Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
A Question for Night Owl. (Read 13311 times)
Ivanov
Gnarly

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

A Question for Night Owl.
Dec 7th, 2006 at 1:33am

Hello Night Owl,

Since I consider you an authority on Ghost 2003, that’s the reason I am putting the question to you.

I don’t want to switch over to either Ghost 10 or Acronis 10, as over the years am so comfortable with Ghost 2003 & the results have always been immaculate with its restoration.

Your guide taught me how to make a bootable Ghost 2003 CD, despite that I can’t find a DOS driver for the infra red mouse; I toggle with the Key board to get the desired results.

I am handicapped on this machine since it’s got only one primary & 1 optical drive.

When I partition my primary drive (using PM 8.0), the partition is named after the next letter to the optical drive i.e.  E.

I have created & stored images on that E partition & later bunt them on a DVD, haven’t restored such as image though.

Will this renaming of partitions require changes in the BIOS to be made or they are made automatically on a reboot?

Will this renaming, affect the image restoration in any way?

Any Dos & Don’ts needed to be done when creating a new partition in the primary C?

One more no ghost related question….how can I know the exact technical specs of the TV tuner board on my machine.

Have tried using Sandra 2007 & Everest 3.5……but to no result other than Sony Mpeg Lucid Encoder…

Sorry to trouble you like always…..

Have a great evening…..

Regards!

Ivanov.

IP Logged

DrWho2006
Gnarly

Retired PC tech

Central Florida USA

Re: A Question for Night Owl.
Reply #1 - Dec 7th, 2006 at 1:45pm

Ivanov,
While waiting on the "Nite Owl" can I weigh in on this topic?

I've been using Ghost since 1996 when we used it to clone HD's in a shop I worked in, briefly.
I've had no problem with Ghost 2003 since I got it off of a motherboard drivers disk, several years back.  Just recently I found it will not work with the new AMD 939 motherboards. 

From info I've gleaned from this forum I've found that there is a build of Ghost 2003 newer than the one I've been using.  It's called Build 793.  At the top of the Credit Screen, it will say Ghost 2003 and not Ghost 2000-2002.

If you have Ghost 2003 run from a boot disk, you should be able to burn your Ghost Image files directly to a DVD and completely bypass going to the HD.

An image on your ONE HD isn't much good anyway, if that one drive crashes. 

Good Luck,
The Doctor  8)

Norton Killer = http://www.symantec.com/symnrt/&&Don't WORK your Computer, Make your Computer WORK for you!&&...
IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #2 - Dec 7th, 2006 at 3:23pm

Ivanov

Quote:
Will this renaming of partitions require changes in the BIOS to be made or they are made automatically on a reboot?

If your partitions are NTFS partition--they will not show up in DOS at all--but will be seen once you load Ghost 2003 and look for them as source or destinations in the DOS Ghost interface.  In this case, in DOS you will only *see* an A:> drive.

If one or more of your partitions are FAT32, then you will see them as C:\ and D:\--if using DOS optical drivers--the optical drive will be the next available drive letter after letters for HDD partitions have been assigned (unless you followed my
Guide
--then the optical drive will be assigned the drive letter X:\ ,but only for this DOS boot session--it will be whatever it was set to once back to WinXP)--so if no FAT32 partitions--then the optical drive will be C:\, if one FAT32 partition--then it will be D:\, and if two FAT32 partitions--the it will be E:\!

When booting to DOS, drive letters are re-assigned during each boot--unlike WinXP that *remembers* drive letter assignments--but WinXP checks on each boot to make sure those partitions are still there--and no HDD changes were made since last boot!

Quote:
Will this renaming, affect the image restoration in any way?

Only if you are restoring to a replacement HDD and you are changing the layout of the HDD partitions compared to what they were on the old HDD.  The drive letter assignments are *remembered* by the *Registry* that's save inside the image file--once restored, it will be looking for those  *remembered* drives.

Personally, I like to change the optical drive letter to X:\ using the Disk Management of WinXP--right click on *My Computer*, select *Manage*, and then *Disk Management*--right click on the optical drive once there, and select *Change Drive Letter and Paths...* to make those changes.  This get it out of the way of other future drive such as additional partitions or adding external USB HDD's, etc..

Quote:
Any Dos & Don’ts needed to be done when creating a new partition in the primary C?

I always create an *Extended Partition* and place data partitions inside that *extended partition* as *logical partitions*, and thereby I'm not using up any more of the max 4 primary partitions per HDD (your boot partition is using one primary partition slot of the 4 available slots in the Master Partition table, the *Extended Partition* uses a second primary slot and it can hold more *Logical Partitions* without using any more *primary slots*, and you still have two primary slots open (for another bootable OS, or if you use the Windows Ghost GUI to do Ghost procedures--you need at least on slot open for Ghost to create its *virtual partition*).

