Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Backup & restore notebook to enclosure via USB (Read 50476 times)
tommy_tank
Dude

Re: Backup & restore notebook to enclosure via
Reply #30 - Nov 26th, 2006 at 6:19pm

OK, some good news and some bad news - well for me anyway. All instructions followed, notably the chkdsk \f \r. Looking back the only differences were that I installed Partition Magic and rebooted rather than just use the disk, and also the partition I deleted (the DSR) was a yellow not dark green rectangle, but I knew it was the right one. So the bad news is PM produced an error and when I exited I couldn't start Windows. And the good news is Ghost did its job and restored my C drive from external HDD perfectly and I'm back in and all looks good. So here's what happened:

1. I boot to PM and delete DSR partition. OK - Apply
2. All looking good I select to resize C:
3. I put in new size and OK - Apply
4. Can't remember exactly how far it got, at least 25% and then said:

Code:

Error #1552
The requested FRS entry is unused (free)

5. I exited and restarted the PC
6. Windows error saying the starting of Windows has been stopped for the safety of the system
7. Repeat 5 & 6
8. I boot to Ghost recovery CD and restore computer from C image (recovery point) held on ext. HDD

I Googled the error and people say a chkdsk \f sorts it out but I did that. I am doing it again now and unless I get any sage advice to the contrary from the forum I'll have another go tomorrow.

Despite the PM gremlin I'm pretty pleased about the recovery. Something of a forum triumph I think.

Tom

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #31 - Nov 26th, 2006 at 6:36pm

tommy_tank wrote on Nov 26th, 2006 at 6:19pm:
Despite the PM gremlin I'm pretty pleased about the recovery. Something of a forum triumph I think.

Tom, you have gained a lot of experience in a short time. Having that image was a life saver.

PM from DOS is regarded as safer than running it from Windows. I hope the current run is trouble free.

IP Logged

tommy_tank
Dude

Reply #32 - Nov 28th, 2006 at 3:02pm

I've tried to shrink C: in PM 3 times now, with the same 1552 FRS entry error each time, last time almost immediately after clicking Apply. I can't help feeling something fundamental is wrong. I have looked for anyone saying partitioning C: in a Dell Inspiron 9400 is impossible and can find nothing. chkdsk /f or /f /r doesn't help (unless I need to do it without rebooting before running PM but can't seem to move to the c drive at the PM DOS prompt).

Something that is interesting is in the XP defrag tool the C: has 2 small file stripes labeled "Unmovable files" that are a both well into an area of the disk that would become the new drive.

Also, when I am about to resize in PM the Information box says: "This partition crosses the 1024 cylinder boundary and may not be bootable".

For my PM preferences I have left Skip Bad Sector Checks unchecked. Maybe it's worth trying with this on.

Finally, in DOS-PM you get the list of drives in the main window with the bar representation above. The PM user guide says than only hidden, "partitions with file systems not supported by the active operating system", extended and unallocated drives are marked with an asterisk, yet my C: has an asterisk rather than "C:", yet is listed as Primary and Active. Probably nothing but you never know.

Something I forgot to mention before: throughout all attempts I have had XP's System Restore turned off as I read somewhere PM prefers/needs this.

If no one has any bright ideas here, anyone know a good forum I can go to for PM issues?

Thanks,

Tom

IP Logged

kaletonto
Dude

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Northeast Pennsylvania

Reply #33 - Nov 28th, 2006 at 7:01pm

El_Pescador wrote on Nov 21st, 2006 at 8:20pm:
EXPIRES COB 11/22/2006: Norton Ghost 10.0 Retail Box with Norton Ghost 2003 CD included inside as lagniappe Shocked

CLICK HERE to view
FREE
offer on retail boxed Norton Ghost 10.0 in banner above - after $60 in MIRs.

CLICK HERE to download $40 MIR form.

CLICK HERE to download $20 MIR upgrade form.

EP
Cry

EP.....

