and looked for USB devices, then complained about lack of High Memory..use low instead, I think it said........then it fired up Ghost but stuck on blank gray panel with nothing but a pointer, and locked......big red switch needed to get system back.

Any ideas?
Cheers
Evereti Grin

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #34 - Nov 6th, 2006 at 9:34am

Evereti

Quote:
Anyway, I removed this file and statement and tried again, went a bit further and looked for USB devices, then complained about lack of High Memory..use low instead, I think it said........then it fired up Ghost but stuck on blank gray panel with nothing but a pointer, and locked......

Might post your list of boot files, and a copy of [autoexec.bat] and [config.sys] so we can see what's going on.

What command line is causing the above error message to occur?

But, I suspect the problem is elsewhere. 

Does this happen only when you are trying to hook up your USB HDD with the enclosure you mentioned earlier?

Does everything boot fine with the same files when the USB HDD is not connected?

Quote:
I used any old HIMEM.SYS that I found lying around my XP system....do I need a special HIMEM?

There appears to be more than one *himem.sys* version available!

If you have the installation Ghost 2003 CD, I found it in this *cab* file:  *X:\Install\Data.Cab*.  The file name is:  *F784_HIMEM.SYS.A0EE8843_6A6D_4EAE_931B_F412EEDDF228*.  Extract it and rename to *himem.sys* and it should be good to go!

If you have Ghost 2003 installed, *himem.sys* that is referenced above is found here:  *C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Symantec\Ghost\Template\common*

And if you have a Win98 emergency boot disk, a different version is available from the floppy disk!

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

Evereti
Gnarly

Ghost Wrangler

Reply #35 - Nov 6th, 2006 at 3:45pm

Hi Nightowl

My Ghost seems to be in a different folder to the one you suggest (c:\Program Files\Symantec\Norton Ghost) so I have put these required files in there.
Anyway, I found the HIMEM on the Ghost CD Grin, and copied it into the Ghost user files option.
Now when I run Ghost it zips through starts Ghost but sticks on the blank grey Ghost screen.  If I use F8 and step through I get the following:

All command work OK (inc HIMEM),

Panasonic drivers load and search for USB devices, then

ASPI driver ver 2.0
ID 0 = HD ..  Fujitsu MPG3204AT E
#1 : LOGICAL  0mb Drive = D

Then later

IOMEGA GUEST DRIVER v8.5
Finding a drive letter
No drive letter added.

Then mouse etc instals

then

CD \GHOST
GHWRAP.EXE

Previous operation failed returning to windows etc etc etc. Angry

------------

As for Boot files, autoexec.bat, and config.sys.  These are places a not so techo like me never goes...in fact my system seems to be doing a good job of hiding them...even if I ask to view hidden and system files.......???

My dumb question for the day...if I have em where do I find em.

Cheers ???

IP Logged

Evereti
Gnarly

Ghost Wrangler

Reply #36 - Nov 6th, 2006 at 4:49pm

Me again Nightowl.

Might have answered my own dumb question.  had a serious word with XP and it finally showed me the files.
I found the Symantec common folder and moved the files into there but the result was exactly the same.

In root of C, I found a boot file:
--------------------------
[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn
------------------------

Also found Autoexec.bat and Config.sys which both have zero bytes and appear empty??

Also found a Autoexec (NT File) in System32:

----------------------------
@echo off

REM AUTOEXEC.BAT is not used to initialize the MS-DOS environment.
REM AUTOEXEC.NT is used to initialize the MS-DOS environment unless a
REM different startup file is specified in an application's PIF.

REM Install CD ROM extensions
lh %SystemRoot%\system32\mscdexnt.exe

REM Install network redirector (load before dosx.exe)
lh %SystemRoot%\system32\redir

REM Install DPMI support
lh %SystemRoot%\system32\dosx

REM The following line enables Sound Blaster 2.0 support on NTVDM.
REM The command for setting the BLASTER environment is as follows:
REM    SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 P330
REM    where:
REM        A    specifies the sound blaster's base I/O port
REM        I    specifies the interrupt request line
REM        D    specifies the 8-bit DMA channel
REM        P    specifies the MPU-401 base I/O port
REM        T    specifies the type of sound blaster card
REM                 1 - Sound Blaster 1.5
REM                 2 - Sound Blaster Pro I
REM                 3 - Sound Blaster 2.0
REM                 4 - Sound Blaster Pro II
REM                 6 - SOund Blaster 16/AWE 32/32/64
REM
REM    The default value is A220 I5 D1 T3 and P330.  If any of the switches is
REM    left unspecified, the default value will be used. (NOTE, since all the
REM    ports are virtualized, the information provided here does not have to
REM    match the real hardware setting.)  NTVDM supports Sound Blaster 2.0 only.
REM    The T switch must be set to 3, if specified.
SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 P330 T3

REM To disable the sound blaster 2.0 support on NTVDM, specify an invalid
REM SB base I/O port address.  For example:
REM    SET BLASTER=A0

------------------------------------------

Cheers Embarrassed

IP Logged

Evereti
Gnarly

Ghost Wrangler

Reply #37 - Nov 6th, 2006 at 6:04pm

Hi Nightowl

Me Again again

I had a thought.....maybe the drivers don't like PCI USB Controllers. Shocked Shocked

Plugged USB HDD into native 1.1 port and removed the /E from the usbaspi command, and bingo Ghost fires up and starts to write the image. Grin

Only problem is that its really slow, estimated it would take almost two hours to write 7.7gb, so killed process, it would be quicker to DVD.

