Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 6
Send Topic Print
Multiple Backups on same HDD (Read 80057 times)
Evereti
Gnarly

Ghost Wrangler

Multiple Backups on same HDD
Oct 30th, 2006 at 10:17pm

Hi
I am a big fan/user of Ghost 2003 using internal and external (Iomega USB) Cd and DVD burners.....all excellent, no problems.  Saved my life twice now....!

Is it possible to create a series of backups on one HDD......father, grandfather, you know...!  Delete the oldest after a new one etc. AND still use the drive for other stuff Tongue

I tried this once with a USB external enclosure, managed one backup but Ghost would not use the drive once other stuff was on there.  Is this just a function of the dodgy USB bridge and it will be OK if I have a totally internal HDD??

Thanks

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Re: Multiple Backups on same HDD
Reply #1 - Oct 30th, 2006 at 10:32pm

Evereti wrote on Oct 30th, 2006 at 10:17pm:
"... Is it possible to create a series of backups on one HDD..."

My preferred approach is to have both an internal physical (as opposed to logical) MASTER HDD and an internal physical SLAVE HDD -
PLUS
an external HDD of some sort.  I employ a fixed set of alternating titles (such as odd/even, hot/cold, black/white, positive/negative) in maintaining constantly-progressing "disk-to-image" legacy Norton Ghost Backup images.  As a failsafe measure, I use Norton Utilities WipeInfo to obliterate the trailing *.ghs segments beforehand because misdated segments with like names have survived the overwriting process on occasion.  

As time has gone by, I have become increasingly dubious about using optical drives for system backup purposes.

EP
Cry

IP Logged

Evereti
Gnarly

Ghost Wrangler

Reply #2 - Oct 30th, 2006 at 10:45pm

Hi EP

Understand your preference for magnetic rather than optical but I seem to have been OK so far, its just that my systems are getting a wee bit big for lots of disks, hence my question about multiple copies and sharing with other apps on one "slave" internal hdd.

Cheers Grin
Ian

IP Logged

Pleonasm
Übermensch

Reply #3 - Oct 31st, 2006 at 8:52am

Evereti, it is not an “either/or” situation.  You could, for example, choose to keep a set of backup images on an internal hard disk drive, and also choose to burn all (or some) of them to DVD discs.

That is basically the approach I have adopted.  I use Ghost 10 to automatically maintain the most recent set of six weekly independent recovery points (aka “images”) on an internal slave hard disk drive, but about every two weeks I burn a recovery point to DVD media (using RecordNow) which I then retain for about six months.  In this way, a good history of the PC is maintained.  You ought to be able to do the same with Ghost 2003, if you wish, although with more manual effort.

ple • o • nasm n. “The use of more words than are required to express an idea”

IP Logged

Evereti
Gnarly

Ghost Wrangler

Reply #4 - Oct 31st, 2006 at 6:52pm

Hi Pleo

Thanks for that, do you have other files on the slave drive? ie will Ghost 10 share a drive?  If I had a large (320gb) slave, it would seem a shame to only use it for Ghost.... Angry

Cheers
Evereti

IP Logged

Pleonasm
Übermensch

Reply #5 - Nov 1st, 2006 at 9:56am

Evereti, yes – Ghost 10 will happily “share” a drive.  As a default storage location, I use “G:\Ghost” where “G” is the secondary (slave) hard disk drive.  I use the same drive to also hold other non-Ghost files, too.

IP Logged

Evereti
Gnarly

Ghost Wrangler

Reply #6 - Nov 1st, 2006 at 2:12pm

Thanks Pleonasm

I'll give it a try with NG2003.

My next challenge will be to backup to the same slave drive from my other 2 PCs on my wee network.

Even if I had BartPE, I suspect that NG 2003 will not work as it drops to DOS and would lose sight of the network...??  Might have to go to windows Ghost....

Cheers

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Reply #7 - Nov 1st, 2006 at 2:33pm

Evereti wrote on Nov 1st, 2006 at 2:12pm:
"... Even if I had BartPE, I suspect that NG 2003 will not work as it drops to DOS and would lose sight of the network..."

Compile a BartPE with Norton Ghost Ver 8.2; for all practical purpose, it is Norton Ghost 2003 that runs in a Windows Preinstalled Environment but independent of DOS.  All necessary drivers are incorporated during initial construction from what I gather.

EP
Cry

IP Logged

Pleonasm
Übermensch

Reply #8 - Nov 1st, 2006 at 2:44pm

IP Logged

Evereti
Gnarly

Ghost Wrangler

Reply #9 - Nov 2nd, 2006 at 6:19pm

Thanks lads

Now I wait for Santa for an extra disk, maybe Ghost 10 and I will get into the networking side. Shocked

It appears that Ghost 10 has gone some way to making the "non-corp" version back-up across LAN but with some wrinkles.....but then we all have them.  Maybe Ghost 11.0 will come out and be really easy for not so techo like me. Tongue

As an aside, I have found that the ultimate get out of jail combo is a Ghost 2003 boot floppy and my Iomega USB CD RW.  I once had a HDD fail, and the Ghost boot CD would not recognise the internal CD RW, but somehow the Iomega got connected even though it had never been plugged into this m/c before. Ain't technology wonderful.

PS. If Brian reads this...hello to Lennox Heads from Noosa. Grin

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #10 - Nov 2nd, 2006 at 6:57pm

Evereti,

Hi. You live in a beautiful part of Australia too.

Ask Santa to get you Ghost 9. You can create images across a network. Even a wireless network. The big advantage of Ghost 9 over Ghost 10 and S & R (Ghost 11) is that you can create a plugin to use in ReatogoXPE. This allows WinXP type networking which is a vast improvement over Symantec networking. You can't do wireless networking from the ReatogoXPE CD.  WPA is not supported but I've heard WEP does work. I'm set up for WPA2 so I didn't bother trying WEP. Wired networking is easy from ReatogoXPE.

http://radified.com/cgi-bin/YaBB/YaBB.cgi?board=general;action=display;num=11192...

http://radified.com/cgi-bin/YaBB/YaBB.cgi?board=general;action=display;num=11192...

You would only use the ReatogoXPE CD for restoring across a network but it does work for image creation too.

IP Logged

Evereti
Gnarly

Ghost Wrangler

Reply #11 - Nov 3rd, 2006 at 1:37am

Hi Brian

I have made a BartPE CD, no troubles.  Haven't got into ReatogoXPE yet......Are they different, do they work together?

Cheers ???

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #12 - Nov 3rd, 2006 at 1:45am

Evereti wrote on Nov 3rd, 2006 at 1:37am:
I have made a BartPE CD, no troubles. 

Then you will have no trouble making a ReatogoXPE CD.

ReatogoXPE is based on BartPE but it contains the XPE plugin which makes it look like WinXP. After using ReatogoXPE, you wouldn't go back.

IP Logged

Evereti
Gnarly

Ghost Wrangler

Reply #13 - Nov 3rd, 2006 at 1:50am

Thanks Brian

Downloading the exe now.

Cheers Wink

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #14 - Nov 3rd, 2006 at 2:07am

You should be able to just copy your completed plugins from BartPE to the ReatogoXPE 'Plugin' folder.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 6
Send Topic Print