Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
To Install New Drive (Read 7869 times)
WilliamP
Technoluster

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

To Install New Drive
Dec 7th, 2006 at 2:07pm

Right now I have a Ghost 2003 image on an external SATA drive. The SATA enclosure is connected to a SATA card. The internal drive is also SATA but I was told the card was needed so the  enclosure could be hot booted. All works fine. It is a Dell 8400. Now here is the question. If my internal drive dies and I install a new drive ,how do I set the new drive up so I can Ghost to the new drive from the external? I have never had to do that and I just want to know how should the need arise. Thanks in advance for the help.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Re: To Install New Drive
Reply #1 - Dec 7th, 2006 at 2:20pm

WilliamP

What Ghost procedure did you use to get the Ghost 2003 image onto the SATA External HDD?--i.e. how was that accomplished?

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

DrWho2006
Gnarly

Retired PC tech

Central Florida USA

Reply #2 - Dec 7th, 2006 at 2:21pm

I guess I'm just too "Old School" to have much faith in external drives. I've just heard too many horror stories about them.

If you launch ghost 2003 from a boot floppy or CD, you can tell it to burn your Ghost Image file directly to a DVD or multiple CD's.  In the case of the boot floppy, Ghost will offer to put that disk on your DVD making it bootable.

Booting from a DOS boot disk is the ONLY way I've run Ghost since I first used it in 1996.

In case of disaster, that's the safest place to have your Ghost Image file.  (on a bootable CD or DVD)

Cheers!
Doc 8)

Norton Killer = http://www.symantec.com/symnrt/&&Don't WORK your Computer, Make your Computer WORK for you!&&...
IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #3 - Dec 7th, 2006 at 2:46pm

WilliamP,

I'd be interested to hear what brand external enclosure you are using. I used a Vantec external SATA enclosure with my Dell 8400 and it wasn't satisfactory. Windows froze with "Delayed write failures" after transferring more than 1 to 2 GB. The same enclosure is fine with a Dell 9150.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #4 - Dec 7th, 2006 at 2:47pm

DrWho2006

Hmmm....interesting--I wouldn't call burning to CD or DVD *Old School*!  I'm betting you were never able to do that until you started using Ghost 2002!  I think USB support showed up in Ghost 2003!

Yes, there are plenty of posts about problems accessing an External HDD in DOS--especially USB which was not developed to be a DOS standard, but *only* a Windows standard--but, if you solve the problems of access--and for most it's simply using the Panasonic USB DOS drivers correctly--there are few, if any, problems that I've seen posted.

The most common problems seem to occur if using the cheapest off-brand USB controller card and/or HDD--and especially USB enclosure *kits*!

But, I have heard in these boards far more image creation failures and corrupt images saved to optical media than any other problem associated with corrupt images!  Of course, again that seems mostly related to hardware/software incompatibilities and occurs mostly with the cheaper off-brand optical drives and/or cheap optical media--I have no idea what the differences are in how the components of optical drives differ--but that seems to be the trend.

Once again, if you have compatible hardware/software, there are few problems reported regarding saving images to optical media as well!

By the way, did you try the solution I suggested in your other thread regarding your problem with the AMD 939 motherboards:

Ghost 2003 with an AMD Socket AM2 (or 939) mob

____________________________________________________________________________________________

IP Logged

WilliamP
Technoluster

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #5 - Dec 7th, 2006 at 3:17pm

I have a Kingwin enclosure connected via Sata cable to my Silicon image Sil 3112 SataLink Controller Card. I think it is a Vantec. I use the Ghost Boot floppy. On the first of each month I turn on the enclosure ,then format the drive. Then with the enclosure left on I re-boot sticking in the Ghost boot floppy and go from there.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #6 - Dec 7th, 2006 at 6:44pm

WilliamP

Well, you're making me guess at an awful lot of possibilities, but here goes--you will have to follow up and clarify(!)--

Quote:
Right now I have a Ghost 2003
on an external SATA drive.