As only one of my PCs has native USB 2.0, I think I cannot use this process, and should stick to DVDs, or wait for my copy of Ghost 9.0 to arrive and see how it handles PCI controllers.

That's it for now.  Off to the Pub to watch the Melbourne Cup...a big horse race which stops Australia for a couple of hours...first Tuesday in November every year.....only time I have a wee bet...

Cheers Grin

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #38 - Nov 6th, 2006 at 10:10pm

Evereti

Hope your favorite horse won!

Back in your post #35, you state that you are loading the Panasonic USB DOS driver:

Quote:
Panasonic drivers load and search for USB devices,

and then you say:

Quote:
IOMEGA GUEST DRIVER v8.5

Something's not *right*--there should be *No* Iomega *Guest* driver loading when using the Panasonic USB DOS driver--those will be two conflicting DOS USB drivers.

And then you state:

Quote:
CD \GHOST
GHWRAP.EXE

I have no idea what boot disk you are using--this certainly is not the boot disk I outlined here:  
A Better USB 2.0 DOS Driver for Ghost + More!
, for the Panasonic DOS USB driver!

Quote:
As for Boot files, autoexec.bat, and config.sys.  These are places a not so techo like me never goes...

...if I have em where do I find em.

The *autoexec.bat* and *config.sys* files you found were the ones in the main root directory (C:\) of your main HDD--the ones you need to post here are the ones on the boot floppy that you are using to boot your system to DOS.

Or, are you attempting to use El_Pescador's method of running  Ghost from Windows to load the Panasonic USB DOS drivers?

Yes!--it looks like that's what you are doing!  I've never used that method,  as I prefer to create boot floppy's or bootable optical discs rather than using the Windows Ghost interface--which also requires using the Ghost *virtual partition*--which I can not do with my normal setup because I use all 4 of my primary partition table slots for partitions so I can *multi-boot* using the method of switching which primary partition is active and not hidden--so I don't leave one slot unused so Ghost can run from Windows--it needs an open primary slot in the partition table to do that!

I see now that *Iomega's Guest* driver is being loaded because El_Pescador has put a *check* in the option *Assign drive letters*--that would cause that driver to be loaded!

(El_Pescador--if you see this--question--is loading that driver necessary?--Seems like that would be a competing DOS driver with the Mhairudo's DOS driver (di1000dd.sys) which is for assigning drive letters for external HDD's when using the Panasonic DOS USB drivers that mount the USB external HDD's?  Did you find that you need to also load the Ghost DOS driver *guest* for your setup to work?)

If you want to see what lines are being loaded in the boot files when using the Ghost Windows interface (i.e. *autoexec.bat* and *config.sys*), when creating the setup to run the procedure, the last screen before you tell the Wizard to run the procedure, you get a *summary screen* showing what Ghost is about to do.  It lists the *autoexec.bat* and *config.sys* files that it will run when it boots to DOS and Ghost's *virtual partition* to run that procedure.  Unfortunately, Ghost does not allow you to highlight and select text in that summary screen so one can copy and paste the information elsewhere!

Quote:
I had a thought.....maybe the drivers don't like PCI USB Controllers.

I have only native USB 1.1 on my system--I have added a PCI USB 2.0 controller card--Panasonic USB DOS drivers have worked flawlessly--but, I'm sure they do not work with every USB hardware component that's out there!

Quote:
As only one of my PCs has native USB 2.0, I think I cannot use this process, and should stick to DVDs, or wait for my copy of Ghost 9.0 to arrive and see how it handles PCI controllers.

USB 1.x will be the slowest method for Ghost 2003, then optical media, then Firewire, then USB 2.0, and then internal HDD which will be the fastest Ghost method.

Do you have floppy drives to work with--sometimes booting from a floppy boot disk with the correct drivers can solve problems that occur when trying to use the Windows Ghost interface.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

Evereti
Gnarly

Ghost Wrangler

Reply #39 - Nov 6th, 2006 at 11:28pm

Hi Guys

All I see in on the last screen before execution is the info that we added as part of the procedure, ie User files, etc. Nothing about which Autoexec etc.

I will now try the procedure on my PC with native 2.0.

My horse came last.....its been that kind of week already.

Cheers Grin

IP Logged

Evereti
Gnarly

Ghost Wrangler

Reply #40 - Nov 7th, 2006 at 1:24am

Hi El P and Nightowl

I have now tried the windows based procedure on my newest PC (native usb 2.0) and I was very careful to put in all the commands correctly.....IT DIED....a GPF....haven't had one of them for a while.

