Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Norton Ghost 10 Recovery Environment Obsolete? (Read 30943 times)
MLBar
Dude

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Re: Norton Ghost 10 Recovery Environment Obsolete?
Reply #15 - Dec 1st, 2006 at 8:16am

Nightowl:  As far as I can tell, I do not have a media card reader in my system.  The XPS-400 has two bays that may be used for media card readers or floppy drives.  I have one floppy drive.

Both of my Dell computers can read USB memory keys and I believe my Dell 128MB USB memory key is in fact visible in the Ghost 10 Recovery Environment on the Dell XPS-400.

At this time I think my problem may be due to the RAID drive mounting sequence, but it could be something else.

I hope Symantec has a Ghost 11 or Ghost 2007 in the wings for the Vista launch that will fix this problem.

MLB

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #16 - Dec 1st, 2006 at 9:17am

MLBar

Quote:
Both of my Dell computers can read USB memory keys and I believe my Dell 128MB USB memory key is in fact visible in the Ghost 10 Recovery Environment on the Dell XPS-400.

Do you *normally* have your USB memory key hooked up to your system when doing your various test that you have reported?

I've looked back through the posts in this thread--and there are some *issues* that could be further evaluated--
do you want to continue troubleshooting this problem?
There still may be a *solution*--but, there are some more clarifications and tests that you need to be willing to try--and post here!

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Reply #17 - Dec 1st, 2006 at 10:11am

NightOwl wrote on Dec 1st, 2006 at 9:17am:
"... I've looked back through the posts in this thread--and there are some *issues* that could be further evaluated--
There still may be a *solution*--but, there are some more clarifications and tests that you need to be willing to try--and post here!..."
To do so will enhance our
community knowledge-base Shocked

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #18 - Dec 1st, 2006 at 7:29pm

MLBar wrote on Dec 1st, 2006 at 8:16am:
  At this time I think my problem may be due to the RAID drive mounting sequence, but it could be something else.

We've told you what the "something else" is. Several times. But you seem to have visual aphasia.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #19 - Dec 1st, 2006 at 8:45pm

Brian

Actually--I think MLBar's problem is somewhat different than the USB Card Reader vs HDD drive letter assignments that I have previously outlined--he has stated that his system does not have a built-in USB card reader unit--but, the problem may be related in a tangential way--but as I mentioned--there'd have to be some more *clarity* brought to the table to figure things out.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

IP Logged

MLBar
Dude

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #20 - Dec 2nd, 2006 at 3:07am

Nightowl -- Normally that USB key has been sitting in my center desk drawer, cap on.  I have just checked the system with it installed and I find it visible with all CD-boot systems I have:

Microsoft Base WinPE:
   A:\ =Floppy
   C:\ =Remote_USB3 (Western Digital 3200JB)
   D:\ =Remote_USB2.1 (Western Digital 1200BB)
   E:\  =Dell 128MB Memory Key
   F:\  =TSSTcorp DVD-ROM
   X:\  =HL-DT-ST DVD+-RW
   Z:\  =RamDrive

BartPE:
   B:\ =RamDrive
   C:\ = System RAID drive ARRAY
   D:\ =Dell 128MB Memory Key
   E:\ =TSSTcorp DVD-ROM
   X:\ =HL-DT-ST DVD+-RW

Norton Ghost 10
   C:\ =System RAID drive ARRAY
   E:\ =TSSTcorp DVD-ROM (?)
   G:\ =Dell 128MB Memory Key
    Z:\  =RamDrive

Normal Windows XP-SP2
   C:\ =System RAID drive ARRAY
   D:\ =Remote_USB3 (Western Digital 3200JB)
   E:\ =TSSTcorp DVD-ROM
   F:\ =Remote_USB2.1 (Western Digital 1200BB)
   G:\ =Dell 128MB Memory Key

In the Ghost 8.2 mode, the memory key shows up as G: 3:1 and the second USB drive ID has been bumped up to 4:1.

As yet, I have not fully checked the solution offered here, however, if the RAID drive setup is the problem, I suspect the equivalent solution might be changing the system drive C:\ reference letter.  I do not think Windows allows this and it would create a massive problem with all the previous references to this drive in the registry.

