Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Restore to unformatted disc (Read 6865 times)
mrlarge
Dude

Restore to unformatted disc
Nov 25th, 2006 at 9:10pm

A couple of things I've read hear and elsewhere make me think I should be able to restore a partition to an unformatted disc, and, indeed, that it's the only way that the boot sector will be restored with my c:\ partition restore (just to re-emphasise, I'm restoring from partition, not disc, images).   Having conducted a low level format of the target drive, however, it is greyed out when I come to chose the disc to restore to in ghost (although I did agree when ghost asked me if it could mark the disc for use by ghost).

Have I misunderstood?  Do I have to fdisk first?  What's the minimum I have to do to the disc for ghost to be able to use it, and, specifically, make sure that the boot sector is restored with the root partition.

Apologies if this question is answered already, but I could seem to find it.

Thanks

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Re: Restore to unformatted disc
Reply #1 - Nov 25th, 2006 at 9:57pm

mrlarge,

http://radified.com/cgi-bin/YaBB/YaBB.cgi?board=general;action=display;num=11558...

It's a long thread but shows you can restore a partition image to Unallocated Space if a MBR is present. As you zeroed the HD you don't have a MBR and you don't have the option to restore the image.

If you use a Win98 boot disc, fdisk /mbr will create a MBR and you should then be able to restore your image. Try it and let us know.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #2 - Nov 25th, 2006 at 10:46pm

mrlarge

(First--Brian--thank you for remembering that reference above--I was trying to find it!)

I think it depends on which Ghost procedure you are attempting!  

If you are selecting *Local > Partition > From Image*--then the destination partition has to already exist--because Ghost will not alter the existing HDD layout if you are restoring only a partition to a partition (and that's what this procedure is for)--so if you have not already partitioned the HDD, there will be no partition to choose--so that *destination* HDD will not be selectable (greyed out)!

If you select *Local > Disk > from Image*--now you are telling Ghost to use the image to create both the disk structure (partition) and to restore the partition image--and Ghost will create the partition structure for you--as well as restore that partition to the disk--and it will create the MBR--even if you only imaged your single OS partition.  Your image can be of a single OS partition, or an image of a multi-partitioned HDD--you will have to select the single partition after selecting the image file if there are more than one partition in the image--or you could select more than one partition to restore if that's what you wanted.  You are going to get a screen asking what size you want Ghost to make the partition(s) on the HDD--regardless of whether the HDD is larger or smaller than the original size of the partition(s) you imaged--you can adjust the size to be larger or smaller as long as the data will fit.  The *default* will be to use the *whole* HDD, but if you make the partition smaller, then the unused (unallocated) space can be partitioned to your liking later after you boot to your OS or use some other DOS tool to do additional partitioning.

So, it's not whether you created an image that was a *whole disk* image, but rather how you tell Ghost you want to restore the image.  If it's your intention to restore only the one partition to a specific place, then that place needs to already exist.

Hopefully this makes sense--try the two different options to see the different behavior of Ghost--you will not have made any changes to the HDD until you click *Proceed with...* the procedure you have set up.  So you can look at the setup all you want to see what it looks like until that final command!

If you select *Local > Disk > From Image*, then your HDD should not be *greyed out* as a destination.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #3 - Nov 25th, 2006 at 10:56pm

NightOwl wrote on Nov 25th, 2006 at 10:46pm:
If you are selecting *Local > Partition > From Image*--then the destination partition has to already exist--

NightOwl,

http://radified.com/cgi-bin/YaBB/YaBB.cgi?board=general;action=display;num=11558...

I restored to Unallocated Space. I'm pretty sure I chose Local > Partition > From Image.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #4 - Nov 26th, 2006 at 12:58am

NightOwl, I getting flying time on Ghost 2003 now.

My master HD was WinXP and a data partition. This afternoon I imaged the WinXP partition to the data partition with Ghost 2003. I deleted the partitions from the slave HD, booted to Ghost 2003 and chose Local > Partition > From Image. It worked.

I then deleted the partition on the slave HD and zeroed absolute sector 0 with DE. With Ghost 2003 I tried Local > Partition > From Image. It didn't work as the Unallocated Space was greyed out.

I made the slave HD a master and ran fdisk /mbr. Checked with DE and there was a MBR. The HD was made a slave again. I looked at it with PM and there was a 8 GB primary NTFS partition and 12 GB of Unallocated Space. I've no idea where the primary partition came from after fdisk /mbr. I deleted the partition so the HD was all Unallocated Space.

Using Ghost 2003 I chose Local > Partition > From Image. It worked.

Interesting.