I now give up...its too scary when it bahaves so differently on two machines.

Nightowl

I would like to try to build a Panasonic boot floppy and have assembled the files on a floppy as per instructions, however, I don't use Partition Magic, don't have partitioned drives.
If I put Ghost.exe on the root of the USB drive (drive E), how do I change the autoexec.bat so that the floppy finds and starts Ghost?  This would also be better if the C drive gets nuked.

Cheers 8)

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Reply #41 - Nov 7th, 2006 at 2:29pm

NightOwl wrote on Nov 6th, 2006 at 10:10pm:
"...
Or, are you attempting to use El_Pescador's method of running  Ghost from Windows to load the Panasonic USB DOS drivers?
... I see now that *Iomega's Guest* driver is being loaded because El_Pescador has put a *check* in the option *Assign drive letters*--that would cause that driver to be loaded!...
(El_Pescador--if you see this--question--is loading that driver necessary?--Seems like that would be a competing DOS driver with the Mhairudo's DOS driver (di1000dd.sys) which is for assigning drive letters for external HDD's when using the Panasonic DOS USB drivers that mount the USB external HDD's?  Did you find that you need to also load the Ghost DOS driver *guest* for your setup to work?)
..."

A Better USB 2.0 DOS Driver for Ghost + More!

On September 17, 2004, Night Owl used the subject title up top (source at URL above) when introducing his novel MS-DOS based Panasonic Universal USB Driver routine.  Modifying boot disks generated with the Norton Ghost Boot Wizard, he introduced to these forum boards a method to overcome the shortcomings of various USB 2.0 devices and thus enable them to function in the DOS-based Ghost mode.  (To gather both of the requisite drivers for assembling NightOwl's routine, first CLICK HERE to download the usb-dos.zip file from Radified Binaries and extract only di1000dd.sys which is deeply nested within the MHAIRUDO.ZIP file; then next,
CLICK HERE
to download f2h_usb.exe and extract Usbaspi.sys - v2.20.)

Based on his research and trials, I believe that I have been able to take the essence of his ideas and extend them to where Ghost 2003 users can now use these same USB 2.0 devices in the XP-based mode of Windows.  So far, it appears that I have successfully managed to embed Night Owl's routine in the
User Files
of
Ghost Options
, i.e., they seem to work transparently in the Ghost Windows XP mode as well as the native Norton/Iomega PC-DOS driver set-up.

Click on 'Options'  as indicated above and then select 'Norton Ghost' .

Click on 'DOS type' and select 'MS-DOS' as indicated above.

Click on 'External storage driver settings' and select 'No USB drivers', but do check 'Assign drive letters' as indicated above.

Beforehand, open up the ...\common\... subfolder in the path outlined in blue above and copy the target '*.sys' files therein.  After entering Ghost 2003 later on, click on the 'Add files...' button to add the indicated '*.sys' items as 'Additional files' - the process itself will ensure the paths are indeed accurate.

The 'CONFIG.SYS additions' are self-explanatory, but stress is placed on the 'COMMON' statement being included exactly 'as-is', i.e., [COMMON] - not (COMMON).

Neither *guest.exe* nor *aspiehci.sys* are present - nor invoked as far as I can tell - in the *config.sys* illustated above nor in the steps leading to it.  I surmise that it takes a synergistic combination of positively responding to the drive letter assignment option while simultaneously calling for USB drivers - which is certainly not the case above, i.e., by not calling for USB drivers, a solicitation of *guest.exe* is nullified.

EP
Cry

IP Logged

Evereti
Gnarly

Ghost Wrangler

Reply #42 - Nov 7th, 2006 at 7:41pm

Hi Nightowl

I have tried fiddling with the path statement (with no knowledge) and booting the floppy but no joy...it says Starting Windows 98 (cos I used win98 to get MSDOS files?).....then it reads floppy a bit......instals mouse driver and says bad command to the ghost command....and sits on the A: command line.

It never ran through the loading of Panasonic drivers etc.

I guess I need a correct path command to point it at the config.sys and the USB drive (E?) where I put Ghost.exe.   I need it to go straight to ghost as command lines and me are not good friends..... Embarrassed

My MSDOS.SYS shows 0k and looks empty...is that normal?

Cheers
Evereti Grin

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Reply #43 - Nov 7th, 2006 at 8:02pm

Evereti wrote on Nov 7th, 2006 at 7:41pm:
"... I need it to go straight to ghost as command lines and me are not good friends..... Embarrassed ..."

If you live in the USA or Western Europe, feel free to send me your "snail-mail" address via
Private Message
so that I can send you
gratis
a functional set of 3.5-inch bootable floppies with the Panasonic drivers onboard:Smiley

EP
Cry

IP Logged

Evereti
Gnarly

Ghost Wrangler

Reply #44 - Nov 7th, 2006 at 9:01pm

hello El P

I live in Australia about 250k up the coast from Brian.

You say you have a "set" of floppies...? I thought it was one?
What is in a "set"...... Tongue

Cheers Grin

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Send Topic Print