Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
HELP - Not seeing internal drives (Read 10045 times)
Golferdude1977
Ex Member

HELP - Not seeing internal drives
Nov 29th, 2006 at 7:08am

I have a Dell Dimension 8400, 2 - 250 gb drives, 3 gb ram, 2 - dvd burners internally.  Then I bought 2 - 300 gb external drives, USB connection to use for backups.

The 2 - 250 gb drives are set up as a Raid 0 system. I then used Partition Magic 8.0 to set up three partitions, one for the programs, one for the data, and one for my pictures.  My thought was then to use the external drives to back up to.  One being a complete backup and the other 300gb drive for my pictures.   

I was able to do a backup of my entire drive.  I also did a backup of just my pictures, which is the "G" drive.  But now when I go into Ghost, it doesn't see my internal drives.  I get a message "6C8F1C25...contains invalid drives".   I am not sure what I need to do.  Does anyone know?   Thanks.

Undecided

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Re: HELP - Not seeing internal drives
Reply #1 - Nov 29th, 2006 at 9:53am

Quote:
"... But now when I go into
Ghost
, it doesn't see my internal drives..."

Which version of
Ghost
, i.e., Ver 2003, Ver 8.n, Ver 9 or Ver 10?

EP
Cry

IP Logged

Golferdude1977
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Nov 29th, 2006 at 1:27pm

Sorry...Ghost 10.0

I am thinking about going away from the Raid setup and using one larger hard drive for my files, programs, but using Partition magic like I am now.  I use Photoshop CS/2 mainly and it likes a scratch disk on a physically separate drive.  So I am thinking about doing that, which may or may not help out here.  Thanks..

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Reply #3 - Nov 29th, 2006 at 2:35pm

Quote:
"... Ghost 10.0..."

You certainly have come to the right board, but regrettably my forte' is "cold-imaging" Ghost variations and troubleshooting external HDDs.  I suspect a "hot-imaging" dude will be along shortly.

EP
Cry

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Reply #4 - Nov 29th, 2006 at 5:26pm

Quote:
"... I have a Dell Dimension 8400, 2 - 250 gb drives, 3 gb ram, 2 - dvd burners internally.  Then I bought 2 - 300 gb external drives, USB connection to use for backups..."

I am assuming both internal 250Gb HDDs are SATA, and your twin DVD burners have a monopoly on your single IDE connection.  Although USB 2.0 or FireWire are widely used for external HDDs, there is a
"third-way", i.e., tap either of your two spare SATA ports to route a one-meter SATA cable to an external enclosure kit outfitted with a SATA HDD.  Be advised that although this third SATA HDD has its own power supply and is located externally, your Dimension 8400 will regard it as an internal system device to the extent you could conceivably appoint it as your MASTER HDD.

EP
Cry

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #5 - Nov 29th, 2006 at 6:34pm

Quote:
I have a Dell Dimension 8400

Same as my previous computer but I didn't have RAID.

So Ghost 10 worked for a while and now doesn't. My first thought would be to restore the C: drive recovery point image taken when Ghost 10 was working. That's what I do when I can't easily find an answer to a problem.

Otherwise you could try uninstalling and reinstalling Ghost 10 and if that doesn't work, try changing DEP. Try the one you aren't using.

Quote:
To modify the DEP policy in Windows

1. On the Windows taskbar, click Start > Control Panel.
   2. Double-click System.
   3. On the Advanced tab, under Performance, click Settings.
   4. On the Data Execution Prevention tab, check Turn on DEP for    all programs and services except those I select.
   5. Click OK to save the change.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print