IP Logged

mrlarge
Dude

Reply #5 - Nov 26th, 2006 at 5:46am

This is indeed correct.  The biggest problem is ensuring that the disk to be MBR'd is the "first" disc in the computer, as I have not found a way to specify the destination with fdisk /mbr, and going into fdisk, changing the current hard drive, exiting fdisk and then running fdisk /mbr doesn't work. So disconnect as many hard drives as necessary so that the blank disk is the default disc when fdisk is run, then run fdisk /mbr and then go back into fdisk and delete the resultant partition, and you have a blank disc which ghost will restore to from a PARTITION image.

Problems, apart from fdisk issue above: unsurprisingly, I guess, the MBR is not restored (don't know if it's actually saved with a C:\ partition image), and the only parameter ghost allows you to set for the new partition is the size: partition type is taken from the partition image, as is the volume name.  This might not always be a problem, except if one had planned to change an extended to a primary partition, say.

Thanks for the advice.

If anyone knows of an easier way to make an MBR, that might be helpful.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #6 - Nov 26th, 2006 at 1:32pm

mrlarge,

As you found, fdisk /mbr only works on the master HD. I tried TeraByte's MBRWork and it does allow you to write boot code to any of your HDs.

http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/utilities.html

I tried this after having deleted absolute sector 0 from the slave HD.

From MBRWork  I chose #7 (Change active hard drive)
choose HD number to get slave HD
#5 (Install standard MBR code)
#3 (Just set the bootable flag)
Yes
#7 (Change active HD)
Drive 0
Exit

Ghost will now work with this HD to restore an image.

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Reply #7 - Nov 26th, 2006 at 1:54pm

mrlarge wrote on Nov 26th, 2006 at 5:46am:
"... If anyone knows of an easier way to make an MBR, that might be helpful..."

I noticed that three current Ghost-related products have an executable entitled
RestoreMBR.exe
, i.e, Norton Ghost 10.0, Norton Save & Restore and the Symantec Recovery Disk included with Norton SystemWorks 2006 Premier.  I wonder what it actually does.

EP
Cry

BTW mrlarge,check your Private Messages Shocked

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #8 - Nov 26th, 2006 at 2:54pm

mrlarge

Quote:
If anyone knows of an easier way to make an MBR, that might be helpful.

I repeat--from my *reply #2 above*:

Quote:
If you select *
Local > Disk > from Image
*--now you are telling Ghost to use the image to create both the disk structure (partition) and to restore the partition image--and Ghost will create the partition structure for you--as well as restore that partition to the disk--
and it will create the MBR
--even if you only imaged your single OS partition.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #9 - Nov 26th, 2006 at 3:12pm

Brian

The results of your tests in reply #4 above are similar to my results that I reported in this thread, reply #41:  
Restoring OS only image to new HDD

Quote:
then the destination partition has to already exist--because Ghost will not alter the existing HDD layout if you are restoring only a partition to a partition (and that's what this procedure is for)

Re-thinking--the above statement is not accurate--what it should say is:

*if a MBR and Partition Table already exist on a HDD--even if the Partition Table simply states that the HDD has no partitions (i.e.--the whole drive has *unallocated space*), then Ghost can use *Local > Partition > From Image* and Ghost will either create a partition in unallocated space, or if the partition already exists, and you select it as the destination--it will over-write that partition with the image restore.

If, on the other hand, you have a HDD who's absolute 0 sector is blank--i.e. no MBR or Partition Table, then *Local > Partition > From Image* will not work--and the destination HDD will be greyed out!  You must use *Local > Disk > from Image* in this case in order to be able to select that HDD to create the needed MBR and partition structure (i.e. partition table) to restore that image!*

Quote:
I made the slave HD a master and ran fdisk /mbr. Checked with DE and there was a MBR. The HD was made a slave again. I looked at it with PM and there was a 8 GB primary NTFS partition and 12 GB of Unallocated Space. I've no idea where the primary partition came from after fdisk /mbr.

Hmmm...gota wonder where that 8 GB primary NTFS came from--computers  Wink --gota love 'em!

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #10 - Nov 26th, 2006 at 3:15pm

NightOwl wrote on Nov 26th, 2006 at 3:12pm:
If, on the other hand, you have a HDD who's absolute 0 sector is blank--i.e. no MBR or Partition Table, then *Local > Partition > From Image* will not work--and the destination HDD will be greyed out!  You must use *Local > Disk > from Image* in this case in order to be able to select that HDD to create the needed MBR and partition structure (i.e. partition table) to restore that image!*

NightOwl, I missed that point too in your earlier post. You are correct, as usual.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print