Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
New Forum> Norton Ghost 9 & 10 + Save & Restore (Read 18742 times)
Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Newport Beach, California

New Forum> Norton Ghost 9 & 10 + Save & Restore
Nov 17th, 2006 at 11:55pm

Created a new forum today, dedicated specificallly to
Ghost 9/10 and Norton Save & Restore
(which are all based on the same core software). See here:

http://radified.com/cgi-bin/YaBB/YaBB.cgi?board=ghost9_10

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Re: New (more specific) Boards
Reply #1 - Nov 18th, 2006 at 12:35am

Rad

NightOwl is rocking back and forth chanting *change is good, change is good, .....   Wink !

But, seriously--I'm not sure I like the new divisions--too many--as you mentioned, it leaves out the corporate versions, and it doesn't include the earlier versions of DOS Ghost--2001, 2002!

I think Ghost 9, 10, and *Norton Save and Restore* all fall into a like category of *hot imaging* from within Windows, can only be used on WinXP, and are re-labeled and updated versions of *Drive Image*, if I'm not mistaken.  So they could be a single group.

Then all the DOS based versions of Ghost (the original *true* Ghost product--I know, I'm asking for it!) belong together--so retail Ghost 2003 and earlier, and Corporate version 8.xx and earlier could be a separate category.

Then possible a *Non-Ghost--Technical Category* for all other technical questions unrelated to Ghost.

Unfortunately, there will probably always be some overlap--one question leads to another, somehow the discussion ends up in a completely different category than where it started!

And then the *Non-Technical* board for all other *politically incorrect* issues, etc.!

Or, leave them the same as before.....NightOwl is rocking back and forth chanting *change is good, change is good, .....   Wink !

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

Pleonasm
Übermensch

Reply #2 - Nov 18th, 2006 at 10:44am

One concern about the new structure is that many users' issues cut across versions of Ghost (e.g., restoring an image to a PC different than the one on which it was created).

We would need to give this some thought, but if we could create a taxonomy of the most common user problems posted on the forum (e.g., Creating an Image, Restoring an Image, Backup Strategy, Spyware/Rootkits, etc.), that might be a good alternative structure to consider, since it is not product specific and may therefore attract more traffic to the boards.

ple • o • nasm n. “The use of more words than are required to express an idea”

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Reply #3 - Nov 18th, 2006 at 11:22am

i agree we don't want too many boards, so i deleted the ghost-specific boards created yesterday. (i first moved existing posts from those boards to general discussion board.)lemme know what if anything would be a better idea.

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Reply #4 - Nov 18th, 2006 at 11:28am

i think if i used heading such as "windows-based ghost" or "dos-based ghost", readers might not understand them.

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Reply #5 - Nov 18th, 2006 at 11:30am

nightowl is free to administrate new & existing boards. everything is done under the "Edit Boards" section of admin controls.

just be careful not to delete what we have now. =)

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Reply #6 - Nov 18th, 2006 at 11:34am

it's a delicate balance to achieve effective organization. easy to get carried away with a million boards.

i am okay with anything.

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Reply #7 - Nov 18th, 2006 at 11:36am

maybe just start slow with a new board dedicated solely to/for ghost 9/10 .. and see how that goes??

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Reply #8 - Nov 18th, 2006 at 11:49am

okay, i added *one* new board .. dedicated to/for Ghost 9/10 (which are both Windows-based on Powerquest's Drive Image). this certainly isn't too many boards. let's see how that plays out.

when i first set up the boards, i was just playing with the forum software (YaBB) .. i never planned for effective organization. and yes i also dislike forums with a million different boards. after years in the military, i dislike regimentation. freedom, baby.

comments?

IP Logged

MrMagoo
Übermensch

Resident Linux Guru

Phoenix, AZ (USA)

Re: New (more specific) Discussion Boards
Reply #9 - Nov 18th, 2006 at 9:31pm

I like the changes.  The original setup didn't allow for clear organization.   It may take a few tries to get the boards right, so I agree that we should see how it goes for a few days.

IP Logged

lollal
Ex Member

Re: New Forum:> Norton Ghost 9 & 10 + Save
Reply #10 - Dec 30th, 2006 at 7:39am

Hello, I have a problem and didnt know where to write, hope here's the place.

I've bought my computer a year ago and the person who I've bought from put a ghost file in my d disk, its a .GHO file.
Now my comp is a mess and my guarantee has expired but i still want to use that backup so i bought ghost 10.0 and installed it on my comp.
but I dont know how to use that backup file. What should I do? its not seen in "My Recovery Points" and if I try in advanced options it says I need to use Boot disk, Any help please?

