Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Create image from Ghost 10 Recovery CD (Read 10064 times)
rulirahm
Radmeister

The Norton Ghost 1

Asia

Create image from Ghost 10 Recovery CD
Dec 4th, 2006 at 4:24am

I read from FAQ about Using Ghost 10 Recovery CD to Create and Restore where Grizzly say that
Quote:
I selected Restore Ghost Legacy Image, which brought up Ghost8.2.  I then clicked Local-Disc-To Image and proceeded to backup my entire C: drive to the external drive.

Does it mean that I can create image of my drive C (where Windows installed) using Norton Ghost 10 Recovery CD to drive D or CD/DVDs? I'm using Norton Ghost ver. 10 (not ver. 8 ).

RR

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Re: Create image from Ghost 10 Recovery CD
Reply #1 - Dec 4th, 2006 at 10:50pm

rulirahm, Ghost 8.2 is the legacy program in the Ghost 10 Recovery Environment. You can create images to a hard drive partition but not to CD/DVD. *.gho images can be restored from HD partitions or optical media.

IP Logged

rulirahm
Radmeister

The Norton Ghost 1

Asia

Reply #2 - Dec 5th, 2006 at 3:52am

Brian wrote on Dec 4th, 2006 at 10:50pm:
rulirahm, Ghost 8.2 is the legacy program in the Ghost 10 Recovery Environment.
What's that means? Sorry, I'm new with Norton Ghost Embarrassed  Is it that I just can only restore a backup which is made by Norton Ghost 8.2?

Brian wrote on Dec 4th, 2006 at 10:50pm:
You can create images to a hard drive partition but not to CD/DVD. *.gho images can be restored from HD partitions or optical media.
So I can directly boot my PC with Norton Ghost 10 RE then create backup of my HDD/Partition, right? And the destination can't be on CD/DVDs or USB HDD?

Another thing, my PC (laptop Toshiba Satellite L100) came with Recovery CD. I can recovery my PC using this CD and got factory settings again. Like XPSP2, Office, Toshiba S/W etc. A friend told me that if I restored a backup (created by Norton Ghost) after running Recovery CD, I'll got often error. Is it true?

RR

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #3 - Dec 5th, 2006 at 9:08am

rulirahm

Quote:
What's that means? Sorry, I'm new with Norton Ghost

"Original Ghost* was DOS based--did not run under a Windows OS (including WinPE--which is what the Norton Ghost 10 Recovery Environment is).

The last retail version of Ghost was Ghost 2003--and although there was a Windows GUI for setting up a Ghost procedure, it still had to shut down Windows, boot to DOS, perform the procedure, and then boot back to Windows.

The Corporate versions of Ghost have been numbers like Ghost 6.x, 7.x, and 8.x--these versions typically have had new and more advanced features compared to the retail counter part.  Ghost 7.5 was the similar release of the retail version Ghost 2003.

With the introduction of Ghost 8.x, it still had the DOS based Ghost program (ghost.exe), but also had a program that was designed to run only under a Windows OS (ghost32.exe)--its GUI interface in a command window looks almost the same as the Ghost 2003--and has many of the same functional commands.  It's main limitation is that it can not image the OS partition of the active OS that you are running the program under--and it can not image a partition if a Windows program has an open program that's using files on other non-OS partitions.

A crippled version of ghost32.exe has been included on the Norton Ghost 10 Recovery Disk--its file name on the CD is *RESTOREGHOST.EXE*.  It's *crippled* in that it does not support writing to an optical drive--only to HDD's--which can be internal and/or external.  It is there so folks who may have used the DOS versions of Ghost in the past have the ability to access their older DOS based image files--thus it is summoned in Ghost 10's Recovery Environment as being for *Legacy Ghost* restores. 

Ghost32.exe, when run from the Norton 10 Recovery Disk, is working from system RAM, and the system's OS is not active, so it can create images of the whole HDD--but the image files are the old DOS type files with *.gho* and *.ghs* extensions--and not the newer Ghost 9/10 image file types.

Norton Ghost 9 Recovery Disk also has *ghost32.exe* by the same file name of *RESTOREGHOST.EXE*, but it is even more crippled in that it will not allow for the creation of backup images--only for the restoring of previous DOS based images.

Ghost 9/10 can only restore previously created Ghost 9/10 backup image files when in the Recovery Environment--it can not create any backup images--those can only be done from the installed program when the Windows OS is booted and running.

Quote:
A friend told me that if I restored a backup (created by Norton Ghost) after running Recovery CD, I'll got often error. Is it true?

Many folks have hidden recovery partitions on their HDD--and depending on how they create Ghost backups and restores, this can lead to loss of ability to boot the system, and/or loss of the those recovery partitions or at least the functional ability of those partitions.  If your recovery data does not depend on a HDD partition and is on a CD--then it's not likely to cause a problem.  And, if it is going to be a problem, then there are ways to avoid the problem and/or fix it.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

rulirahm
Radmeister

The Norton Ghost 1

Asia

Reply #4 - Dec 5th, 2006 at 10:03am

Thanks fo the answer. Now, I know that I can't make a backup from Ghost RE  Smiley

Below picture is the already made backup (Full System Backup and its incremental) of my Norton Ghost:

...  Grin

Another "Define new backup" already saved to CD/DVDs. It took two DVD. Created two days after the 1st Full System Backup (picture above) created. If I want to restore from CD/DVDs, do I need the 1st Full System Backup? Or can I just simply restore the backup from CD/DVDs?

Oh yes, with the Recovery CD, I can choose only delete data on drive C and leave the partition on drive D.

RR

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #5 - Dec 5th, 2006 at 10:25am

rulirahm

Quote:
Thanks fo the answer. Now, I know that I can't make a backup from Ghost RE

You can make a backup--but you have to use the *Legacy Ghost* ghost32 v8.2 and the files will be in the *.gho* and *.ghs* format--not the Ghost 9/10 format.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

rulirahm
Radmeister

The Norton Ghost 1

Asia

Reply #6 - Dec 5th, 2006 at 11:03am

Any different between them? Ghost 8.2 and Ghost 10? Is the Ghost 8.2's size big? I'm gonna try it...

RR

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print