Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Ghost 9 Wont support Intel RAID? (Read 48624 times)
Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Re: Ghost 9 Wont support Intel RAID?
Reply #15 - Dec 3rd, 2006 at 5:44pm

L0KI wrote on Dec 3rd, 2006 at 5:36pm:
the Ghost 10 user manual actualy has an entry in the troubleshooting section with this code that says the following...

"This error occurs when the driver for the storage
controller does not load in Symantec Recovery Disk.
Restart the computer using Symantec Recovery Disk and
press F6 to load the necessary drivers."

Seems odd though since I can actually see and browse my C: drive in the RE?!?!

I think that is odd too.

Here is another discussion..

http://radified.com/cgi-bin/YaBB/YaBB.cgi?board=general;action=display;num=11196...

You are probably ready for a ReatogoXPE CD.

http://radified.com/cgi-bin/YaBB/YaBB.cgi?board=general;action=display;num=11192...

http://radified.com/cgi-bin/YaBB/YaBB.cgi?board=general;action=display;num=11192...

ReatogoXPE handles the SATA drivers better than Ghost 9.

IP Logged

MLBar
Dude

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #16 - Dec 3rd, 2006 at 8:28pm

For what its worth, Symantec Document ID: 2006032908034562
says that Norton Ghost 9.0 supports  *hardware* RAID levels 0 and 5.

Norton Save & Restore and Norton Ghost 10.0 support *hardware* RAID levels 0, 1 (which I have), and 5.

Software RAID systems are not supported.  Another Symantec document related to the earlier versions of Ghost (2003, 8.2) states flatly that RAID drive systems are not supported by Norton Ghost.  "De-RAIDed" systems (de-linked RAID drives) are also not supported.

Current versions of Norton GoBack also unsupported on RAID drive systems.

RAID stands for Redundant Array of inexpensive/independent disks, a technology that allows a server to lose a drive and still remain functional using redundant data stored on another drive or location while the defective drive is being replaced.  For more information see the RAID topic at the Wikipedia.

For my own use at home, I now think I would prefer having a high-quality simple primary drive with Ghost backup to a large inexpensive external USB drive instead of a redundant array of inexpensive internal units.

I hope this is helpful.

MLB

IP Logged

L0KI
Gnarly

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #17 - Dec 3rd, 2006 at 10:57pm

@Brian:

What exactly is  "ReatoGoXP"?  And how would it help?  It looks like a bootable environment of some sort?

@MLBar:

I read your thread from last summer... Much like my ordeal it sounds like.  Unfortunately for me it looks like your answer was found in using a different version of driver for your RAID array.  Not sure if I will have that luck.

I also found Symantechs tech support to border on insulting.  And Yes my RAID is hardware based... Controller is built right into the mobo.

I guess like yourself, in trying to build a state of the art system I have been bitten because I have a RAID sytem that is also SATA Sad

@Everyone:

Could anyone suggest a program that will do what ghost is supposed to do but work better?

IP Logged

L0KI
Gnarly

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #18 - Dec 4th, 2006 at 12:00am

Hello All,

I *may* be on to something... It's tenuous, but it's all I got right now!

So, could someone please tell me how to take an ISO file and extract it, then re-create an ISO file again from what I just extracted?  So that the ISO makes a bootable CD?

I know that Winrar will open ISO's

And I knoe that I can use Nero to create an ISO from files, but when I burn a CD using that method it doesn't seem to be bootable?

Help?

IP Logged

L0KI
Gnarly

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #19 - Dec 4th, 2006 at 9:27am

Anyone.... Anyone.... Buehler?

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #20 - Dec 4th, 2006 at 9:46am

L0KI

IsoBuster

MagicISO

UltraISO

Not sure what you need to do, but one of the above should be able to help.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

L0KI
Gnarly

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #21 - Dec 4th, 2006 at 10:25am

OK Fellow Ghost refugees Smiley !

Here's the last ditch strategy.....

Some of the articles on this error that I've run across pointed to the fact that the F6 process was fraught with problems and that if the drivers you needed were actually *ON* the RE CD they would work.  (as opposed to loading the exact same drivers via the F6 process.)  This phenomenon was noticed by some guys who were fighting this same bug when trying to using the Nvidia RAID controllers in NForce 4 mobos.