I bought the whole Symantec deal from Fry's you listed in June and sent in the rebates by priority mail with delivery confirmation and have yet to receive any money. So to Tommy I would be leery about the rebates. I triple checked all info and had my wife also check everything and of course I copied everything to make sure it was as they requested and still nothing. It may just be me, but I will think twice before doing ANY rebates in the future. My total was close to $100 so that kinda makes you wonder. Just my .02

Harold

IP Logged

kaletonto
Dude

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Northeast Pennsylvania

Reply #34 - Nov 28th, 2006 at 7:16pm

kaletonto wrote on Nov 28th, 2006 at 7:01pm:

Sorry about this, I made the post before reading the whole thread.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #35 - Nov 28th, 2006 at 7:53pm

Tom, the observations you describe in PM, apart from the error, are normal. I hope someone has a workaround. Maybe it could work by doing it piecemeal. Could you try shrinking C: drive by 5000 MB and if that works then shrink by another 5000 MB etc. Until you hit a wall. At least it will tell you how far you can go without an error.

Do you have to restore the recovery point after each error?

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Reply #36 - Nov 28th, 2006 at 8:20pm

kaletonto wrote on Nov 28th, 2006 at 7:01pm:
"... I bought the whole Symantec deal from Fry's you listed in June and sent in the rebates by priority mail with delivery confirmation and have yet to receive any money. So to Tommy I would be leery about the rebates. I triple checked all info and had my wife also check everything and of course I copied everything to make sure it was as they requested and still nothing. It may just be me, but I will think twice before doing ANY rebates in the future. My total was close to $100 so that kinda makes you wonder. Just my .02..."

My experience has been the absolute opposite of yours.  Check your Private Messages.

EP

IP Logged

tommy_tank
Dude

Reply #37 - Dec 4th, 2006 at 2:59pm

A few updates just to round things off. Trying to shrink the C volume piecemeal produces errors also. As Brian suggested, I just tried to shrink it by 5GB and soon got an error. This one was different from the usual ones and said:

Quote:
Error #1517
Required file attribute missing

Each time I attempt to partition C and get any sort of error the OS becomes inoperable and I need to recover using Ghost.

As with the last error I can find no better advice on it than running chkdsk. I am resigned to the fact that Partition Magic will not work for me (although I have written to Symantec so they may be able to advise something, though I'll be surprised). After all the time and problems I've had I am struggling to find the motivation to embark on attempting to use another partition application. Think I'll have to just be content with what I have.

Thanks for everyone's help. All the best,

Tom

IP Logged

catia1313
Ex Member

Reply #38 - Dec 4th, 2006 at 3:19pm

I am having problems receiving my Symantec rebate because I purchased at frys.com, just a heads up for you...I purchased Symantec products from frys.com BECAUSE of the rebates, but Symantec said the "place of purchase" is invalid...meaning they will not honor items purchased from frys.com...
Then why is frys.com purposefully advertising the prices after rebate and putting links to download the rebate forms???
I am trying to get this resolved because I have spent a lot of $$ at fry.com in the past month...lets see how they plan to resolve this issue.
  I sat ON HOLD with frys.com for 1/2 hours today, only to be disconnected...I am now on hold with them AGAIN as I type.
  This does not look good on frys.com's behalf. Buyer beware.

IP Logged

catia1313
Ex Member

Reply #39 - Dec 4th, 2006 at 3:52pm

Wanted to give you an update on the situation concerning rebates btwn Symantec and frys.com
Symantec IS accaepting their rebates BUT for some reson their computer generated stuff has it spitting out INVALID PURCHASE LOCATION (I was told specifically by Richie badge #es0096--this is because frys.com is new, and used to be outpost.com, and this is the reason for the conflict--this is what the customer service rep at symantec said VERBATIM). He DID VALIDATE my rebate...the NEW PROBLEM---It had to be REGENERATED--And will take an ADDITIONAL 4-6 weeks...meaning no rebate before Xmas...and it has already been 6 full weeks...I strongly suggest that IF you receive the tracking postcard or online info that you purchased at an "invalid location" that you DEFINATELY call them. Symantec will fix the problem, but you WILL have to wait for an entirely new "regeneration" time of 4-6 weeks...
The phone # for Symantec rebates is 1-866-206-8800 for those of you experiencing problems getting your rebates.
As far as the customer service at Symantec, they were very helpful and very fast, hold time was less than 5 minutes.
I will repost here when/if I receive more info, or my actual rebate from Symantec, letting you all know if I actually do receive or if I have more problems.
   This is an issue to consider because many people make purchases based on rebates--for me, I purchased in October, certain products for Xmas gifts, figuring I'd used my rebates gift cards and checks to purchase additional Xmas gifts in December...because I SHOULD have recieved my rebates this week...but not for the technical error on Symantecs part. Note, the error IS NOT based on anything concerning frys.com, it is Symantec. So, being that my money is tied up with Symantec, and my credit cards are maxed from the products I purchased due to rebates...I am broke and without my rebate $$ to purchase the rest of my xmas gifts...live and learn...I was not trying to be cheap...I was trying to get the biggest "bang" for my buck...and give some really awesome gifts that I normally would not be able to afford to give if not for the rebates...but now, xmas is gonna be tighter than ever...