Quote:
Have tried using Sandra 2007 & Everest 3.5……but to no result other than Sony Mpeg Lucid Encoder…

If those two programs don't offer you anything--then I doubt this will help--but worth a try:

Click on *Start*, go to *Programs*, then to *Accessories*, and then *System Tools*, and then *System Information*--click on that and see if it brings up any useful information that may help you *Google* for additional information!

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Reply #3 - Dec 7th, 2006 at 7:02pm

Ivanov wrote on Dec 7th, 2006 at 1:33am:
"... I don’t want to switch over to either Ghost 10 or Acronis 10, as over the years am so comfortable with Ghost 2003 & the results have always been immaculate with its restoration..."

These are very much my sentiments as well.  However, in addition to DOS-dependent Norton
Ghost 2003 I have adopted the alternative of using a BartPE/Reatogo-X-PE optical disc configured
with "cold-imaging" Norton Ghost Ver 8.2 (plus Norton Partition Magic 8.0).  The key elements of Ver 8.2 are readily derived from the: (1) installation CDs for either Norton Ghost 10.0 or Norton Save & Restore; or (2) Symantec Recovery Disk included with the Norton SystemWorks 2006 Premier suite.  

Unlike DOS-dependent Ghost 2003, the Windows XP Preinstalled Environment allows you to engage the legacy Backup/Restore or Clone "cold-imaging" procedures with the side benefit of bypassing most USB mass-storage device and SATA HDD glitches.  In essence, this procedure uses
restoreghost.exe
(an alternate name for
ghost32.exe
) to allow both immediate creation of Ghost Backup images or the converse Recovery of such images that are in fact totally compatible and interchangeable with those *.gho/*.ghs files created with the
ghost.exe
of Norton Ghost 2003 -
but not with those created with Ghost 9, Ghost 10.0, or Save & Restore during "hot-imaging".

EP
Cry

IP Logged

Ivanov
Gnarly

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #4 - Dec 8th, 2006 at 7:37am

Thanks NightOwl for your indepth reply & EP for your views.

Any specific reasons, to partition an all NTFS drive into FAT32 partitions?

Is restoration & burning an image better from FAT32 as compared to NTFS?

As you smartly said that you always divide your machine’s drive into extended partition & create logical in it, for well written reasons…..do you create them using FDISK or 3rd party soft wares like PM?

I am unable to create a new extended partition in my machine’s drive C, using PM. The wizard creates a logical rather than extended one, after the primary C?

I was thinking on the lines partitioning the primary drive into 2 i.e. C & D & renaming the optical from D to E?

Thanks for your views regarding TV Tuner board. Everest shows it in Devices>PCI.......

[ Sony Lucid Integrated Mpeg encoder [10CF-202A] [NoDB] ]

Device Properties:
Device Description                                Sony Lucid Integrated Mpeg encoder [10CF-202A] [NoDB]
     Bus Type                                          PCI
     Bus / Device / Function                           8 / 5 / 0
     Device ID                                         10CF-202A
     Subsystem ID                                      104D-81FA
     Device Class                                      0480 (Multimedia Device)
     Revision                                          00
     Fast Back-to-Back Transactions                    Supported, Disabled

Device Features:
     66 MHz Operation                                  Not Supported
     Bus Mastering                                     Enabled

Regards!

Ivanov.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #5 - Dec 8th, 2006 at 9:46am

Ivanov

Quote:
Any specific reasons, to partition an all NTFS drive into FAT32 partitions?

Only if you want DOS access to a partition when booted to DOS--for instance, you could have all the DOS utility programs available to run from there after using a boot CD or floppy boot disk to boot system to just the A:\ prompt--this solves the problem of not being able to include a DOS program such as Ghost on the boot disc or disk because there are too many drivers on the boot disc or disk and not enough room--but, you still need those programs available independent of the HDD partition!--in case the HDD fails!--having a FAT32 HDD partition is a *convenience*! 

By the way--it can be anywhere--I put mine at the end of the HDD--not worried about *performance*--and it can be a *primary* if you want to be able to use it to boot from--or inside an extended partitions as a *logical* partition--and it can be *small*--I make mine about 300 MB's!

Quote:
Is restoration & burning an image better from FAT32 as compared to NTFS?

Might be--on a given system--performance may vary depending on the motherboard *chipset*--but, it may be only on *older* systems: 
Performance testing Ghost 2003

Quote:
do you create them using FDISK or 3rd party soft wares like PM?

