Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Ghost Hijacked My HD(resolved) but have a question (Read 7839 times)
Mingfu
N00b

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Ghost Hijacked My HD(resolved) but have a question
Nov 28th, 2006 at 2:06pm

So Ghost 2003 hijacked my HD while I was trying to create an image from windows. Booted back up in dos, created the little -VPSGHBOOT- partition, and then proceeded to hang whenever it tried to lost ghost.exe

I resolved it the good old fashioned way, but then today I learned about ghreboot.exe

Anyways, still have a question. Anyone know why Ghost went buggy? Or how to avoid this sort of thing in the future? Right now we're creating images from the ghost console in windows. I saw on another forum someone mention that ghosting from a boot disk will avoid this problem. Is that true?

Thanks

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Re: Ghost Hijacked My HD(resolved) but have a ques
Reply #1 - Nov 28th, 2006 at 11:55pm

Mingfu

Quote:
Anyone know why Ghost went buggy?

It's not clear *why*--most likely there's a compatibility issue with hardware (SATA controller, optical drive, etc.), and once in DOS, when Ghost encounters an error, Ghost fails to follow the *script* created for running the Ghost process in the *virtual partition*, and gets *lost*--and does not complete the *script* to re-set the MBR, and boot back to Windows!

Quote:
I saw on another forum someone mention that ghosting from a boot disk will avoid this problem. Is that true?

Yes, but you may still have to trouble shoot the hardware compatibility issue--if there is one.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

Mingfu
N00b

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #2 - Nov 29th, 2006 at 7:56am

NightOwl

Thanks. Another quick question. I could have sworn I read somewhere that when Ghost launches from the Virtual Partition it is only able to create and restore images but not write error logs. Is that true? or did my memory fail me.

Also, do you know if a similar such issue exist for Ghost 9/10? We're trying to evaluate which version of Ghost is best for our office. Prior to the Virtual Partition issue, Ghost 2003 was the winner based on speed.

Thanks.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #3 - Nov 29th, 2006 at 9:12am

Mingfu

Quote:
I could have sworn I read somewhere that when Ghost launches from the Virtual Partition it is only able to create and restore images but not write error logs.

The *ghosterr.txt* file is written to the current directory that Ghost was launched from.  So if it is saved to the *virtual partition*, it will be lost when one boots back to the normal Windows partition.  You might be able to *see* that file in one of two ways--

1.  you can use a Ghost switch (*-afile*) to launch Ghost with a re-direct of the *ghosterr.txt* file to another destination that DOS has access to--could be another FAT16 or FAT32 partition, or a floppy drive if a formatted floppy is in it--quoting from the Ghost 2003 User Manual, page 202:

Quote:
The Norton Ghost abort error file is generated when Norton Ghost detects an
erroneous condition that Norton Ghost is unable to recover from or work
around. The Ghosterr.txt file is generated in the current directory. If this location
is read-only, the Ghosterr.txt file output location should be redirected. The
location and file name of the abort file generated by Norton Ghost during an
abort can be altered using the
-afile=drive:\path\filename
command-line switch.

2.  you could launch Ghost from Windows using the *Ghost Advanced/Run Ghost Interactively* mode--I've not done this myself for this purpose, so I don't know if it will work--but, now you may not get *automatically* re-booted out of the *virtual partition* until you elect to--and if you return to the A:\ prompt (or maybe it's the C:\ prompt--haven't done this in awhile so don't remember)--you could probably have access to the *ghosterr.txt* file if it has been generated--use the directory command *dir* to see if the file is there!

If you are *trapped in the virtual partition*--you might be able to look for the *ghosterr.txt* file with a copy of *edit.com*, a DOS text editor, on a floppy disk using DOS commands.

Also, you can look at the Windows Ghost interface--under *Ghost Basic/View Log*--you will find the Windows based Ghost 2003's error log here--but probably only if Ghost successfully booted back to Windows from the *virtual partition*!

Quote:
Also, do you know if a similar such issue exist for Ghost 9/10?

Ghost 9/10 function completely differently from Ghost 2003--they must run from within Windows and do not have the same functional capabilities of the DOS based Ghost programs--but the *virtual partition* is no longer an issue.

There is a functional version of Ghost 8.xx's Windows based Ghost on the Ghost 10 Recovery Disk, that boots to a Windows PE environment, using this utility--*Recover > Recover Data on My Computer > Recover using a legacy Ghost image*--it is the Corporate version of Ghost 8, a 32-bit version that runs only under an active Windows OS, but has all the same functionality you are accustom to with Ghost 2003 in DOS--except you can not image the current OS partition that you are running the program from (but, if you are running it from the boot CD Recovery Disk, then you can image the OS that's on the HDD)--and saving images to optical media is disabled.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print