Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
I can't click the Boot Sector Propeties (Read 14867 times)
rulirahm
Radmeister

The Norton Ghost 1

Asia

I can't click the Boot Sector Propeties
Nov 21st, 2006 at 8:46am

Hi there, new user here  Grin

I've two question regarding from http://nightowl.radified.com/bootcd/started.html

1. I've NortonGhost 10 (NG061000EN.exe - http://www.symantecstore.com/dr/sat4/ec_Main.Entry17C?SID=49997&SP=10023&CID=0&P...) manually downloaded from Symantec.

At the step 8:

"And copy 'ghost.exe' from your 'C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton Ghost' (assuming that's where your Ghost program is located) to the 'C:\Bootable CD Project\Extracted Files' subdirectory. "

NortonGhost 10 doesn't have this file (Ghost.exe) so I get the file from http://vetusware.com/download/Norton%20Ghost%202003/?id=215, extract it using WinImage and get the Ghost.exe. Is it compatible with the instruction? ???

2. At the step 10:

"Here's a critical step--now select 'Image|Boot Sector Properties...', in the 'Boot Sector Properties' dialog box click on the 'Windows 95/98' button, and then 'OK' ."

The "Boot Sector Propeties" is not alive in WinImage (ver. 7 and 8 ). Is it gonna be a problem in the future? ???  I just saved the file bootcdp1.ima and ignoring the "Boot Sector Properties". I'm using Windows XP Home Edition SP 2 on my laptop Toshiba L100.

RR

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Re: I can't click the Boot Sector Propeties
Reply #1 - Nov 21st, 2006 at 9:38am

rulirahm

Interesting website link--Symantec no longer supports Ghost2003, but I'm not sure they would agree that it's *abandoned* and available for unfettered distribution...

Quote:
NortonGhost 10 doesn't have this file (Ghost.exe)

manually downloaded from Symantec

That is correct.  If you purchased the *retail* boxed version--it comes with a second Ghost 2003 installation disc included.

Quote:
Is it compatible with the instruction?

Yes, but it is an older build than what was the last available update--build=793.  Here's the version info from the above download--probably the original release build when Ghost 2003 first became available--see the copyright of 2002:

Quote:
A:\GHOST>ghost -ver
Norton Ghost 2003 (build=780, cdrlib=3.1.24)
Copyright (C) 1998-2002 Symantec Corp. All rights reserved.

Quote:
The "Boot Sector Propeties" is not alive in WinImage (ver. 7 and 8 ).

Have to be using the *Professional* mode for this functionality.

Quote:
Is it gonna be a problem in the future?

Did you burn the disc--does it boot to Ghost okay?  If I remember--when I did not use that setting in WinImage, I got a *System disk not found* error on my first attempts.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

rulirahm
Radmeister

The Norton Ghost 1

Asia

Reply #2 - Nov 21st, 2006 at 8:22pm

No. I'm not trying it yet. I'm afraid my WIndows will totally error. Have to re-install all programs and d/l huge update again Sad

BTW, a friend told me that use the XPBoot file or because of my drive C (where WIndows installed) is NTFS. MY drive D is FAT32.

What should I do?

RR

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Newport Beach, California

Reply #3 - Nov 21st, 2006 at 8:46pm

nevermind. i misread your post.

IP Logged

rulirahm
Radmeister

The Norton Ghost 1

Asia

Reply #4 - Nov 21st, 2006 at 8:59pm

Rad wrote on Nov 21st, 2006 at 8:46pm:
you can reformat the drive as ntfs and re-install everything from scratch. but that is extreme.

What do u mean? Please give me more detail/explanation as I've recovered my WIndows using its original CD-Recovery (came with the box) three times while trying several backup program Sad

My HD is 60 GB. I partitioned to be two (Drive C=30GB NTFS and Drive D=30GB FAT32). I set My Documents on Drive D.

All I want is, I can create my own CD-Recovery but I must have the original WIndows XP and also the XP SP2 (if I want to include it as the original CD-Recovery have it also huge Windows Update). So far, only Norton Ghost and Acronis True Image capable to do this (many ppl recommended it).