MLB

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #21 - Dec 2nd, 2006 at 11:43pm

MLBar

Well, I didn't see a specific answer to the question:

Quote:

But, being as you have responded with additional information, I will assume the answer is *yes*!

When you boot the *Microsoft Base WinPE*--during the first screen of the boot sequence--is there, at the bottom of the screen, a text line saying something to the effect of *Press F6 to add needed drivers*?

What ever the *Microsoft Base WinPE* is, it does not have the needed RAID drivers for your Dell XPS-400 Computer, but apparently your BartPE and Ghost 10's Recovery Disk do--your Dell XPS-400 system's driver CD or Dell's website should have the needed RAID controller drivers that you would place on a floppy disk, and during boot, you press that F6 when the message appears, and you will be instructed to place the floppy disk with those drivers into the floppy drive, and the boot program will load those drivers, and now your RAID HDD array should show up without any problems--and the drive letters will be re-assigned accordingly--but this is all a side issue  Wink .

I've gone back through the various post and have put together the following--what I think the listing of your various drives in the Ghost32 v8.2 Legacy mode in the Ghost 10 Recovery Environment (RE) must be (?)--I need you to confirm that the following listing is accurate and correct--post any corrections that are needed.  Best way to view the listing in the Ghost32 v8.2 in the Ghost 10 RE is to start the program and go to *Local > Check > Image*--the drop down box will list all the available drives (partitions) available as sources to search for an image file:

[with Dell 128MB Memory Key attached]

1:1 = Dell Restore Partition   (no drive letter assigned)
1:3 = Dell Utility Partition      (no drive letter assigned)
2:1 = WD 1200 USB HDD (2:1)   (no drive letter assigned)
4:1 = WD 3200 USB HDD (3:1)   (no drive letter assigned)
------ A:\ Local Drive
1:2 = C:\ System RAID drive ARRAY
------ E:\ TSSTcorp DVD-ROM
3:1 = G:\ Dell 128MB Memory Key
------ X:\ HL-DT-ST DVD+-RW   (boot drive)
------ Z:\ MS-RamDrive

Do you have a Win98se boot disk?  If not you can down load an *.exe* file from
Bootdisk.com

Choose the *Windows 98 OEM* file to download, execute the program file on a system with a floppy drive (it's okay if it's a WinXP system, etc.--the boot disk will be the orginal Win98 ERD (Emergency Recover Disk) regardless of the current OS and file system that you are using!), and supply a formatted floppy disk when requested.

After creating the boot disk, shut down Windows, and re-boot with the boot floppy disk.

What you are watching for is which drive letter is assigned to which optical drive during this one time boot to DOS with the Win98se boot disk--the optical drive that gets the first available drive letter is the first optical drive *seen* by the system in DOS--I need to know that piece of information as well!

Once I know that the information above is correct--I think I can *untangle* your drive letter assignments, and hopefully your USB HDD's will be visible in the Ghost 10 RE!

IP Logged

MLBar
Dude

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #22 - Dec 3rd, 2006 at 10:55pm

Nightowl -- I have just finished running some tests after removing all USB devices except the keyboard and mouse -- there is no PS2 connection option on my system.   I also removed all the unused dos-devices on the mounted devices list as well as the \??\entries as there appeared to be duplicate entries referencing.  I CD-booted the system in this configuration and the results were the same as before except for the absence of the USB devices.

I next changed the E:\ optical drive to D:\.  In this case the optical drive remains where WinPE configures it.  I really did not want to do this as most of my software has been installed from this drive and Registry Mechanic tends to delete registry keys that reference missing devices.

I reconnected the primary USB drive and allowed it to configure as E:\.    The problem was unsolved.

I tried setting the USB drive to F:\.  The problem  was unsolved.  So I have restored the same basic drive letters as they were before; D:\ for the USB drive and E:\ for the first optical drive as per the test you requested and the Base WinPE mounting order.  I have left the second optical drive set to X:\ and use that drive for CD booting.