Well, I assume both SATA HDD's show up in the DOS Ghost GUI--so no special drivers are needed.  But, if you are creating an image file, what's the reasoning behind this:

Quote:
On the first of each month I turn on the enclosure ,then
format the drive

When I first read that, I thought you must be doing a disk-to-disk clone of your internal SATA HDD--but, in your initial post you say you create an *image*--that would simply be a file, and you should be able to just delete that, and store a new image on your external SATA HDD in the Enclosure.

But, just to be clear--is the image on the external HDD your only current backup?  If you format your external HDD and that image is now *gone*, you are very vulnerable until you once again have a replacement image backup--what if something goes *terribly* wrong in the time it takes to create the new backup every month?!  A better approach would be to keep the last backup image around until you have a new backup image created, verified it with an *Integrity Check*--then delete the older one--personally, I keep more like 4 images, and make a 5th before I delete the oldest! 

I do not re-format the external HDD--I simply delete old files and create new ones to the same old partition over and over again!

Or, are you really doing a *disk-to-disk* clone?

Quote:
and go from there

Is your internal SATA HDD partitioned into more than one partition?

Are you saving to the Ghost image file a *whole* disk backup image--*Local > Disk > to Image*?

Or, are you saving only a single partition--*Local > Partition > to Image*?

If you have more than a single partition on your internal HDD, and you make only single partition backups--then you will only be able to recover those single partitions that you have a backup of--and any other partitions you do not have an image backup of will be *lost*!

Quote:
If my internal drive dies and I install a new drive ,how do I set the new drive up so I can Ghost to the new drive from the external?

With the system shut down, replace the internal SATA HDD with its replacement, boot from boot floppy, use *Local > Disk > from Image*--select the image file on the external SATA HDD as source of the image--select the internal SATA HDD as the destination--it will not matter if the replacement HDD is new and *blank*, or previously partitioned and formatted--Ghost will over-write the HDD placing the data in the image file onto the destination HDD--the destination HDD will now look exactly like whatever you took the original image of--only the size might vary if your replacement HDD is not the same size!

Can there be problems--sure--the more complicated you have made your system, the more likely there can be problems--for instance--if you create a boot partition just for the boot files as Rad recommends (personally--I wouldn't) and put your OS on a separate partition--unless you have a *whole HDD* image (my personal recommendation--others disagree), you could end up with boot issues--but fixable if you are prepared for it.

Also, if you have multiple partitions, but prefer to only make Ghost images of single partitions rather than *whole disk* images--then you have to contend with *lost* partitions when you want to restore--again, you can recover easily if you have planned for this possibility!

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Reply #7 - Dec 7th, 2006 at 7:29pm

WilliamP wrote on Dec 7th, 2006 at 2:07pm:
"... If my internal drive dies and I install a new drive, how do I set the new drive up so I can Ghost to the new drive from the external?..."

Peruse the post below to see how sure and certain Norton Ghost 2003 really can be after performing a "disk-to-image" Backup:

El_Pescador wrote on Dec 11th, 2004 at 9:51pm:
"Kowabonga, Buffalo Bob !!!"

NightOwl -

Here is how it actually went down:

(1) Formatted 60GB Maxtor DiamondMax Plus HDD as single C: NTFS primary active partition mounted in a USB 2.0 ByteccUSA
ME-320U2 external enclosure kit;

(2) Formatted 80GB Seagate Barracuda HDD as single C: NTFS primary active partition mounted in a dual-mode (combination) USB 2.0/FireWire 400 Macally PHR-100AC external enclosure kit;

(3) Formatted 120GB Seagate Barracuda HDD with C: as 80GB NTFS primary active partition (and F: as 40GB FAT32 logical drive within the extended partition) mounted in a USB 2.0 Macally PHR-100A external enclosure kit;

(4) Extracted a Norton Ghost 2003 'image-to disk' BackUp image of the 60GB Hitachi DeskStar HDD residing as master in the Dell Dimension 8300 desktop PC, transmitting it via FireWire 400 cable to the 80GB Seagate HDD - Integrity Check passed following creation;

