Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print
Multiple Backups on same HDD (Read 80052 times)
NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Re: Multiple Backups on same HDD
Reply #75 - Nov 23rd, 2006 at 1:45am

El_Pescador

Ok--so back to your question in reply # 67:

Quote:
If you were inclined to "pull-out-all-the-stops", then how, where and with what switches/options would you incorporate the *emm386.exe/himem.sys/DOS=high,umb* combo into NightOwl's Panasonic Universal USB Driver routine?

First--I probably wouldn't--as I mentioned previously--*emm386.exe* does not help Ghost work any better--just changes how much conventional memory is available--
but Ghost doesn't need that extra memory
!

*Himem.sys* may be needed by some systems--but probably rarely.

But here goes.  First, I *rem*'d (remarked out--this prevents that line from loading during boot) those lines that I did not want to load for the first screen shot--this will be loading the device drivers all in *conventional memory*:

[config.sys]

rem  Device=himem.sys
rem  Device=emm386.exe ram
Device=usb\usbaspi.sys /v /w /norst
Device=usb\di1000dd.sys
rem  Dos=high
Lastdrive=z

[autoexec.bat]

@echo off
SET TZ=GHO+08:00
path=a:\;a:\ghost;a:\usb
mouse.com
rem  echo Loading...
rem  cd Ghost
rem  ghost.exe

[list of files and sub-directories]

[Ghost]   (sub-directory--empty)
[USB]        (sub-directory--usb drivers)
AUTOEXEC.BAT
COMMAND.COM
CONFIG.SYS
EDIT.COM     (optional to edit config.sys or autoexe.bat)
EMM386.EXE
HIMEM.SYS
IO.SYS
MEM.EXE    (DOS program to show memory usage)
mouse.com
MSDOS.SYS

[USB]

di1000dd.sys
Usbaspi.sys

So, after loading--here's the screen shot of the memory usage from the *mem.exe* program:

There's 640 k of conventional memory, 133 k used by the loaded drivers, and 507 k available for running programs.  No Upper Memory (blocks) (UMB) is available.

Now--un-rem'd the *Device=himem.sys* and *DOS=High*:

[config.sys]

Device=himem.sys
rem  Device=emm386.exe ram
Device=usb\usbaspi.sys /v /w /norst
Device=usb\di1000dd.sys
Dos=high
Lastdrive=z

[autoexec.bat]

@echo off
mouse.com
rem  echo Loading...
rem  cd Ghost
rem  ghost.exe

Now, you see in the last line that DOS is loaded in *high memory area* (HMA), still no UMB's, and now you have 569 k available to run a DOS program.

Now, un-rem'd *Device=emm386.exe ram*, added *DeviceHigh* for loading drivers in config.sys, and used *LH* (LoadHigh) to load drivers in autoexec.bat:

[config.sys]

Device=himem.sys
Device=emm386.exe ram
DeviceHigh=usb\usbaspi.sys /v /w /norst
DeviceHigh=usb\di1000dd.sys
Dos=high, umb
Lastdrive=z

[autoexec.bat]

@echo off
LH mouse.com
rem  echo Loading...
rem  cd Ghost
rem  ghost.exe

So, now there is 79 k UMB's to use, of which 57 k is in use and there is 622 k available for running DOS programs.

Finally--if you use those additional USB DOS drivers, *ghost.exe* can no longer fit on the initial boot disk--you have to go to a 2-disk set--disk #1 for the boot files, and disk #2 for *ghost.exe*.  So, below I'm going to *pull out all the stops* and outline both disk #1 and disk #2--and just to make it a *complete* DOS boot disk set, I'm adding the CD-ROM drivers as well!

[Disk #1--boot disk]

[config.sys]

Device=himem.sys
Device=emm386.exe ram
DeviceHigh=usb\usbaspi.sys /v /w /norst
DeviceHigh=usb\di1000dd.sys
DeviceHigh=oakcdrom.sys /d:nightowl
Dos=high, umb
Lastdrive=z

[autoexec.bat]

@echo off
LH mouse.com
LH mscdex.exe /d:nightowl /l:x /m:16 /v
cls
echo.
echo.
echo  Boot Disk #1 has finished loading.
echo.
echo  Eject Disk #1, and put in Disk #2.
echo.
echo  *Press any key* when you are ready to continue.
pause
echo Loading...
cd Ghost
ghost.exe

[list of files and sub-directories]

[Ghost]   (sub-directory--empty)
[USB]        (sub-directory--usb drivers)
AUTOEXEC.BAT
COMMAND.COM
CONFIG.SYS
EDIT.COM     (optional to edit config.sys or autoexe.bat)
EMM386.EXE
HIMEM.SYS
IO.SYS
mouse.com
mscdex.exe
MSDOS.SYS
oakcdrom.sys

[USB]

di1000dd.sys
Usbaspi.sys

[Ghost]   (empty on boot disk #1)

[Disk #2--*ghost.exe* disk]

[list of files and sub-directories for disk #2]

[Ghost]   (sub-directory--copy your *ghost.exe* to this sub-directory)
AUTOEXEC.BAT
COMMAND.COM

[Ghost]

ghost.exe

Notes: 

1.  For disk #2, the *autoexec.bat* and *command.com* are the same files as you used on disk #1--placing these on the second floppy disk simply avoids having DOS giving you an error message about being unable to find *command.com* or asking you to put in the first boot disk because it's looking for *autoexec.bat* to see if the batch file was completed.

