Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Ghost 2003 Hangs During NTFS Check (Read 7706 times)
Framed
Ex Member

Ghost 2003 Hangs During NTFS Check
Nov 25th, 2006 at 4:34pm

I've been working on this for a few days with no success. I have a Win2K machine that has a Promise Fastrak 2000 RAID controller and 2 Maxtor drives that are used in a stripe configuration. They are my C: Drive. It also has a Seagate drive that is used for storage. That is my D: Drive. I create a Boot floppy with Norton Ghost. Then I start the computer with said diskette. It goes into DOS mode and the drives are recognized and my CD and DVD writers are also recognized. BUT, when I start Ghost to begin copying the C: Drive image, it hangs at the "Checking NTFS Volume - Please Wait" stage. I left it for hours and it is definatly hung. Tried it with various switches including -NTC- and -NTIC and it just won't progress beyond that stage. The D: Drive which is not part of the RAID will image and work without any problem, so I'm convinced that it's the RAID controller. Anybody got any idea if this is possible or have I been wasting my time? I'd really appreciate any feedback. Thanks

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Re: Ghost 2003 Hangs During NTFS Check
Reply #1 - Nov 25th, 2006 at 5:27pm

Framed

*Technically--Symantec states that Ghost does not support RAID--although it often does.  More likely to work correctly with *mirror* RAID than *striped*.  Everyone has to test it on their system--you are experiencing the results.

Perhaps one of the switches here may help: 
Switches: Drive detection

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

Framed
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Nov 25th, 2006 at 8:15pm

Thanks for the post on switches. I'll try some different switches and see how it works out. At worst, maybe some poor soul can learn something from my experiences. If it doesn't work out, I can always turn a RAID stripe into a stripe / mirror. When I put this computer together, striping was the hot lick for video editing. It has worked well in that regard and I prefer not to condemn the array for the sake of Ghost.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #3 - Nov 25th, 2006 at 10:17pm

Framed

http://www.drivesnapshot.de/en/index.htm

Drive SnapShot is a very impressive imaging app that is compatible with all Windows RAID Methods. There is a 4 week trial period and maybe you could try it and let us know if it is satisfactory. I've used it a lot but not with RAID.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print