Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
Ghost 9 Wont support Intel RAID? (Read 48616 times)
L0KI
Gnarly

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Ghost 9 Wont support Intel RAID?
Dec 3rd, 2006 at 10:08am

Hi All!,

About two years ago now I bought Ghost 9 from Symantec.  At the time it was the latest and greatest.

I had a system back then that was built around an Nforce 4 ASUS motherboard using the Nvidia RAID controler.  I never could get GHOST to work (even with Symantec technical support on the job).  Ghost would never recognize the RAID array in recovery mode, so I had to give up.

Fast forward to this week... I just upgraded my hardware and built a rig based on the INTEL X975XBX2.  I'm using the Intel Matrix storage Technology (onboard RAID controler).

I cant get that to work either!  I BOOT into recovery mode off of the CD, I hit F6 and enter the floppy with the Intel RAID drivers, all seems well.  I browse to my Image file (whicj is on a DVD) but then there is no hard drive to pick.  The recovery environment wont see my C: drive.

So does Ghost just not support RAID?  Was this purchase just a complete waste of money?

I am Running
XP Home SP2
E6700 on a X975XBX2 mobo
X1859XT Radeon
Intel RAID 0 set on 2 10K WD Raptors

Hope someone can help!

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Re: Ghost 9 Wont support Intel RAID?
Reply #1 - Dec 3rd, 2006 at 11:06am

L0KI

1.  When you boot to the Ghost 9 Recovery Environment and using the F6 to load the drivers from the floppy--can you follow this path that takes you to the *Ghost32 v8.2* program--*Recover > Recover Data on My Computer > Recover using a legacy Ghost image*.

Once there, click on *Local > Check > Image File*, which will take you to a screen for browsing to find any image on the system.  In the drop-down box listed as *Look in:*--does your RAID HDD show up there?

2.  Can you boot from your WinXP installation disc--does it find your RAID HDD without using the F6?

Or, if you need to use the F6--does it then find your RAID HDD after providing the drivers using F6?

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

L0KI
Gnarly

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #2 - Dec 3rd, 2006 at 1:51pm

Thanks Night Owl for the Reply..

Not sure that I followed you about the path thing, but here goes...

I boot to recovery environment (From a CD), and I get the screen below

Then I go th the Advanced Recovery Menu, pick utilities and get the screen below

When I pick restore Legacy Ghost Image it takes me to the screen below.

Then I proceed thru the menus >Local >Disk >Browse and as you can see in the screen below I *CAN* see my C: drive

Not sure what all this means but I also tested this in Ghost 9.0 by proceeding thru the menus to retore an image and *COULD ALSO* see my C: drive (the RAID 0) as shown below.

Everything seems to be fine until I attempt to pick my Ghost image file from the cd/DVD drive (replacing the recovery disk with the DVD containing the image) and I get the error shown below.

I hope this is the info you were after NightOwl. 

Any help much appreciated!

Thanks
Loki

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #3 - Dec 3rd, 2006 at 1:58pm

L0KI,

After providing NightOwl's information could you look in Device Manage, IDE ATA/ATAPI Controller and let us know which controller you have. Mine is 82801 GR/GH SATA AHCI.

Also, do a search in C:\Windows and let us know the version of iastor.sys. There may be a backup one as well.

It's likely that you just aren't using the correct Intel drivers. My Dell 9150 works with Intel floppy drivers 5.1.0.1022 but not with any of the newer drivers even though my controller is mentioned in the txtsetup.oem.

PS  I just saw your post (above) and you can now see your HD.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #4 - Dec 3rd, 2006 at 2:06pm

LOKI, a quick question. Did you click "Browse" before swapping discs. I think that's what you are supposed to do.

IP Logged

L0KI
Gnarly

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #5 - Dec 3rd, 2006 at 2:40pm

Thanks Brian,

I can see the HD, but I always could on the Browse for image screen....

And yes I did hit the browse button before switching CD's.

As far as the version of drivers I'm using, I'm using the ones right off of the floppy provided with the mobo.... The same ones I used to F6 and load the OS when I initially built my system.

As far as the ATAPI controller... lemme look quick BRB!

IP Logged

L0KI
Gnarly

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #6 - Dec 3rd, 2006 at 2:46pm

Brian,

Here's the scoop on the ATAPI controller...

IP Logged

L0KI
Gnarly

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #7 - Dec 3rd, 2006 at 2:51pm

Brian,

regarding the version of IaStor..

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #8 - Dec 3rd, 2006 at 2:55pm

L0KI

When you click the *browse* button, in the *browse* window, how is your optical drive listed--i.e. what drive letter is listed?

Does the Ghost RE instruct you to eject the boot CD, and put your optical disc with your Ghost image files into the drive?

Quoting from the Ghost 9 User Guide:

Quote:
To restore a backup image that is located
on disc media, browse to the CD or DVD
drive and folder where the backup
image is located.
Make sure the media is
in the drive before clicking Browse

I think you need to put your Ghost image media in the drive before clicking on *browse*--and give the disc time to spin up before hitting the button.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

L0KI
Gnarly

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #9 - Dec 3rd, 2006 at 3:43pm

Nope that wont work...  As Brian had mentioned you need to leave the RE CD in the drive until after you hit the Browse button, or you'll get an error that asks you to put it back in and retry.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #10 - Dec 3rd, 2006 at 4:10pm

NightOwl, I checked the Ghost 9 userguide and your quote applies to the situation when restoring an image from Windows, not from the RE.

I'll try the RE and a DVD now as I haven't used a DVD for a few years.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #11 - Dec 3rd, 2006 at 4:39pm

LOKI,

I clicked Browse, swapped discs and almost immediately received a popup window titled Open. A lot of text but basically.. "the location is unavailable". It was different from your error. I clicked OK but it popped up a few more times and then I was able to see all of my drives including the DVD. Your error looks more serious.

Can you copy your image to a hard drive? What is your restore plan? Was the image created before you upgraded your hardware?

IP Logged

L0KI
Gnarly

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #12 - Dec 3rd, 2006 at 5:36pm

Just for kicks I tried copying the image file ( .v2i ) to an external IDE connected via USB.  The ghost 9.0 RE sees this drive and labels it D:  (BTW it also sees my C: drive at this stage as I mentioned before) but as soon as I pick the image file I get the same error as before.

"ERROR: EC950001"

So I did a quick google on it and the Ghost 10 user manual actualy has an entry in the troubleshooting section with this code that says the following...

"This error occurs when the driver for the storage
controller does not load in Symantec Recovery Disk.
Restart the computer using Symantec Recovery Disk and
press F6 to load the necessary drivers."

Seems odd though since I can actually see and browse my C: drive in the RE?!?!

IP Logged

L0KI
Gnarly

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #13 - Dec 3rd, 2006 at 5:37pm

Any chance anyone from Symantec ever visits here?

IP Logged

L0KI
Gnarly

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #14 - Dec 3rd, 2006 at 5:41pm

Also quite a few hits on this error code on the WinPE forums in the link...

http://www.911cd.net/forums//index.php?showtopic=7089&hl=ec950001

Not sure if its a coincidence or not....

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print