2.  Personally, I would *rem* out the *emm386.exe* line--one can just leave the *devicehigh* and *LH* statements--they will simply be ignored without *emm386.exe*.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

Evereti
Gnarly

Ghost Wrangler

Reply #76 - Dec 3rd, 2006 at 10:09pm

Hi Guys

Just to close this off....got a NEC PCI USB 2.0 Card (replaced the Ali card) and the dual floppy Panasonic drivers work perfectly.

I see a single floppy set up on another thread, might try one of them.....!

Cheers
Evereti

IP Logged

Evereti
Gnarly

Ghost Wrangler

Reply #77 - Dec 6th, 2006 at 12:29am

Hi Guys

I was thinking of making a Bootable Ghost CD (just like the Panansonic floppy or floppies) and read Nightowl's pages on creating one without a floppy drive and got hopelessly lost. ??? Sorry Nightowl.

Is there an idiot's guide to creating such a CD given that I do have a floopy drive, and I have a Standard Ghost boot floppy, as well as Panasonic Boot two floppy set (will make Panasonic single soon).......?

I have Winimage and can suck in the floppy contents, but am having trouble getting them burnt back onto CD from Winimage.

Cheers
Evereti Grin

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #78 - Dec 6th, 2006 at 3:39pm

Evereti

Quote:
read Nightowl's pages on creating one without a floppy drive and got hopelessly lost.  Sorry Nightowl.

Apology graciously accepted  Wink --I noted that as a possible negative of trying to use my guide!

If you have a floppy drive, and a boot floppy that works the way you want it to--then it's pretty easy to create a bootable CD.

The first floppy will have the needed boot files--most burning programs give you the option of letting the program read a bootable floppy as a source to create a bootable CD.  Just select that option when asked by the program.

The second floppy simply has the Ghost program on it--that needs to be placed on the *data* part of the bootable CD that's being created.

You may have to make some minor adjustments to [config.sys] and/or [autoexec.bat] to point to the drive letter that is being assigned to the optical drive.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

IP Logged

Evereti
Gnarly

Ghost Wrangler

Reply #79 - Dec 6th, 2006 at 5:48pm

Hi Nightowl

I used Nero, very simple, as long as the CD is really blank, ie if rewriteable, do a full erase, and did not have to change anything from the floppy.

BUT, before that I wanted to create a single panasonic floppy but did not have access to a win 98 PC, but did have a working dual floppy set, so:

Cloned first disk of dual set using WinImage, then modified it to look like El P's single disk....works like a charm.

Point to note here is that WinImage allows you to format the target floppy using "Import format from currently selected disk", thus getting over the need for a Win 98 PC.  So WinImage procedure is:
1) insert working Ghost floppy, click read disk,
2) remove floppy,
3) insert target floppy and format using "import format from currently selected disk"
4) click write disk
5) enyoy.

I now have working single Panasonic floppy, and working Panasonic CD....excellent Grin Grin

I guess I could try creating an ISO image from the CD and then I can always create a new CD or floppy in the future.

Cheers
Evereti

IP Logged

Evereti
Gnarly

Ghost Wrangler

Reply #80 - Dec 7th, 2006 at 8:48pm

Further to previous post, it seems that it is not necessary to perform the format step.

Once you have a working Single Panasonic Floppy, and have used WinImage to "read" the image, and saved it on hard drive, then that image can be opened and "write disk" to any floppy.  I used a win2000 formatted floppy and WinImage just writes the stored image and produces a working bootable Panasonic floppy.

Evereti

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #81 - Dec 7th, 2006 at 8:57pm

Evereti

Ah, beginning to see the *beauty* of WinImage!!!

Also, you do not need a *Win98 PC*!  Download the boot disk file from here: 
BootDisks.com

Choose the *Windows 98 OEM* file to download, execute the program file on a system with a floppy drive (it's okay if it's a WinXP system, etc.--the boot disk will be the orginal Win98 ERD (Emergency Recover Disk) regardless of the current OS and file system that you are using!), and supply a formatted floppy disk when requested.

IP Logged

Evereti
Gnarly

Ghost Wrangler

Reply #82 - Jan 1st, 2007 at 4:20pm

Hi   El Pesc   and Nightowl

I'm Back.....!

Few weeks ago I created a single Panasonic Ghost boot floppy (and a CD version) and all seemed well....however my testing regime was flawed.....I tested it by running an Integrity Check on an existing Ghost Image. Using my Iomega USB HDD.

Now that it is time for another backup I used the single floppy and Ghost hung up about 450-460mb (1 min 30 secs) into the backup.....froze the system and required the big red button to get back.  It does this on both my XP systems.

Dual floppy works perfectly....single floppy works perfectly on Integrity check but gets stuck every time 450mb into process......

Any Ideas

Cheers
Evereti Angry

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #83 - Jan 1st, 2007 at 4:45pm

Evereti,

Did you overcome the ReatogoXPE issue with network drivers? Did you make a Ghost 9 plugin?

IP Logged

Evereti
Gnarly

Ghost Wrangler

Reply #84 - Jan 1st, 2007 at 5:24pm

Hi Brian...Happy New Year

I gave up on Reatogo for the time being....concentrating on getting the Ghost CD working..

and getting the new AV 5.1 Recvr and surround speakers, DVD , PVR working....Santa was good to me...... Grin Grin

Cheers
Evereti

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print