Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Top 20 Internet Security Attack Targets (Read 5304 times)
Pleonasm
Übermensch

Top 20 Internet Security Attack Targets
Nov 27th, 2006 at 3:55pm

It’s that time of year when lists are in vogue . . . .

See Top 20 Internet Security Attack Targets for a listing of the key vulnerabilities uncovered in 2006.

ple • o • nasm n. “The use of more words than are required to express an idea”

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Newport Beach, California

Re: Top 20 Internet Security Attack Targets
Reply #1 - Nov 27th, 2006 at 4:23pm

quotes:

If you are using Internet Explorer on your system, the best way to remain secure is to upgrade to Windows XP Service Pack 2. The improved operating system security and Windows Firewall will help mitigate risk.

For those unable to use Windows XP with Service Pack 2, it is strongly recommended that another browser be used.

It is also recommended to upgrade to version 7 of Internet Explorer, which provides improved security over previous versions. The latest version of Internet Explorer, IE7, is being distributed by Microsoft as a Critical Update (KB926874)

----------------------------------------------

I just upgraded to IE v7 this weekend. I like it. Only one IE crash so far.

IP Logged

MrMagoo
Übermensch

Resident Linux Guru

Phoenix, AZ (USA)

Reply #2 - Nov 27th, 2006 at 9:15pm

Nothing really new there.  The threats are the same as they've been ever since Windows XP was realeased.  Still, it's a good list for people who don't know the basics about computer security.  Good find Pleo.

IP Logged

ben_mott
Nuclear Grade

Reply #3 - Nov 29th, 2006 at 3:17pm

dreamPack:

This tool give full access to Windows 2000/XP. DreamPackPL do not change/overwrite old passwords, thereforeEFS encrypted files will be still readable.

http://www.911cd.net/forums//index.php?showtopic=6228

the best thing to do is  have your server in a locked room
as with DREAM PACK PL and KNOPPIX it is very easy to read files from Xp or even Server 2003 Quickly and easily.
and  certainly do not carry all data base in EFS files on laptop and take it home on the TUBE (or TAXI) as it was the case with few JAMES BONDS and bankers )  007 008 etc who caused great panic in the local papers
and the official answer was oh that is ok  they are encrypted.

Regards Ben
Smiley

IP Logged

Pleonasm
Übermensch

Reply #4 - Nov 29th, 2006 at 4:45pm

Ben_mott, the description of the tool is rather succinct.  Are you saying that it allows a user to bypass both the Windows XP login password and to bypass EFS (encrypted file system) passwords?  Have you confirmed that the tool actually performs as advertised?

I am incredulous, especially about the EFS claim.

ple • o • nasm n. “The use of more words than are required to express an idea”

IP Logged

ben_mott
Nuclear Grade

Reply #5 - Nov 30th, 2006 at 2:27pm

http://www.911cd.net/forums//index.php?s=a95c52ee0ee4575fc9ad9d02410f75b7&showto...
http://www.911cd.net/forums//index.php?s=a95c52ee0ee4575fc9ad9d02410f75b7&showto...
the author of the software Damian says :
I have made few tests with EFS files. In winXP EFS files are indeed unreadable, but in win2000 i can read encrypted files.

Current version of DreamPackPL modify only 16-byte (128 bit MD5 or MD4 hash) comparisons that are responsible for local authentication. I have found information that there is another one 24-byte comparison responsible for network authentication. Next version of DreamPackPL will be patch also this comparison.

I have no reason to doubt the author Damian he says it works with 2000
I have not tested it on 2003 server ie with EFS files .
His web site when is connected seem to be all about encryption software , i think he turnes his web server off when he is out or goes to sleep, it seems to be intermitant; one day is on next day is off.
http://www.911cd.net/forums//index.php?showtopic=6228&st=71

regards Ben
Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print