Why the Boot Sector Properties text button doesn't alive with two version of WinImage (ver 7 & 8 )? It exist but dead (I can't click it) Sad

RR

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #5 - Nov 21st, 2006 at 9:05pm

rulirahm

Quote:
No. I'm not trying it yet. I'm afraid my WIndows will totally error. Have to re-install all programs and d/l huge update again

When booting from a floppy disk or a bootable optical disc--if there's a boot failure to DOS--you simply eject the disk or disc and re-boot to Windows--there's no *Windows will totally error* that will cause you to *Have to re-install all programs*--at least not from a DOS boot disk or disc!

Quote:
BTW, a friend told me that use the XPBoot file or because of my drive C (where WIndows installed) is NTFS.

If you were trying to boot to the Windows OS on your NTFS partition--yes you need to use WinXP boot files--but you are booting to DOS, an independent OS from the WinXP OS--and it's running from your installed RAM--it's not reading or using any files from your WinXP OS partition!

Quote:
What should I do?

What do you want to do?

____________________________________________________________________________________________

IP Logged

rulirahm
Radmeister

The Norton Ghost 1

Asia

Reply #6 - Nov 21st, 2006 at 9:11pm

Ok then I'll try it but not now. I'm at my office right now. Got to work. The computer (NortonGHost) is in my home.

Thanks BTW. I'll keep u inform and of course if I received error again.

Cheers
Smiley

RR

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #7 - Nov 22nd, 2006 at 1:43am

rulirahm

Quote:
Why the Boot Sector Properties text button doesn't alive with two version of WinImage (ver 7 & 8 )? It exist but dead (I can't click it)

Even if you are using the *trial* version of WinImage--during the first 30 days, you can use the *Professional Mode* which is needed to have that option available.

You can change Mode in WinImage by clicking on the *Options* Menu item, and then selecting *WinImage mode selection ... *

IP Logged

rulirahm
Radmeister

The Norton Ghost 1

Asia

Reply #8 - Nov 22nd, 2006 at 3:59am

NightOwl wrote on Nov 22nd, 2006 at 1:43am:
rulirahm

Even if you are using the *trial* version of WinImage--during the first 30 days, you can use the *Professional Mode* which is needed to have that option available.

You can change Mode in WinImage by clicking on the *Options* Menu item, and then selecting *WinImage mode selection ... *

Indeed Smiley. It's working now.

Now, I'm at step 11:

"Now it's time to head to your CD/DVD burning program. I would suggest using a Re-writable CD at first so you can erase and start over if something doesn't work out right the first time. "

I've Nero 6 Ultra Edition ver. 6.3.1.0 which is looks like compatible. Please let me know if my project goes wrong... or can I've a chat with u on yahoo or MSN? My yahoo: rulirahm and MSN :ruly@semenpadang.co.id ...

Cheers...

RR

IP Logged

rulirahm
Radmeister

The Norton Ghost 1

Asia

Reply #9 - Nov 22nd, 2006 at 4:51am

I made it!!!  Smiley

Please, provide me with the correct link about how to restore backups that created by Norton Ghost 10 as I'm a little bit confuse when seeing this page.

Also, the Norton Ghost 10 already running on my computer (running by the auto-wizard after installing Norton Ghost for the 1st time) and create backups as shown below:

RR

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #10 - Nov 22nd, 2006 at 9:13am

rulirahm

Quote:
Please, provide me with the correct link about how to restore backups that created by Norton Ghost 10

1. I've NortonGhost 10 (NG061000EN.exe

Are we talking *apples vs oranges*?!

Are you trying to restore a Ghost 10 backup image file?  If *yes*, then I misunderstood what you were trying to do  Embarrassed !!!

The bootable CD/DVD that you create using my
Guide
is for Ghost 2003 or other DOS based versions of Ghost.  Ghost 9, Ghost 10, and Norton Save & Restore create image files that are not compatible with Ghost 2003 and other DOS based Ghost versions!

For Ghost 9, Ghost 10, and Norton Save & Restore, you either restore from within Windows for partitions (aka--drives) other than the OS partition--or for the OS partition, you have to use the Symantec Recovery Disk, that allows you to boot to their WinPE (Pre-installation Environment) version to what they call the *Recovery Environment* from a bootable CD or DVD.