(5) Moved Ghost image via USB 2.0 cable over LAN to 80GB NTFS logical drive partition residing on the 120GB Seagate external HDD - Integrity Check passed following transfer;

(6) Using a Dell Dimension 8100 as a platform for Ghost 2003, attempted to perform a Ghost Restore of the image in the 120GB Seagate HDD to the 60GB Maxtor HDD residing in its external enclosure - the process froze and became totally unresponsive at the nine percent completion level - termination could only be achieved by interrupting electrical power;

(7) Reformatted the 60GB Maxtor HHD and immediately copied the BackUp image from the 120GB Seagate external HDD to the 60GB Maxtor - gratified to see Integrity Check again passed following this unanticipated transfer;

(8) Reformatted the 80GB Seagate as an alternate destination for the Ghost Restore process and, displacing the 120GB Seagate HDD enclosure, connected it to the Dimension 8100 via USB 2.0 cable;

(9) Again using the Dell Dimension 8100 as a platform for Ghost 2003, routed the Ghost BackUp image from the troublesome 60GB Maxtor HDD to the 80GB Seagate HDD resulting in a successful Ghost Restore procedure to a HDD inside an enclosure as opposed to an in situ procedure (NOTE: The Ghost Interactive Mode from Windows XP was used in this instance to ensure the destination would be an external HDD and not the master HDD of the host PC - if anyone has an idea on how to accomplish this from inside Windows, I would appreciate their comments.);

(10) After removing the 60GB Hitachi DeskStar HDD from the master position in the Dimension 8300, the cloned 80GB Seagate HDD was taken from its enclosure to have its jumpers reset from Master to Cable Select and then it was at last emplaced in the PC as the master HDD - and with the system booting up just as normal as could be, with everything appearing to be in place, a discreet notice popped up that new Plug and Play hardware had been detected that required a reboot for normal function - no sweat, it was just the 80GB Seagate HDD replacing the 60GB Maxtor HDD;

EPILOGUE:  Just as NightOwl predicted, there were no conflicts arising from FAT32 versus NTFS file system formatting, and the Dell Diagnostic EISA partition in the FAT file system format appeared in pristine fashion on the cloned 80GB Seagate HDD.  Most gratifying of all was the automated 25 percent allocation of extra space on a pro rata basis to the working partitions - see illustration below.

img.photobucket.com/albums/v235/El_Pescador/ROZVIII.jpg

EP

IP Logged

WilliamP
Technoluster

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #8 - Dec 7th, 2006 at 7:52pm

Oh boy you laid a lot on me. I will try to respond. Ok ,both drives show up and I create an image on the external drive. I do this in case my internal drive dies I can replace the internal drive then Ghost from external to internal. Basically I format then create a new image. I see what you are saying, but I have never created more than one image at a time on the external drive. I don't have partitions on my C drive. I feel that the chance of something happening to to my C drive between formatting my ext. then creating  a new image is possible but very slim. I just didn't know what I would have to do with the new drive before booting it with the Ghost floppy. Will the Ghost boot floppy take care of a newly installed Sata drive?

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #9 - Dec 7th, 2006 at 8:51pm

WilliamP

Quote:
I just didn't know what I would have to do with the new drive before booting it with the Ghost floppy. Will the Ghost boot floppy take care of a newly installed Sata drive?

Yes, Ghost will take care of everything--the new blank, empty HDD would show up as a *destination* drive, but would be *greyed out* as a source, because there would be *nothing* on it!

If it were a *used* HDD, it would then be seen by Ghost as either a destination HDD for a restore,  or a source HDD for creating an image of it.

IP Logged

WilliamP
Technoluster

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #10 - Dec 8th, 2006 at 5:19am

Thank you very much for the help. Of course I hope that this will never be needed, but I just wanted to have all my ducks in a row just in case. I just love Ghost 2003 . And you guys are a great help.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print