As regards the data you wanted confirmed, I find that I have made some minor transcription errors as a result of not having a reference other than my memory when posting.  Here is a more accurate listing:

1:1 [DellUtility] FAT drive
1:3 [DellRestore] FAT drive
2:1 [Remote_USB3] NTFS drive {WD3200}
A: Local drive
C: 1:2 [(my system)] NTFS drive
    {USB Drive D: 2.1 is missing from this spot}
E: [DSLOA1] CD Rom/DVD drive
X: [NORTONGHOST10.0] CD Rom/DVD drive {R/W}
Z: [MS-RAMDRIVE] local drive

I believe my second USB drive (normally unused) would show up as 3:1 [Remote_USB2.1] NTFS drive.  I have used it for test purposes only.  The list above represents my normal system setup.  Good luck making any sense out of this.

MLB

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #23 - Dec 4th, 2006 at 12:22am

MLBar

Quote:
I also removed
all the unused dos-devices
on the mounted devices list as well as the \??\entries as there appeared to be duplicate entries referencing.

So, if I'm reading this correctly, using *Regedit* and navigating to the *[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\MountedDevices]* key, you did not delete *all* the entries--only certain ones--correct?  (
See here for discussion.
)

Without making any additional changes to the setup you outline above--going to that Registry key *[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\MountedDevices]*, what drive letters are listed for the *\DosDevices:*--just:

\DosDevices\A:
\DosDevices\C:
\DosDevices\D:
\DosDevices\E:
\DosDevices\X:

Correct?

Going to *My Computer*--right mouse click, select *Manage*, and then select *Disk Management*.  For your optical drives--are they listed as *CD-ROM 0* and *CD-ROM 1*? 

Which optical drive is *CD-ROM 0*--if you right mouse click on it and select *Properties*, you will see which drive is hooked up to that device in Disk Management?

With the new information in your last post, I'm less sure of what may be going on, but report back with the answers to the above questions--and we'll go from there.

IP Logged

MLBar
Dude

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #24 - Dec 12th, 2006 at 8:00pm

Nightowl -- Sorry for the long delay.

The answer to your first question is yes, A, C, D, E, and X. Drive E:\ is CD-ROM 0 and drive X:\ is CD-ROM 1 and the USB drive (D:\) is not seen with the Ghost disk in either CD-ROM drive.

I also tried removing all entries and the system reconfigured as A, C, D, E, and F.  In this case, D:\ and E:\ were the optical drives 0 and 1 respectively and   F:\ was the external USB drive.  I received the same results with this configuration as before so I restored the first drive designations listed above.

I have my BIOS USB setting set to "NOBOOT," as recommended by Dell.  My RAID drive array uses the SATA 0 and SATA 2 slots.  Slots 1 and 3 are empty.  Any attempt to change this arrangement produces an ugly BIOS warning message.

As before, good luck if you can make anything of this.  Thanks -

MLB

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #25 - Dec 12th, 2006 at 11:54pm

MLBar

It seems that every system reacts somewhat differently when booted to the Ghost 10 Recovery Environment (RE)--my PATA IDE HDD's are hooked up to a RAID controller by Highpoint, and is integrated into the motherboard.  In the RE using the Ghost32 v8.2 program, my HDD's on the RAID controller are mounted last--i.e. they are disk #8.

Looking at Brian's results and yours, your HDD's are mounted as disk #1.

If my system has any drive letter conflict, my second optical drive *disappears* and does not show up in the RE at all--while apparently both Brian's and yours is still present even though the USB HDD is not showing up!

So, try this experiment (humor me?):

--Disconnect your USB HDD. 
--Delete all entries in the *[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\MountedDevices]* registry key.
--Re-boot and let WinXP reassign drive letters.
--Go to Disk Management and change your optical drives drive letters (which should be D:\ for CD-ROM 0, and E:\ for CD-ROM 1--correct?)--
make CD-ROM 0 drive letter X:\, and make CD-ROM 1 drive letter Y:\

--Shut down.
--Connect your USB HDD.
--Place your Ghost 10 Recovery Disk in the CD-ROM 0 drive that you have assigned as X:\ in WinXP.
--Boot

Does the USB HDD get assigned a drive letter that Ghost 10 functions can see?

If *no*--I'm out of ideas on what may be preventing your USB HDD from being seen in the RE!

You might try a different USB HDD to see if *it* shows up okay!

If *yes*!--continue by re-booting to WinXP with your USB HDD still hooked up, it should be assigned the drive letter D:\--shut down, and re-boot with the Ghost 10 Recovery Disk--can you still see the USB HDD for Ghost 10 functions?

Results?!

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print