I see now that your link in the first post was to Ghost 10's trial version--see this link from that page:

Important Information for Download Customers

Quote:
To receive the full Norton Ghost 10.0 or Norton SystemWorks 2006 Premier (which includes Norton Ghost 10.0) product via download (
which includes the Symantec Recovery Disk needed for a full system restore
), you must choose one of two purchase options:

1.  If you select “Buy Download,” you will have to download the Norton Ghost 10.0 file (45 MB) or Norton SystemWorks 2006 Premier file (which includes Norton Ghost 10.0) (97 MB)
and the .ISO file (230 MB for Norton Ghost 10.0 and 248 MB for Norton SystemWorks 2006 Premier*) and burn in onto a CD
(
create the Symantec Recovery Disk
). Instructions on how to create the .ISO CD (the
Symantec Recovery Disk
) can be found below and in your “Thank you” email.

Was the *Recovery Disk .iso* so you can burn a copy of the *Symantec Recovery Disk* not included in your trial download?

It's possible that Symantec does not include that file in their trial version of Ghost 10--to force folks to purchase their product!

IP Logged

rulirahm
Radmeister

The Norton Ghost 1

Asia

Reply #11 - Nov 22nd, 2006 at 10:15am

Oh, no Sad What should I do? I've limitted connection  ???

Any other program except Acronis?

BTW, so I just need the .ISO (bootable disc), right?

RR

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #12 - Nov 22nd, 2006 at 11:04am

rulirahm

Quote:
Any other program except Acronis?

I don't think Acronis will read Ghost 10 image files!

Quote:
BTW, so I just need the .ISO (bootable disc), right?

That should be the case.

IP Logged

ben_mott
Nuclear Grade

Reply #13 - Nov 22nd, 2006 at 3:33pm

if you got ghost.exe (7.5) it is best as it fits on a floppy
the rest of bootables can be found on those links you have to add your own ghost.exe to them
if you got NTFS partition you best bet is to back up to a external USB ide HDD fat32 (hard disk) as image it is faster than DVD

there is a floppy there that lets you see the USB 1.1 External HDD in dos
it is a big long link it all works as all floppies were tested at some stage.
do not ask any question as I am very rusty and not as knowlegable as Night OWEl or the other
ghost experts on this forum

page 1
http://www.911cd.net/forums//index.php?showtopic=14127
page2
http://www.911cd.net/forums//index.php?showtopic=14127&st=20

Regards Ben
Wink

IP Logged

rulirahm
Radmeister

The Norton Ghost 1

Asia

Reply #14 - Nov 22nd, 2006 at 10:07pm

NightOwl wrote on Nov 22nd, 2006 at 9:13am:
rulirahm

Are we talking *apples vs oranges*?!

Are you trying to restore a Ghost 10 backup image file?  If *yes*, then I misunderstood what you were trying to do  Embarrassed !!!

The bootable CD/DVD that you create using my
Guide
is for Ghost 2003 or other DOS based versions of Ghost.  Ghost 9, Ghost 10, and Norton Save & Restore create image files that are not compatible with Ghost 2003 and other DOS based Ghost versions!

For Ghost 9, Ghost 10, and Norton Save & Restore, you either restore from within Windows for partitions (aka--drives) other than the OS partition--or for the OS partition, you have to use the Symantec Recovery Disk, that allows you to boot to their WinPE (Pre-installation Environment) version to what they call the *Recovery Environment* from a bootable CD or DVD.

I see now that your link in the first post was to Ghost 10's trial version--see this link from that page:

Important Information for Download Customers

Was the *Recovery Disk .iso* so you can burn a copy of the *Symantec Recovery Disk* not included in your trial download?

It's possible that Symantec does not include that file in their trial version of Ghost 10--to force folks to purchase their product!

My goal is, I wanna burn backup from Norton Ghost 10 to CD/DVD, boot with the tutorial then recover my system Sad

And yes, the trial doesn't have the .ISO.

RR

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print