I always use PartitionMagic (PM).

Quote:
I am unable to create a new extended partition in my machine’s drive C, using PM. The wizard creates a logical rather than extended one, after the primary C?

A *logical* partition can only exist inside an *extended* partition--PM is *automatically* creating an *extended* partition by default in the case you describe above--if you over-ride that selection--then PM will create a *primary* partition!

If you look at the PM graphical representation of the HDD layout after creating the *task* of creating that partition, it should show the *extended* partition as well as the *logical* partition you have setup--note--until you hit the *Apply* button--no actual changes have occurred on the HDD--the graphical layout is just showing what things will look like *after* you *Apply* the changes!

Quote:
I was thinking on the lines partitioning the primary drive into 2 i.e. C & D & renaming the optical from D to E?

The most common setup--works for many!

Quote:
Thanks for your views regarding TV Tuner board. Everest shows it in Devices>PCI.......

Did the Windows *System Information* offer any additional insight?

I just noticed on my system--I can access the *System Information* easily by right-clicking *My Computer*--and the option *System Information* is in the drop down menu!

____________________________________________________________________________________________

IP Logged

Ivanov
Gnarly

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #6 - Dec 10th, 2006 at 7:31am

Hello NightOwl,

I managed to partition my only hard drive into C & D (extended) partitions, using PM 100 & 150 GB respectively. Renamed the optical to E.

But on AVG scanning it said that the primary one’s i.e. C Boot Sector had been changed & the MBR of the extended D had been changed.......

Why did this occur.....what did I do wrong?

How can I fix this?

What are the usual causes of change in either the Boot Sector or MBR, apart from Viruses etc?

Can 3rd party soft wares like PM cause such a change?

AVG version 7.5 can detect such changes.

Hoping to hear your views….

As regards TV Tuner board called Sony in CA, but they won’t reveal the make or the exact specs, they say it’s an OEM board.....typical.

Regards!

Ivanov.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #7 - Dec 10th, 2006 at 11:10pm

Ivanov

Quote:
What are the usual causes of change in either the Boot Sector or MBR, apart from Viruses etc?

Your use of PM to create and/or re-size any partitions will trigger a warning from an Anti-virus program that monitors the Master Boot Record (MBR).  The Master Partition Table is in the Boot Sector--so if you just modified the HDD, then those warnings are okay because *you* just made those changes--there should be some way to tell the anti-virus program that you are aware of the changes and it's *OK*!

Partition tables for the extended partition will also change if you create them or re-size them--so that's okay too.

IP Logged

Ivanov
Gnarly

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #8 - Dec 11th, 2006 at 3:38am

Hello NightOwl,

You mean to say, when partitioning the anti virus soft ware should be disabled to avoid such a happening i.e. changes in Boot Sector or MBR.........

Hope this change in Boot Sector & MBR will not affect the functioning of my machine?

Do I need to undo the changes & create partitions again after disabling the antivirus software?

Regards!

Ivanov.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #9 - Dec 11th, 2006 at 8:43am

Ivanov

Quote:
You mean to say, when partitioning the anti virus soft ware should be disabled to avoid such a happening i.e. changes in Boot Sector or MBR.........

If the anti-virus program scans for changes in the MBR/boot sector, then that will happen again when ever the program is designed to check the MBR/boot sector for any changes--disabling the program when making changes will not effect what happens when you re-enable the program and it once again scans.

Quote:
Hope this change in Boot Sector & MBR will not affect the functioning of my machine?

Well, you have to create *changes* in the MBR/boot sector if you want to change your partition layout--so no choice there if you want the altered partitioning!--so to the extent that you now have more partitions to your liking--yes it affects the functioning of the machine

Quote:
Do I need to undo the changes & create partitions again after disabling the antivirus software?

I'm not familiar with your anti-virus software, so I don't know exactly how you update your MBR/boot sector *signature* that the anti-virus program has created (probably some type of *check sum*--a numeric value based on a scan of the data present in the MBR/boot sector area--when ever you alter the data in that sector, the anti-virus program compares its new scan to the *signature* it originally made--if they do not match, then you get the warning.

With the Norton Anti-virus program, you do what they call *inoculate* the MBR/boot sector--which means when the program detects a change, and you know the change is from your recent partitioning changes--you tell the program to *inoculate* the change by creating a new MBR/boot sector *signature* that is now the new baseline that the program compares to when it again scans that region.

If the program warns of changes that you are not aware of doing yourself--now you have to worry about a potential boot sector virus issue.

So, you need to look at the *Help* files for your anti-virus program and determine how you *tell* the program to re-set its *signature* to the new baseline--then the warning will go away until a new change has occurred!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print