Thxs In Advance ;]

IP Logged

ckcc
Technoluster

South Carolina, USA

Reply #11 - Dec 30th, 2006 at 8:40am

The .GHO file was most likely created with Ghost 2003. Ghost 9 & 10 create image backups in a different format and will not work with  the older file types. But what you need to do is boot to the Ghost 10 recovery disc and select...Recover > Recover Data on My Computer > Recover using a legacy ghost image... this will allow you to restore the .GHO file. Post back with problems or success.

If anything can go wrong, it already did, and you just now noticed it.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #12 - Dec 30th, 2006 at 9:10am

lollal

Quote:
I have a problem and didnt know where to write, hope here's the place

Well, you have bought Ghost 10--the correct place for those questions would be the *(New Forum) Norton Ghost 9 & 10 Discussion Board, including Norton Save & Restore*--but the file type *.GHO*, is for the pre-Ghost 9/10/Save & Restore--so the *General Discussion Board* is where we usually deal with the versions of Ghost such as Ghost 2003, 2002, 2001 or the corporate cousins Ghost 8.x, 7.x, 6.x, etc.

But, it's always best to begin a *New Topic* if you are not adding to the present topic of a board's *thread* (as each topic is referred to).  A *New Topic* with your own thread title will usually get more attention--the topic of this thread and individual postings have nothing to do with your question--if you see what I mean!

In Windows, if you open Windows Explorer and click on that *.gho* file, does that bring up the program *Ghost Explorer*?  I don't have Ghost 10 installed, so I don't know if the installation of Ghost 10 includes associating the older versions of Ghost with the *.gho* files to the *Ghost Explorer* program.

If *No*--then on the installation disk for Ghost 10, you can find the following file named *GHOSTEXP.EXE* in this location *X:\I386\SHELL\GHOST\GHOSTEXP.EXE* where X: is your optical drive letter.  If in Windows you click on that file, it will start the *Ghost Explorer* file that can then open that *.gho* file--you will then see what's inside that *.gho* file.

But, you can only browse the *.gho* file contents, and extract individual files using this program.  But, if you are not sure what's in the *.gho* file, you need to be careful as to how to proceed.

If you want to fully restore a system using a *.gho* file, you will have to boot from the Ghost 10 installation CD to what Symantec calls the Ghost 10 *Recovery Environment* (RE).  

Booting from the Ghost 10 Installation Disc, once you reach the main opening screen, select *Recovery* from the side tabs, then select *Recover using a legacy Ghost image*.  This will open Ghost32 v8.2--the 32-bit version of Ghost that only runs under a Windows environment, but resembles the DOS version of Ghost--and it works with the *.gho* and *.ghs* files.

Again, if you are not familiar with DOS Ghost and how to use it, you need to be careful--if you restore that file, everything else on your system will be wiped out and permanently lost--and only the files from that *.gho* file will then exist on your system!

You need to spend some *quality* time learning more about Ghost here:  Rad's
Guide to Norton Ghost

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Reply #13 - Dec 30th, 2006 at 11:54am

NightOwl wrote on Dec 30th, 2006 at 9:10am:
"... If you want to fully restore a system using a *.gho* file, you will have to boot from the Ghost 10 installation CD to what Symantec calls the Ghost 10 *Recovery Environment* (RE).  

Booting from the Ghost 10 Installation Disc, once you reach the main opening screen, select *Recovery* from the side tabs, then select *Recover using a legacy Ghost image*.  This will open Ghost32 v8.2--the 32-bit version of Ghost that only runs under a Windows environment, but resembles the DOS version of Ghost--and it works with the *.gho* and *.ghs* files.

Again, if you are not familiar with DOS Ghost and how to use it, you need to be careful--if you restore that file, everything else on your system will be wiped out and permanently lost--and only the files from that *.gho* file will then exist on your system!..."

In this situation, I feel careful consideration should be given to setting up an external HDD as the DESTINATION HDD for a Norton Ghost Restore procedure.  My ideal would be an additional internal HDD compatible with your current system temporarily mounted in an external enclosure kit that could be swapped out with the MASTER HDD
prior to rebooting
albeit a purpose-built external HDD would serve with additional effort.

EP
Cry

IP Logged

cheng
Radmeister

Thailand

Re: New Forum> Norton Ghost 9 & 10 + Save &
Reply #14 - Feb 18th, 2007 at 11:09pm

.......Still I 'll give it try and then I'll post back here........Cheng.......

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print