Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Gulp!  Ghost 2003 Question (Read 4491 times)
artesian79
Gnarly

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Gulp!  Ghost 2003 Question
Nov 26th, 2006 at 9:31pm

I  made a Ghost 2003 Disk to CD partition and forgot to select MS-DOS.  The CD's won't work of course on my system and I pitched them. 

I then inserted a floppy with MS-DOS and changed the option in Ghost 2003 to use MS-DOS.  I wasn't sure if the floppy was needed as it was in Ghost 2002 or not.

I went through another Disk to CD copy, but when the system shut down to do its reboot I ended up with only an A:> prompt.  Hmmm, so I decided that it didn't seem to want to read the MS-DOS from the floppy and perhaps Ghost 2003 had its own copy.  I removed the floppy and rebooted expecting to see the  Ghost screen to eventually appear.  The system never boots though and no OS is found.

(Insert Gulp here.)  ???

I've attached the boot drive as a primary on the secondary channel with a clone of the drive as the primary/primary (boot).  When I look at the now secondary drive disk manager says it is healthy, but I do see a new partition - VPSGHBOOT.  I've searched here, but can't find what this is. 

Does anyone know what I need to do to get the process going - or perhaps cancelled if necessary so that I can boot from the original boot disk?

Thanks!

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Re: Gulp!  Ghost 2003 Question
Reply #1 - Nov 26th, 2006 at 10:31pm

artesian79

Quote:
I  made a Ghost 2003 Disk to CD partition and forgot to select MS-DOS.  The CD's won't work of course on my system

Well, that's another issue...but one that should be explored--but later...

Let's see if we can help with the *gulp* first!

Quote:
but I do see a new partition - VPSGHBOOT

That would be Ghost's *virtual partition*--it is created only if you use and setup your Ghost procedure using the Windows Ghost GUI.  And it would appear you are *trapped* in it!

Here's some references that hopefully will help:

How to use GhReboot

(Edit by NightOwl, 11/27/2006 at approx. 7:40 am:  The above FAQ by Symantec appears to have an error in its instructions.  It looks as though the steps for using a floppy boot disk has the same instructions, steps 2 through 4, as using the Ghost 2003 installation CD disc!

Quote:
To run GhReboot from a bootable floppy disk

1.  Insert the bootable floppy disk into the drive, and then start the computer.
    --If you used a Ghost Standard Boot Disk, you may see a Ghost menu. Choose Quit to exit to a DOS command prompt.
    --If you used a Windows 98 Startup Disk, you see a menu. Choose the option that opens a DOS command prompt.

2.  Insert the Norton Ghost 2003 CD into the CD/DVD drive.

3.  Type E:\support\ghreboot.exe
    --If you are using the Norton SystemWorks CD, the file location is E:\Support\Ghost\ghreboot.exe.
    --Use the drive letter of your CD/DVD drive in place of E:.

4.  Press the Enter key and remove the Norton Ghost 2003 CD from the drive.

What the instructions should have said:

1-1.  After downloading and saving *ghreboot.exe* to your Desktop, copy the file to a formatted floppy disk.

1-2.  Same as *1* above.

2.  Once booted and at the A:\ prompt, remove the boot floppy disk, and place the floppy disk with *ghreboot.exe* into the floppy drive.

3.  Type
ghreboot.exe
and press enter.

4.  Remove the floppy disk with *ghreboot.exe* and re-boot the system.)

(Yikes!--Now I'm re-writing Symantec's FAQ for them  Roll Eyes ! )

Cannot start Windows after starting a Ghost 2003 task from Windows

How to restart the computer into Windows if a problem is encountered after running Ghost 2003

If the above *automated GhReboot* does not work, check this thread on how to use the Symantec Ghost DOS command line partitioning program, *gdisk*, as to how to manually change the active partition back to your original partition:

Ghost 2003 -operating system not found

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

artesian79
Gnarly

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #2 - Nov 27th, 2006 at 8:43am

Thanks so much NightOwl.  The GhReboot "saved" me.

The system is a Dell with the most recent BIOS.  I'd posted here about trying to use Ghost 2002 before the 2003 arrived and found out that PC DOS didn't work for me - only MS DOS.

I'll go dig up instructions on getting MS DOS in the image.  I thought setting the option as the default would do it, but something went wrong.

I looked through all the links you sent and noticed that Ghost will sometimes have problems if a disk has a utility partition and this one does.  I was only trying to image the primary partition not the whole disk so I'm not sure if that might be the problem.

Has anyone here used Ghost 2003 to "Image to CD" a Dell Dimension 3000?

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #3 - Nov 27th, 2006 at 9:20am

artesian79

Quote:
Has anyone here used Ghost 2003 to "Image to CD" a Dell Dimension 3000?

If you use Ghost 2003 from a DOS boot floppy or CD disc, and avoid the virtual partition, I think you can use Ghost 2003 without problems.

Here's some references about the Dell partitions and how to back them up, etc.:

Dan Goodell's *Inside the Dell PC Restore Partition*

Dan Goodell's *Inside the Dell Utility Partition*

Re: Ghost and PC Restore on Dell

Ghost and PC Restore on Dell

Ghost 9 copy drive probs

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print