Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print
Multiple Backups on same HDD (Read 80038 times)
Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Re: Multiple Backups on same HDD
Reply #45 - Nov 7th, 2006 at 9:05pm

EP, you could email them to Evereti. WinImage makes a nice compressed file.

IP Logged

Evereti
Gnarly

Ghost Wrangler

Reply #46 - Nov 7th, 2006 at 10:41pm

Hi Guys

If email is possible El P....send to ianeverett@optusnet.com.au

Thanks Grin

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Reply #47 - Nov 7th, 2006 at 11:56pm

Evereti wrote on Nov 7th, 2006 at 9:01pm:
"... I live in Australia about 250k up the coast from Brian.... You say you have a "set" of floppies...? I thought it was one?
What is in a "set"..."

Oz, eh... hmm, in that case let's fall back on Plan B.  CLICK HERE to review the exquisite details outlined in
Reply # 15
which will allow you to construct a "set" of floppies (actually a pair) for booting into Norton Ghost 2003 employing a takeoff on NightOwl's Panasonic Universal USB Driver routine.  Therein you will see the necessity for having two floppies, albeit only the first need be bootable.  Were only the "snail-mail" approach more practical, the now-notional two floppy set considered would have conformed exactly to those specifications so outlined.  Just make sure that your version of
usbaspi.sys
is dated 11/7/2004 or later.

EP
Cry

IP Logged

Evereti
Gnarly

Ghost Wrangler

Reply #48 - Nov 8th, 2006 at 3:25pm

Hi El Pescador

I will follow these instructions to the letter and I should be right.......willl take me a little time as my win98 machine is 30 min drive away.....

Also, I don't have partition magic (no partitions on disks), do I need the pqmagic bit in the path statement?

Thanks Grin

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Reply #49 - Nov 8th, 2006 at 5:56pm

Evereti wrote on Nov 8th, 2006 at 3:25pm:
"... I don't have partition magic (no partitions on disks), do I need the pqmagic bit in the path statement?..."

Be sure to leave all 'pqmagic' references out.  They are vestigial remnants from another task where NightOwl was guiding me through a USB tangle, and are quite irrevelant in your case.

EP
Cry

IP Logged

Evereti
Gnarly

Ghost Wrangler

Reply #50 - Nov 8th, 2006 at 11:42pm

Hi EP

So my path statement, if USB is "E" should look like this:

PATH=A:\;C:\;E:\

???

Haven't started yet as the trip to the Win 98 machine involves a visit to my Mother -in -law..........nuf sed.... Roll Eyes

Cheers
Evereti

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Reply #51 - Nov 9th, 2006 at 10:07am

Evereti wrote on Nov 8th, 2006 at 11:42pm:
"... So my path statement, if USB is "E" should look like this:

???..."

Bear in mind that the "fusion" set of Norton Ghost 2003 bootable diskettes illustrated was originally created with the Norton Ghost Boot Wizard before undergoing subsequent modification.  When firing up the Boot Wizard process to generate MS-DOS 2-Diskette Disaster Recovery Sets, you have to
contribute
MS-DOS by having
formatted WIN 98SE system diskettes in place
.  Your path statement is fine, but whereas the Norton Ghost Boot Wizard should create the file folders
USB
and
Ghost
for you, to "wear-both-a-belt-and-suspenders" you could even add:

PATH=A:\;A:\USB;A:\Ghost;C:\;E:\

Make sure you have the HIMEM.SYS file derived from C:\WINDOWS of a WIN 98SE OS PC at hand for adding to the Root Directory of A:\ in the latter stages of modification.  If you have to travel to get it, then be sure bring it back on media separate from the WIN 98SE system diskettes.

EP
Cry

IP Logged

Evereti
Gnarly

Ghost Wrangler

Reply #52 - Nov 9th, 2006 at 12:18pm

Thanks EP

I will create the floppies, do the Ghost processing, and add HIMEM on the 98se machine, then do the mods and add the new drivers back on the XP machine, and try it out on 2 XP machines (XP Pro with the PCI USB 2.0 ports, and XP Home with native USB 2.0).

I also have a win 2000 laptop with only USB 1.0.  I think I need to leave out the "/e" to get both 1.x and 2.0 drivers?

Better get this done soon as the 98se machine will be converted to win 2000. Its the best operating system particularly for laptop.....XP functionality without the bloat.

Cheers Grin

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Reply #53 - Nov 9th, 2006 at 12:29pm

Evereti wrote on Nov 9th, 2006 at 12:18pm:
"... Better get this done soon as the 98se machine will be converted to win 2000..."