So here was my thought.  I purchased Ghost 9.0 online so I downloaded an ISO that I burned to a CD to install and use.  

I still have the ISO.  

I used WinRar to look inside it and noticed that there is a big folder called OEM Drivers under I386/system32/drivers/.

In that folder of OEM drivers a is one for INTEL SATA.

In that folder are drivers for the older version of Intels SATA controllers.

My plan is to extract my stock ghost ISO and then replace the drivers in the INTEL SATA folder with the correct ones that came with my mobo, and then recreate the ISO and reburn it a CD.   I would then boot to this CD in the RE and try my luck.

I've been able to accomplish above but the CD I end up with is not bootable anymore so I must be missing something?

Help?

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #22 - Dec 4th, 2006 at 10:38am

L0KI

Using UltraISO, put your bootable CD in your drive, then use the menu item *File* and choose *Open CD/DVD*--does the *Imgage* info box say *Bootable*?

You might then have to use *Tools* and select *Make CD/DVD Image...* to create an Iso file.  Manipulate that and then reload into UltraISO--still say *bootable*?

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

mustang
Dude

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #23 - Dec 4th, 2006 at 12:32pm

Hi LOKI,

You need a file called bootsect.bin to make your iso bootable. More on where to find it will follow later in this post. In Nero 6 it's a little tricky to do. In the Make Bootable CD dialog go to the Boot tab. In the Source of boot image data section choose "Image file". Point it to the file bootsect.bin. Now enable expert settings. Change kind of emulator to "No Emulation". Change number of boot sectors loaded to 4. On the ISO tab, use data mode "Mode 1". Change file system to "ISO 9660:1999".  Now click the "New" button and select your modified Recovery CD files. Now click the Burn button. Your disk should boot.

Before you try this ,please take time out to try the method of adding drivers to the Recovery CD I posted yesterday. I've never tried it in a situation like yours where there is an existing older driver on the Recovery CD. Please let me know if it works. If it doesn't work, you will find the file you need (bootsect.bin) in the folder C:\pebuilder\BartPE. This folder will only appear after you have done your first build with pebuilder.exe so your time will not have been wasted.

Good luck.

IP Logged

L0KI
Gnarly

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #24 - Dec 4th, 2006 at 1:26pm

Thanks Mustang!

A couple of quick questions.....

1)  I have a *really* old cut (CD) of XP Home.  It's at SP0.  Will this work or will or do I have to go out and fork out the dosh for a new cut thats at SP2?

2) If I do need an SP2 CD is I think I remember a method of getting a new CD from an old and icluding updated files... I think it was called "Slipstream" or something like that.  Do you know anything about this proceedure?

IP Logged

mustang
Dude

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #25 - Dec 4th, 2006 at 2:11pm

You do need SP2. Visit http://www.reatogo.de for complete instuctions and download links for slipstreaming.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #26 - Dec 4th, 2006 at 2:54pm

LOKI, fortunately this has already been done. If you make a ReatogoXPE CD containing the Ghost 9 plugin it's likely you will have a functioning recovery environment. You can now create Ghost images from Windows without errors and all you need is a recovery environment.

IP Logged

L0KI
Gnarly

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #27 - Dec 4th, 2006 at 3:31pm

Hi Brian... Not sure what you mean?  Could you please explain a bit more?

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #28 - Dec 4th, 2006 at 7:22pm

L0KI wrote on Dec 4th, 2006 at 3:31pm:
Hi Brian... Not sure what you mean?  Could you please explain a bit more?

Sure. Your problem is with the Ghost CD Recovery Environment. Your Ghost 9 works fine from Windows. ReatogoXPE is a Preinstalled Environment that will run a Ghost 9 plugin as well as a lot of other apps. So you may be able to restore your Ghost images from this environment as it's different from the Norton environment. Worth trying.

Details are in the links I posted.

IP Logged

L0KI
Gnarly

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #29 - Dec 4th, 2006 at 10:23pm

Ok thanks for that...

So it looks like my meager options are now doubled  Tongue

1) my original approach to try and replace the Intel drivers in RE CD and recompile...

2) run ghost from a ReatogoXP bootable environment rather than the Ghost RE

I'll try and give the ReatogoXP/slipstream project a go tomorrow..... I'll report back with results.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print