I still, despite my best efforts and several calls to frys.com was not able to speak to a human being, and had been disconnected several times after very long holding times...

IP Logged

catia1313
Ex Member

Conflict is with Symantec not frys.com
Reply #40 - Dec 4th, 2006 at 4:07pm

Here is an update to my Symantec rebate coming back as "Invalid Purchase Location"
The problem is on Symantec's end, NOT frys.com.
Symantecs automatic generation system is spitting out postcards to consumers stating that they "could not honor request due to Invalid Purchase location" for frys.com purchases AND outpost.com purchases. The customer service rep at symantec said this should not be happening, and that he "Re-Validated" my rebate...Meaning I will receive my rebate, but not for another 4-6 weeks because it has to be REGENERATED...Sucks, as I made these purchases in October as Xmas gifts, with the sole intention of using the visa gift card to purchase other items in December for Xmas gifts as well. I thought I had a really good and executable plan, getting the biggest "bang" for my bucks...Well, IF it would've worked, it would've been great, but now, at best, I will receive my rebates mid January, so the purchases I planned to make with all of my Symantec rebates are not gonna get made cuz that is where my $$ is tied up.
Again, the problem is not frys.com, it is Symantec.
Symantec's resubmissions phone # is 1-866-206-8800  for those of you experiencing problems with your rebates.
They will validate rebates purchased at frys.com, but you MUST call and give your tracking number and such.
And you MUST WAIT an additional 4-6 weeks.
Shame on Symantec!!!  They are supposed to have it together...I should not have to wait for it to "regenerate", it was their mistake in the 1st place. Symantec should, of all companies have measures in place to avoid this, or to fix a conflict to the CUSTOMER's SATISFACTION.
I will post back when and IF I actually receive the rebate, or if I have additional problems concerning Symantec.

IP Logged

catia1313
Ex Member

Reply #41 - Dec 4th, 2006 at 4:22pm

Call this phone # 1-866-206-8516--this is Symantecs Rebate center.

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Reply #42 - Dec 4th, 2006 at 7:21pm

Quote:
"... I am having problems receiving my Symantec rebate because I purchased at frys.com, just a heads up for you..."

... ...

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #43 - Dec 4th, 2006 at 7:34pm

tommy_tank wrote on Dec 4th, 2006 at 2:59pm:
Each time I attempt to partition C and get any sort of error the OS becomes inoperable and I need to recover using Ghost.

Tom, I realise you are probably sick of partitioning at present but would you like to try something different? From the PM discs, delete the WinXP partition, apply, OK. Then create a primary partition 10 GB smaller than the original. So you will have 10 GB of unallocated space after the partition. Now try restoring your image to this smaller primary partition. If it doesn't work then delete the partition, create a full size primary partition and restore your image as before.

Could you let us know what happens? If it works it could hold promise for further changes.

IP Logged

tommy_tank
Dude

Reply #44 - Dec 5th, 2006 at 6:49am

Brian, thanks for the continued assistance. As you may suspect, I have little faith in Partition Magic. If I were to delete the C (XP) partition and then could not create a new one in PM (of whatever size) then wouldn't I be in quite a lot of trouble? I have the full "disk to image" Ghost 8.3 file on external HDD but I don't really want to use this as I'll lose the Dell MediaDirect HPA partition and therefore have to do all the work to partition, reinstall it, fix the MBR etc.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print