I have even gone so far as to bulk-format virgin floppies in advance (by the dozens!) as WIN 98SE system diskettes, then go ahead and store them on the shelf.

EP
Cry

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Reply #54 - Nov 9th, 2006 at 8:35pm

Evereti wrote on Nov 8th, 2006 at 11:42pm:
"... So my path statement, if USB is "E" should look like this:

???

Rather than work from either a failing memory or from ill-kept notes, I went back and actually used the Norton Ghost Boot Wizard to create a
MS-DOS 2-Diskette Disaster Recovery Set
from scratch using the
Standard Ghost Boot Disk
selection (see illustration below).  Despite the fact my external HDD indeed has a single FAT32 primary partition and is actually the personalized 'F:' drive so noted, the Path Statement is strictly "on-the-money" as drive letter assignments on HDDs are otherwise irrelevant and often misleading nowadays in DOS.

EP
Cry

IP Logged

Evereti
Gnarly

Ghost Wrangler

Reply #55 - Nov 10th, 2006 at 4:03am

Hi EP, Pleo, Brian

I may really have gone over to the dark side.

I have been trying a package called Iomega Automatic Back Pro.....very interesting.

It instals really eeeeasy. Self explanatory (big red cross for System Backup), finds all the PCs in my network automatically, backed up my 12.8gb NTFS system across the network in 45mins and compressed to 8.4gb.  It backed up my wireless laptop  (3.5gb W2K) in 25mins.  The process even tells you which path and user name to write down for recovery. It does scheduled back up of files and/or system.

Not yet brave enough to try a recovery, but, it comes with a .ISO image for a recovery environment which creates, with a couple of clicks, a Recovery CD.  This fires up and autodetects the NIC, asks for the path and name written down before, and automatically and instantly finds the image on the other PC, then prompts for the usual stuff, where to restore to etc.  All very simple and quick.

It also, of course, works to local internal hard drives, but I think it is restricted to some Iomega USB devices like REV and there USB hard drives, which it autodetects anywhere in the network.  I am buying an Iomega Portable USB so should be fixed up.

What's even better...its a free download (74mb) from the Iomega site. Also comes free with Iomega USB HDDs.

Has anyone any experience with this product.??? Roll Eyes

EP
I have built the NG2003 boot floppy set...worked sort of...my clunky USB HDD still only works on native usb1.1 so the drivers don't like my PCI USB 2.0 card.......On the other machine with the native usb 2.0 it failed when loading and flicks through too quick to see what went wrong and the k/b is inactive when it asks for second floppy.  I will work on this, it might be that my mouse and keyboard are USB and plugged in via a hub??

Cheers Grin

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Reply #56 - Nov 10th, 2006 at 6:32am

Evereti wrote on Nov 10th, 2006 at 4:03am:
"... On the other machine with the native usb 2.0 it failed when loading and flicks through too quick to see what went wrong and the k/b is inactive when it asks for second floppy.  I will work on this, it might be that my mouse and keyboard are USB and plugged in via a hub??..."

The
/norst
setting has yet to fail me in maintaining USB keyboard and mouse functions with my perennial favorite, DOS-dependent Norton Ghost 2003.  Making Ghost 2003 function with USB external HDDs and, in particular, internal HDDs mounted in USB external enclosure kits is my singular forte'.

The USB hub sounds spooky, so I recommend temporarily trying PS/2 devices if possible.  Anyway, go ahead and try the
config.sys
below:

DEVICE = himem.sys
DEVICE = usb\usbaspi.sys /v /w /e
/norst

DEVICE = usb\di1000dd.sys
DOS = high,umb
LASTDRIVE = Z

EP
Cry

IP Logged

Evereti
Gnarly

Ghost Wrangler

Reply #57 - Nov 10th, 2006 at 6:53pm

Hi EP

Finally made it.

Don't know if it was the /norst  or the fact that I replugged the mouse and k/b native rather than through a hub....anyway it works as it should writing at USB 2.0 speed and sharing the USB drive (NTFS) with the other files already there.

Thanks
Evereti Grin

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Reply #58 - Nov 10th, 2006 at 7:36pm

Evereti wrote on Nov 10th, 2006 at 6:53pm:
"... Finally made it..."

As I am prone to say at such moments: Roll Eyes
Kowabonga, Buffalo Bob !!!

EP
Cry

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #59 - Nov 12th, 2006 at 12:36am

El_Pescador

In your reply #41, do you know if your setup fails if you do not select *Assign drive letters* in the *External storage driver settings* options?

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print