Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Can Ghost Do This For Me? (Read 4320 times)
kennedystephen
Ex Member

Can Ghost Do This For Me?
Nov 22nd, 2006 at 1:29pm

Basic question, but one I could not find a clear answer to in the FAQ. Will Ghost help me do the following?

I have 2 hd's that I would like to backup automatically via a weekly scheduled job. I would like to back them both up to a 3rd (large capacity) drive that has 2 correspondingly sized partitions - - all IDE, and all in the same computer.

I don't want to create drive images (.gho, .xyz). I want to have an exact duplicate (sector-by-sector?) of the 1st drive on the 1st partition of the 3rd drive, and an exact copy of the 2nd drive on the 2nd partition of the 3rd drive.

I cannot be in Windows to execute this backup. Windows would have to restart in some other mode to do this backup - - I want to reduce the risk of any files being locked by Windows services. Then, after it has completed the backup, reboot back into Windows mode.

#1. Will Ghost do this for me?
#2. Will Ghost do this for me easily?

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Re: Can Ghost Do This For Me?
Reply #1 - Nov 22nd, 2006 at 2:38pm

While you are waiting for a Ghost 2003 answer I'll add that Partition Magic will do this for you in about 6 mouse clicks. It's the easiest way to copy (clone) a partition.

PS  Just noticed that you wanted it scheduled. I don't know of any app that does scheduled partition copies in or outside of Windows.

IP Logged

kennedystephen
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Nov 22nd, 2006 at 2:43pm

Thanks, I will look into PartitionMagic. I thought it was just for resizing or merging partitions.

Off hand, do you know if PartitionMagic has a command line mode, so that I can run it outside of Windows?

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #3 - Nov 22nd, 2006 at 2:46pm

In case you missed it, see my PS.

I'm not sure about the command line mode but we use PM in DOS from the boot disks.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #4 - Nov 22nd, 2006 at 3:54pm

kennedystephen

What you're asking is do-able with Ghost 2003 and PartitionMagic.

Yes, PartitionMagic has a command line program that can work in Windows (PQBoot32.exe) and two that work in DOS (PQBoot.exe and PQBootTX.exe).

See this reference for *proof of concept*:

How to setup automated weekly ghost of running os

Dan Goodell's posting has the setup outlined.

I have set up such an automated system for a non-tech friend that requires a single click to create the backup--the batch file cycles through and saves that last 5 backups--deleting the oldest upon the next new backup (this can be adjusted to any number)--I have been monitoring the process to make sure there are no hidden problems--so far none!--I plan on posting it--but I haven't had time to work on the report yet!

I have it set up for *manually* starting the backup--but you could use Windows scheduling program to *automate* that too.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #5 - Nov 22nd, 2006 at 4:13pm

NightOwl, Dan's thread was about creating images. Are you saying the same technique can be used for copying partitions?

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #6 - Nov 22nd, 2006 at 5:26pm

Brian

I would recommend creating images--but Ghost 2003 (or other DOS based Ghost versions) will happily oblige to make cloned copies as well!

However you make a good point:

Quote:
I don't want to create drive images (.gho, .xyz). I want to have an exact duplicate (sector-by-sector?) of the 1st drive on the 1st partition of the 3rd drive, and an exact copy of the 2nd drive on the 2nd partition of the 3rd drive.

You will need a 4th drive to do what you have requested in the quote above!  Ghost can not create an exact copy of a *whole drive* to a partition--but can create a whole drive to a whole drive!  But, you can save a *whole drive* image to a partition!

kennedystephen

Why do you want a *sector-by-sector* clone--what advantage or requirement are you addressing?

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print