Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Backup & restore notebook to enclosure via USB (Read 50633 times)
Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Re: Backup & restore notebook to enclosure via
Reply #45 - Dec 5th, 2006 at 1:27pm

Tom, I understand your frustration with PM and it's even worse because none of us have seen that error and we can't help. It's possible that deleting and recreating the partition will fix the problem but I'm guessing.

As far as restoring your Ghost 10 image, it will restore to Unallocated Space or to a partition. It doesn't matter. So I don't think that deleting the partition will put you in a worse situation than what you have been through, multiple times. Deleting the partition is what I would have done after the first failure. It seems a drastic step but it's not. We know your backup image is good.

IP Logged

tommy_tank
Dude

Reply #46 - Dec 5th, 2006 at 5:49pm

OK, more fun with PM & Ghost 10. Here's what happened:

1. chkdsk /f
2. Boot to PM, delete C volume
3. Create new volume 75GB
i. Labelled it "OS"
ii. NTFS type
iii. Left as "Default" cluster size
iv. Some other selection i made Windows XP (3.1 somthing), not sure what it was
v. Left 18GB unallocated (12GB of old C and 5GB old Dell Restore Partition)
4. Made OS partition Primary
5. Made OS partition Active - this required reboot

# all error free so far

6. Booted to Ghost 10 and recovered
7. Got 99% complete then got the following error in the Ghost 10 Recover My Computer wizard:

Quote:
Info 60BB0031: Partitions ending past cylinder 1024 may not be bootable. Error EA 390610: The requested FRS entry is unused (free,0).

8. Did Norton disk diagnose in Ghost and no errors found on OS
9. Restart
10. Windows won't boot. Said something couldn't be found
11. Back into PM, and unallocated partition had an unused size of about 76GB which was strange. Checked properties and had many errors. Forced to hard reboot
12. Back to PM and delete C. Then create OS as before but made 87GB, the original size
13. Make Primary and Active
14. Start Ghost and select recovery point. Select Express as usual and Ghost says:

Quote:
Cannot complete Express recovery operation. Click Yes to do a custom recovery of the same recovery point.

15. Click Yes, follow steps and recovers successfully
16. Back into PM and try to resize C to 17GB. Same old FRS entry error
17. Recover with Ghost

So, do you think I should give up now? Just don't think it's meant to be. Not that I believe in that sort of thing.

Tom

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #47 - Dec 5th, 2006 at 8:00pm

tommy_tank wrote on Dec 5th, 2006 at 5:49pm:
So, do you think I should give up now? Just don't think it's meant to be. Not that I believe in that sort of thing.

Tom, I think you have done ten times more than the average person would have attempted and it's sad that you didn't succeed. I wish I knew the answer. At least you are an accomplished Ghost 10 user so some good has been done.

I wonder if Rad could ask Dan Goodell whether he has any comments?

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print